Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Expensive oil change!

Larry's Yellow Rdstr

Corvette
05 black cpe-Porsche GT3
I have about 750 miles on my 04 coupe and decided to take it in to the dealer for its' first oil change. Service writer quoted me $87.00 for Mobil 1- okay no problem, a little high but I wanted it done. Car was ready in 20 minutes. Went to get into the car and notice two 2" scrapes on the trailing edge of the left taillight housing. The scrapes are deep enough where the fibreglas is showing.

The service manager just happened to be standing there as I inspected the scrapes and immediately volunteered to "take care of it and get it out of here"

Due to events occuring in the past two years at various dealerships I am paranoid to take my cars in for service at a dealership.

We'll see about the quality of repairs and how many hoops I have to jump through before the car is as is was when I left my home this morning. The car is black!

I'll keep you all posted.

Larry

A friend of mine works in a paint shop He says they replace the rear section instead of trying to match the paint as it is plastic and have not been able to match the paint ?

Good heavens. Another oil change-gone-bad at a CA dealership :(

Sorry to hear about that, I hope they take care of it quickly and professionally.

Tammy

750 miles !! That oil didn't have a chance to get up to operating temperature.

Was that a key board error and its really 7500 miles.

My question is why hasnt GM crack done on these dealers?

Time to start doing the work yourself!:D

Edmond said:
Time to start doing the work yourself!:D
EXACTLY. I don't trust garages are mechanics AT ALL for this very reason. There is no respect for the cars they treat and furthermore those places are usually in such a rush and employ people not above minumum wage..... What kind of regard do you think they cultivate in their employees. Or said another way, what kind of motivation do they have to ensure these things don't happen????

I have mine done at walmart only $29.00 bucks for an oil change with mobil 1. You can't by it yourself for that price.

:eek Wally World ???? No disrespect intended,but I won't even take my vette there to pick up trash bags or paper towels. Luckily the dealer I take mine to DOES take extra care with Corvettes brought into them. They allow me to go back into the shop while my car is on the lift. Last time they even asked me if I wanted them to lift it a little higher so I could really examine the underneath. (they were mounting new front tires) When it's time to get it inspected, they let me put the sticker on myself so that I'm happy with the placement of it. I guess there are good dealerships and bad ones. I guess I should add that they are a small dealership, and they do specialize in Corvettes.

Well I do know the person under the car and he does respect corvettes. An oil change at local chevy dealer here involves making an appointment and spending your morning reading old magazines.

Larry's Yellow Rdstr said:
I have about 750 miles on my 04 coupe and decided to take it in to the dealer for its' first oil change. Service writer quoted me $87.00 for Mobil 1- okay no problem, a little high but I wanted it done. Car was ready in 20 minutes. Went to get into the car and notice two 2" scrapes on the trailing edge of the left taillight housing. The scrapes are deep enough where the fibreglas is showing.

The service manager just happened to be standing there as I inspected the scrapes and immediately volunteered to "take care of it and get it out of here"

Due to events occuring in the past two years at various dealerships I am paranoid to take my cars in for service at a dealership.

We'll see about the quality of repairs and how many hoops I have to jump through before the car is as is was when I left my home this morning. The car is black!

Larry
Damn!..Scratched already...750 miles???Sory to hear that ...I am changing my own oil at 1500 miles...no need to change it any sooner...did you put a magnetic plug back in?...I got one for mine...and btw...how could it be ready in 20 mins when he should have drained it for 30 mins just to get all of the old (hardly even used )oil out?:confused

Update...I am changing oil as per what "Cessna172M"... recommended in his post......he confirmed what I had heard a lot from experienced engine builders..thanks David...:beer

MAC5 said:
750 miles !! That oil didn't have a chance to get up to operating temperature.

Was that a key board error and its really 7500 miles.
It doesn't hurt to change the oil after the break-in period. I know I had mine changed after about 600 miles.

I guess I'm lucky - I have a perfomance shop that specializes in C5's here in town. They do top notch work and I've never had a problem with them. The Vette's there today getting some new brakes.

I had mine done at the dealership. . .no problems. . .But I NEVER let my 'Vette out of my sight. I asked the Service Mgr. if they'd heard about the Stewarts fiasco, and all he would say was "Oh yeah. . ."

Why change the oil at 750 miles?

:w
Susan

Oh. . .another question. . .I was told to change it at 3000, 5000 & 6000 miles (3 differing opinions). I had it changed at 3000. Which is correct?

Larry's Yellow Rdstr said:

Larry
Eventhough I own a collision shop and could change the oil here I don't simply because of the lifting. I go down the street to a Quicklube that has the under ground access. With the agreement they only change the oil and filter, I watch, and they don't touch anything else. Now I don't get in their way or pester them. They're used to me doing this.

Richard.

yellow_2002_germany said:
It doesn't hurt to change the oil after the break-in period. I know I had mine changed after about 600 miles.
=========================================================
Wow...isn't the break-in period the first 500 miles? So why did you wait 100 miles more to change the oil?...where did you get the number 600 for changing for the 1st time?...why not 700 or 800 or 1500 since 3000 miles would be the usual number and even more with synthetic oil? My my DIC still reads 91% and I now have 1050 miles on the clock. I know you are going to say that during the first 500 miles that there is "new enging metal shavings" produced, but wont the oil filter catch these?...I'm really confused...Help me out and give me your rationalization for changing synthetic oil at 600 miles...put my mind at ease...Thanks....:) :beer
And btw...I'm not worried about the money part of changing oil...Its a Vette...:L

a little high

A little high? 87 bucks for an oil change? Did I read that right? I know things are much more expensive in CA, but $87 for an oil change is hard for this Southern boy to believe.

chevyaddict said:
EXACTLY. I don't trust garages are mechanics AT ALL for this very reason. There is no respect for the cars they treat and furthermore those places are usually in such a rush and employ people not above minumum wage..... What kind of regard do you think they cultivate in their employees. Or said another way, what kind of motivation do they have to ensure these things don't happen????
This makes me feel bad as a technician.. from my side of the table it seems there are alot of techs out there that do care about their quality of work. And do respect customer cars. Accidents do happen, most times because techs are in a hurry because they want to make a decent living and the only way possible is to rush their work to beat a book time so they can book more hours and make comission this is how most dealers operate. It's not an easy career and is a challange to make decent wages in. People don't want to pay to have their cars fixed at least not enough to produce qaulity. there for shops dealers and independents much pinch pennies wich results in lower quality of workman ship... less pay for book hour, and then we must book more hours to make money and there for we rush to get the job done and in haste accidents happen things get over looked ect.. so I feel bad you feel this way.. this is my basis for reasoning what goes on beyond the waiting room.. most techs do care, there just in a hurry... I believe in quality workmanship and justified pay scale.. it's like being a doctor....
-=Rick

65vettish said:
a little high

A little high? 87 bucks for an oil change? Did I read that right? I know things are much more expensive in CA, but $87 for an oil change is hard for this Southern boy to believe.

It's hard for this Midwester boy to believe too! :(

I thought the average was in the $50 neighborhood for the C5 oil changes since they run synthetic.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom