Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Exhaust Tip Fitment

robhauser

Corvette
1990 Coupe - White on Red
I have decided to replace that overly loud, resonance creating mufflers that came on my car with a more stock styled exhaust. I decided the on the stock-style aluminized mufflers that Mid-America sells. I love the way it looks and sounds, but I am not sure they are fitting right. The ends of the tips are about a centimeter short of where the body work begins. Is that right? It seems that the tips should extend into the cavities molded into the rear fascia. Also, I am afraid that where they are now, the heat coming out the tips could warp the fascia. Does anyone have any good reference photos of a stock 1990 exhaust from the rear?

Thanks in advance,

- Rob
1990 Coupe
Richmond, VA

You definitely want the ends of your tips to extend past the bottom of the bumper cover.

Number 1, you want the exhaust fumes to be exiting the car completely.

Number 2, with the tip a little past the bumper, your resonance will be kept to a minimum.

Tomorrow I will measure mine and post how far they are past the bumper.

SAVE THE :w

Thanks LT4MAN,

I knew there was something wrong here... it just looks wrong tucked up behind the body. I think whoever installed the Super Turbo's before I owned the car cut the pipes and they are too short now. I suppose I need to go look for a new rear Y-pipe.

Please do send that measurement tomorrow. I'm looking forward to getting this right. If you don't mind, can you also send an approximate measurement of the clearance of the top of the tips from the bumper cover?

Thanks again,
Rob

I'd like to know the answer too. I just replaced both my mufflers with stock style from NAPA. The tips are about 1/2 to 1 inch short of the end of the plastic bumper. I've had them on since April with no noticeable effect on the material of the bumpers.
Tony

Exhaust tip location

The stock (rectangular) exhaust tips on my 95 are located about an inch and a quarter below and and inch and a quarter forward of the rear bend in the body cove for the exhaust. So that puts the upper exhaust openning about 3/8 rear-ward of the body lip.
Hope this is clear enough, tried for a drawing but it won't paste in, it should show as an attachment.

Thanks LT4MAN,

I knew there was something wrong here... it just looks wrong tucked up behind the body. I think whoever installed the Super Turbo's before I owned the car cut the pipes and they are too short now. I suppose I need to go look for a new rear Y-pipe.

Please do send that measurement tomorrow. I'm looking forward to getting this right. If you don't mind, can you also send an approximate measurement of the clearance of the top of the tips from the bumper cover?

Thanks again,
Rob

I am running Magnaflow polished stainless steel tips with a double rolled edge. The end of the tip is curved so the following measurements are as close as I can do.

The bumper cover on my 96 is not straight across the width of the car. The bumper curves towards the front of the car on both sides.

The tips are just under an inch below the flat portion of the cut-out in the cover.

The left (driver's) tip comes out past the bottom of the bumper about 3/4" on the right side of the tip.

The left side of the tip comes past the bumper about 7/8".

Both tips are perfectly level and square to the center line of the car. In other words, they do NOT follow the curve of the bumper.

You have a 1990. Your bumper is more square at the rear than mine.

I hope this helps.

Please send me a PM if you need more clarification.

SAVE THE WAVE! :w

Hey Rob! my 94 has stock exhaust. The tip sticks out past the front edge of the bumper about 1". The drop is also about 1".

Are you a member of the Richmond Corvette Club? They have a meeting in the 'west end' off Woodman road this Fri night at 730. Probably many examples and lots of suggestions at the meeting?

Wes

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom