Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Going to Florida for Winter

cje

Did you ever drive your Vette on an interstate for 16 hours with big trucks, rocks and shredded tires?
Did you ever stop at an exit motel and leave "Baby" in the parking lot all alone all night?
Did you ever put your Vette on a truck with a total stranger for pick up and delivery?
Did you ever put your Vette on a trailer and pull it behind your truck all the way?
What to do? Last year the separation was sad. I know Boo Hoo. Thanks for any suggestions.

I use to drive my 03 & 08 from Maine to Orlando every spring and fall .I'd start out at 4 pm and drive all night with cat naps along the way .Driving time was about 23-24 hours and despite what one might think I had a good time .I'd store the car at Conway self storage near the Orlando airport (about 2 miles ) .I could find discount air tickets for under $200 RT which allowed my several long weekends during the cold months of winter .I never had a bad trip or bad indecent that I regret .

What and where is your intended plan ?

Thanks for the reply

Our plans are to travel from SW Ohio to Tampa bay area Jan returning April. I also have experience driving to Florida in the 60s in caravans over Spring break. Drove all night with cars full of little kids and no freeway. Too old for that now. Also took the 76 Vette to Fla for a week vacation in '89. That car overheated on the highway sometimes, otherwise was fun. I think we have figured this out now. We will take the Accord full of stuff, staying for a week in Nov. then take the 03 Vert in Jan. Makes both me and my brother happy. Thanks, somehow your message gave us the idea. Don't know what to do about that motel thing. If I can find a hotel with valet parking,or just worry all night. Thanks :)
Sorry I was wrong about the no freeway in the 60s. We had I 75 part way. In Tenn there were little towns and winding roads with lots of fireworks stores.

Last edited:
One thing to keep in mind is leaving Ohio in January be aware of your tires .I drive with all season not because of snow but because of cold some summer tires stick to the pavement like hockey pucks on glass .

Our plans are to travel from SW Ohio to Tampa bay area Jan returning April. I also have experience driving to Florida in the 60s in caravans over Spring break. Drove all night with cars full of little kids and no freeway. Too old for that now. Also took the 76 Vette to Fla for a week vacation in '89. That car overheated on the highway sometimes, otherwise was fun. I think we have figured this out now. We will take the Accord full of stuff, staying for a week in Nov. then take the 03 Vert in Jan. Makes both me and my brother happy. Thanks, somehow your message gave us the idea. Don't know what to do about that motel thing. If I can find a hotel with valet parking,or just worry all night. Thanks :)
Sorry I was wrong about the no freeway in the 60s. We had I 75 part way. In Tenn there were little towns and winding roads with lots of fireworks stores.

OK, if you are heading down I-75, then familiarize yourself (or print out) I-75 Exit Services From Michigan to Florida | I-75 Exit Guide.
It will give you everything you will need to know for your trip.
Every exit from Michigan to Florida is listed with any gas stations, food places, hotels, etc., that are within 1/2 mile
of the exit. I use the one for I95 when I head south from Boston and find it to be a valuable resource. I printed mine out because I don't
like to try and read the info off of a phone screen while driving. Usually my wife or I (whoever is the passenger) will be doing the reading
duties. Give it a shot.............you might like it! It will also help you plan on where you want to stay overnight. Prefer Hampton Inns? Look
at the guide to find out which exit has one and book it before you leave. Want to put all the gas on your Shell card? Use the guide to find
which exits have a Shell station. Exits are usually numbered by the mile marker and start at the north of the state and work down. No
matter what you decide, have fun and drive safe!
Andy Anderson :w

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply

One thing to keep in mind is leaving Ohio in January be aware of your tires .I drive with all season not because of snow but because of cold some summer tires stick to the pavement like hockey pucks on glass .

Did not think of that. Thanks. You sent me to the garage and the Michelin web site and a call to the local tire dealer. Seems the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S is good, but discontinued a couple years ago. The dealer of course will be happy,if I come in,to let me know if I need new tires :L.

Thanks for the reply

OK, if you are heading down I-75, then familiarize yourself (or print out) I-75 Exit Services From Michigan to Florida | I-75 Exit Guide.
It will give you everything you will need to know for your trip.
Every exit from Michigan to Florida is listed with any gas stations, food places, hotels, etc., that are within 1/2 mile
of the exit. I use the one for I95 when I head south from Boston and find it to be a valuable resource. I printed mine out because I don't
like to try and read the info off of a phone screen while driving. Usually my wife or I (whoever is the passenger) will be doing the reading
duties. Give it a shot.............you might like it! It will also help you plan on where you want to stay overnight. Prefer Hampton Inns? Look
at the guide to find out which exit has one and book it before you leave. Want to put all the gas on your Shell card? Use the guide to find
which exits have a Shell station. Exits are usually numbered by the mile marker and start at the north of the state and work down. No
matter what you decide, have fun and drive safe!
Andy Anderson :w

Thank you for the info. We will certainly get the I-75 exit services guide. Sounds much better than my old method of the motel discount book from the rest area. My brother will be driving and read your post. He is also Vietnam vet from '67, '68 and ask what area and unit.

Got the Vette to Florida

Thanks to everyone for all the good info. Daughter and I drove it down and will drive it back in April. Has been great having it here and I would recommend it. There are so many Vettes in the Clearwater area you almost get tired of waving. All are beautiful. Some things I learned here; cars get real dirty fast, live oak trees are not your friend, you will meet lots of nice Corvette owners, and Dimmett Chevrolet was nice, they ordered some wiper blades for me, even put them on. Hope to bring her down again next year. For all up North glad it was a mild winter.:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom