Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Finally appear to have fixed power door lock

Corvette
1986 Bright Red Coupe
Way back when, I mentioned that the passenger side power door lock wouldn't lock all the way by the switch- the 'orange' would be gone, and it would look locked, but you could still open it from the outside (or sometimes just half-open the door). If you manually pushed the lock, it moved another mm or two and all was fine.

Had the door apart today to fix a flapping trim strip and decided to take a look at it. Almost looked like the actuator wasn't pulling the lock bars far enough. I noticed, however, that the arm from the actuator snaps into a small metal swivel plate (technical term :) ) which has the rod going to the lock mechanism itself also attached. This plate has two holes in it, a lower and an upper. The lower hole is where the actuator rod was attached. On a hunch, I moved it to the upper hole (involves sliding out the rod end and pushing out a plastic "keeper" that's in the hole). Now works like a champ! My service manual doesn't appear to go into enough detail to explain the plate, but the lock works so I'm not complaining...
[RICHR]

Good news

And you didn't break the nylon thinggy... extra points 4 U

Vig!

I'm dyin here!

Oh such technical terms like metal swivel plate and nylon thingee...OYE!

The metal swivel plate thingamajig is called a "bellcrank" and is used to swivel 90 or 180 degrees usually.

The nylon thingee is called a linkage rod retainer and used to be made of metal (on older chevys) but the plastic has shown to be MUCH easier to work on, for me anyway. BTW--I have several different "thingees" from various makes and models if you happen to need one.

I knew that opening cars for a living would come in handy here. I'm no engine expert but I AM a lock expert and know more than I need to about doors and steering columns.

--Drew:w

Re: I'm dyin here!

Drewser said:

I knew that opening cars for a living would come in handy here. I'm no engine expert but I AM a lock expert and know more than I need to about doors and steering columns.

--Drew:w

Repo Man???? :L

Re: Re: I'm dyin here!

Mad-Mic said:

Repo Man???? :L
Uhh---maybe once or twice. :D I usually get ahold of the cars after the repo hacks have...hacked them up.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom