Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Gear Shift Lock

Barry08

Corvette
1981 Victory Red
Took my console and guages out.After reassembly I noticed I can take car out of park without key in ignition is this normal or did I screw something up?
Also no heater or ac fan on anything but the low position.... fuse is ok Help!!

Barry

I don't think the key ever needed to be in the ignition in order to take the car out of park. The only thing that keeps it in [P] and [R] is the button. No???

Fan switch sounds like it might have a shot resistor (if that's what it uses...)

Hopefully more 80-81 owners will chime in on this!Could anyone else with an 80 or 81 check if they can move their gear shift with keys out and steering locked?I had my console plate off and wonder if I missed something..

Barry

I can move mine in any position at any time. I can only start the car in park or neutral though. Hope this helps.

-Tatortot

22229stingray81 said:
I can move mine in any position at any time. I can only start the car in park or neutral though. Hope this helps.

-Tatortot

mine is the same way!!!!
heater-A/C,1st double check the fuse and look at it to make sure it didn't corrode inside of its housing(mine did,checked ok but very low power,drove me nuts for months trying to find it :hb )anyway,with your test lite check to see if you have power at the resistor going in an coming out.

good luck

Evolution1980 said:
I don't think the key ever needed to be in the ignition in order to take the car out of park. The only thing that keeps it in [P] and [R] is the button. No???

Fan switch sounds like it might have a shot resistor (if that's what it uses...)
I can shift mine in any gear,any time!!I'm sure it uses a resister It's either the resister or the fan switch!!:upthumbs

Just as I suspected.Thanks guys!GM really screwed up.... don't think I'll be parking on any kind of an incline with window open.... someone could reach in and throw it out of park!Heater problem solved.Connector plug was disconnected at heater control!Must have happened when pulling old stereo out.

Thank you.... Barry:beer

Barry08 said:
I don't think I'll be parking on any kind of an incline with window open.... someone could reach in and throw it out of park!
Well, I guess there is all types out there. Most people won't mess with nice cars, beit vettes or exotics. You could always crank the steering wheel away from the curb then shut the car down. Then, should anyone (for what reason???) reach into your car and put it in [N], it will roll about 1", bump the curb and stop since the steering column is locked.

But anyways...glad you got your problem solved! You'll find a couple areas where wire/connectors are banjo-string tight. Yeah, it sucks...but we still love 'em! :D

Evolution1980 said:
You could always crank the steering wheel away from the curb then shut the car down. Then, should anyone (for what reason???) reach into your car and put it in [N], it will roll about 1", bump the curb and stop since the steering column is locked.

That is, away from the curb facing uphill, and towards the curb facing downhill. Although that will likely screw up the bumper on a '80-'82! Glad to know the shifter is supposed to be thar way, I thought mine was broke.

My '81 has been that way since day 1.

........ nut

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom