Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Gas Door Emblem Install

OldCorvetteFan

Corvette
Black 95 6 spd Coupe (Sold); 2011 GS
My '95 is black, and the stock gas door and hood emblems seem to just fade into the background. They are also not pristine, so I decided to replace them with the the chrome units from the 1993 Ruby edition.
Here's the state of the old emblem:

001.jpg

I removed the door from the car (six T10 screws) to give better access. My expired NCM membership card also helped me get under the old adhesive on the ring.

008.jpg

The hardest part of the job was getting through the old adhesive (and releasing the emblem). I used a combination of dental floss, the NCM card, and an icing spreader that I stole from the kitchen.

After I got the old emblem off (unbroken!), I used goof off to remove the remaining adhesive from the gas door.

I then used my Adam's Polish and wax to prep the door for the new emblem. Note that the new emblem includes the adhesive.

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

Here's the emblem installed on the door.

014.jpg

And finally, on the car:

018.jpg

019.jpg

And the old one again, just for comparison:

002.jpg

Overall, not a bad project. I've read that you can use a hair dryer to soften up the adhesive, and I'll probably add that to my arsenal for the front emblem.

Steven

Fairly simple and straight forward, AND......... IT LOOKS GREAT! :_rock
It always pays to take your time. :thumb
Andy :w

I'm thinking of doing same to my 94 vert. Access to hood emblem secure pins is much more difficult. let me know how you do it. Thanks;help

I'm thinking of doing same to my 94 vert. Access to hood emblem secure pins is much more difficult. let me know how you do it. Thanks;help

Will do - I plan to take pictures of that project as well.

Steven

Looks good! I swapped the old emblems on my 94 for new ones. It was a very easy, but very noticeable change. Be careful doing the front emblem as it is very easy to "lose" the nuts into the hood.

ive been playing with the idea of adding either c6 emblems to my 92 coupe or c5 emblems (to match the flags on my 03 z06 wheels) just havent had the extra money for the emblems right now..has one one done this? finished pictures would be nice

ive been playing with the idea of adding either c6 emblems to my 92 coupe or c5 emblems (to match the flags on my 03 z06 wheels) just havent had the extra money for the emblems right now..has one one done this? finished pictures would be nice

The easy way to remove the emblems is by sliding fishing line under the emblem and pull it around the emblem. Second, when installing the new emblem do not remove the plastic covering the adhesive. Trim it so it does not show from the front. This way if you want to wax the car just remove the two nuts on the backside and pop it off, wax and reinstall.

lol yea ive swaped c4 emblems for c4 emblems...but i want c5 or c6 emblems im not sure if theyll line up correctly or cover the pinholes that will be left by the c4's emblems

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom