Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Good Lord !! NO!!! That Thing Is BUTT UGLY

Now just a minute young lady, we old timers like this car a lot. OOps, I think that was your point also. Thank goodness the taillights aren't round, it would look like a 1970s Camaro. To respond to the question about the C5 acceptance, the Big, Fat, Ugly rear end was universally hated. I think they sold a few of them anyway. C6 open headlights, OMG, the end of the world. Forget the aerodynamic advantage. The C7 taillights look like the Camaro's, right, that is if a semi-circle looks like a parallelogram. Well, they do have a similarity, they're both red. Wail on, People, the end is nigh, Corvette has gone modern.

You got it, Paul!! :cool!:

Elaine

Now just a minute young lady, we old timers like this car a lot. OOps, I think that was your point also. Thank goodness the taillights aren't round, it would look like a 1970s Camaro. To respond to the question about the C5 acceptance, the Big, Fat, Ugly rear end was universally hated. I think they sold a few of them anyway. C6 open headlights, OMG, the end of the world. Forget the aerodynamic advantage. The C7 taillights look like the Camaro's, right, that is if a semi-circle looks like a parallelogram. Well, they do have a similarity, they're both red. Wail on, People, the end is nigh, Corvette has gone modern.

OK, I'll fess up. I'm 65, finally got my Z06 at 60. Spent a lot of years being a responsible wage earner, parent & small business owner with my wife. Dad had a few Corvettes, including a Black split window, was repairing a 72 roadster when his stoke put an end to his fun and step-mother sold all his cars. My wife suggested I spend most of my share of my mom's estate on a Corvette which I understood to be an ultimatum. Who wouldn't? Not my daily driver, but first choice for road trips. Did a 3K mile+ trip in October, including a Bucket List drive on the Tail of the Dragon (Highly recommend), another big road trip planned for late spring. I have worked on and/or driven every generation of Corvette at some time and am totally convinced the C6 is the most rewarding & enjoyable yet least demanding ever. Based on the photos & videos I have seen C7 does not appeal to me, but it will surely sell well for years to come. Maybe it will grow on me, maybe not. My friend who has several exotics claims the Corvette has no "soul". If that is true, which is very open to discussion since he didn't define what "soul" is, and if soul costs $100+ or more on top of the price of a Corvette I can happily live without that. At first I didn't like the C6 over the C5, but not because of the headlights. I thought it was a bit truncated front & rear, but after a couple of years I got over thinking it had a Hot Wheels or Rat Fink caricature look, and did not consider any other when I finally started to shop for my first Vette. I had, and still have a 96 Impala SS (2nd & last car I have ever bought new), a 90 SS454 and a 87 Grand National, so another black car was not going to happen. The Z06 has more miles than all but the Impala SS. I do all my own maintenance, and continue to be pleasantly surprised how well made my car is. Do i crave or will I buy a C7? No & probably not. Will I think you are blind, stupid or silly if you buy? No way. If you love it go for it. Can't wait to see a bunch of them at a local show & shine. All I see these days are Grand Sports it seems. Keep the Blue Flame burning! :upthumbs

No, it is NOT butt ugly!...just the opposite, absolutely beautiful!!!

If that's your personal opinion on the new C7 Corvette, don't buy it!!!...it's as simple as that!!...nobody's putting a gun to your head to force you to like it or even buy it!!...this car is an absolute design masterpiece and almost everyone agrees on this except a few purists and traditionalists that can't conceive the idea of progress and change for the better!...this new 2014 Corvette will be a hit the world over, mark my words!...I loved it as soon as I saw it, and I'm looking forward to parking one in my garage as soon as they come to market this fall!...I love the way it looks especially in dark gray metallic factory color!:thumb
My God, what the heck were they thinking...Well, I know what I will not be buying anytime soon.

I tend to agree with you, but I really have to see it in person...Denver Auto Show in late March...I'm not ordering one soon.

I saw some pretty up close and personal shots courtesy of Barrett-Jackson last night; and besides the God-aweful rear end; I almost gagged when I saw that ridiculous fish "stingray" they glued above the coves on each side. Who the heck are the design engineers.......5 year olds? My wife started laughing and said the stingray looked like a flattened sperm. What the heck is wrong with the beautiful words; "Stingray" or even "Sting Ray" in any font; old style or new? What they glued on those side panels are horendous.

n :ugh

I saw some pretty up close and personal shots courtesy of Barrett-Jackson last night; and besides the God-aweful rear end; I almost gagged when I saw that ridiculous fish "stingray" they glued above the coves on each side. Who the heck are the design engineers.......5 year olds? My wife started laughing and said the stingray looked like a flattened sperm. What the heck is wrong with the beautiful words; "Stingray" or even "Sting Ray" in any font; old style or new? What they glued on those side panels are horendous.

n :ugh

Go back and look at the 1959 Stingray racer and the two Stingray concept cars of the 60's. You will find that "ridiculous" emblem on them. You have over fifty years of gagging to catch up on.

I was very disappointed when I saw the latest incentives that came out for C6 corvettes as I was expecting GM to offer 0% financing (I think it will happen in March) and offer up to $5K off for GM car owners (I have 5K in points).

But now I'm thinking I may be in a very good position to wait this thing out and either purchase a new GS convertible, or wait another year and purchase a new C7.

I loved Rob's write-up on the new C7 and a good friend saw the car up close at Barrett-Jackson this weekend. Both said the same thing, that this car has to be seen in person to fully appreciate it.

I'm thinking I'm going to hold off and wait till later in the year to make a decision.

Go back and look at the 1959 Stingray racer and the two Stingray concept cars of the 60's. You will find that "ridiculous" emblem on them. You have over fifty years of gagging to catch up on.

At least they had enough sense to never put it on a production model.

n

C7 LOOKS/pics

This car belongs in the Hall of CRAP located in the LOST CITY OF LOSER CARS in LITTLE AMERICA.

People have to be crazy and have no taste to like this model. LONG LIVE the C4 & C5!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Viper looks better.......... I can't believe that I said that but its true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. The good Lord had nothing to do with this designed because only the DEVIL made them build this atrocity.

P.P.S. Even the Camaro looks better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me you guys are kidding, I think it looks awesome, especially the 3/4 rear view, the rear window reminds me of a 68' Dodge Charger!!!:thumb

...this car is an absolute design masterpiece and almost everyone agrees on this except a few purists and traditionalists that can't conceive the idea of progress and change for the better!...:thumb

Please keep in mind that the notion that this car represents "progress and change for the better" is your personal opinion. All the Corvette forums would not be in such an uproar right now if, as you say, "almost everyone agrees".

We were all ready for a new Corvette, and we all expected "progress" and change, but lots and lots of us don't see progress in this design. We see a great, leaping step backward. This design looks like it was sketched in a 1970 junior high school shop class, by a kid who was asked "what do you think the Corvette should look like in 20 years?" It's a Hot Wheels/Transformer car, on acid. There is no art or flow to the design. It shocks the eye because it's so over-wrought with jarring, discordant elements. We'd be laughing at it if we hadn't so badly wanted for it to be really good.

The above is a fairly representative view among the "haters", as you would call them, and I agree with all of it. However, personally, I am willing to cut GM a small bit of slack regarding the most hated element on the car: the controversial rear end...and not because I don't think that it is truly hideous. It definitely is. It's just that, since the development of the C5 in the early/mid '90s, GM has laudably decided that the Corvette would have good aerodynamic performance without ungainly tack-ons (wings, etc.). That admirable goal pretty much dictates a large, flat rear end...and stylists have been fighting the good fight with it ever since. From a styling viewpoint, their first attempt, the rear of the C5, was not so successful. The C6, while still huge, was noticeably better. And the C7? Well, all of the vents are fairly well integrated, so I don't think they would really detract much from the look if they weren't painted a contrasting color...which brings up the tail lights. I don't even care about the shape of the tail lights, though, if the inner ones were the same size as the outer ones, then they could lose all the black "eye makeup". No, the most jarring element is the lower rear bumper that's designed to appear as though it is a real aerodynamic defuser. The design of actual defusers is dictated solely by aerodynamic considerations. Cosmetics are rarely, if ever, considered. So the C7 is stuck with an almost intentionally-unattractive lower rear bumper. And then, to compound the problem, it is inexplicably painted a contrasting color in order to draw your eye straight to the transgression.

So, is the C7 literally "Butt Ugly"? JMO...but hell yes! I fully understand that lots of people disagree with me on this, and they are not "wrong"...they just have a different sensibility about styling than I do. There are, however, also a lot of people who do agree with me, and we are not "wrong", either.

Last edited:
Please keep in mind that the notion that this car represents "progress and change for the better" is your personal opinion. All the Corvette forums would not be in such an uproar right now if, as you say, "almost everyone agrees".

We were all ready for a new Corvette, and we all expected "progress" and change, but lots and lots of us don't see progress in this design. We see a great, leaping step backward. This design looks like it was sketched in a 1970 junior high school shop class, by a kid who was asked "what do you think the Corvette should look like in 20 years?" It's a Hot Wheels/Transformer car, on acid. There is no art or flow to the design. It shocks the eye because it's so over-wrought with jarring, discordant elements. We'd be laughing at it if we hadn't so badly wanted for it to be really good.

The above is a fairly representative view among the "haters", as you would call them, and I agree with all of it. However, personally, I am willing to cut GM a small bit of slack regarding the most hated element on the car: the controversial rear end...and not because I don't think that it is truly hideous. It definitely is. It's just that, since the development of the C5 in the early/mid '90s, GM has laudably decided that the Corvette would have good aerodynamic performance without ungainly tack-ons (wings, etc.). That admirable goal pretty much dictates a large, flat rear end...and stylists have been fighting the good fight with it ever since. From a styling viewpoint, their first attempt, the rear of the C5, was not so successful. The C6, while still huge, was noticeably better. And the C7? Well, all of the vents are fairly well integrated, so I don't think they would really detract much from the look if they weren't painted a contrasting color...which brings up the tail lights. I don't even care about the shape of the tail lights, though, if the inner ones were the same size as the outer ones, then they could lose all the black "eye makeup". No, the most jarring element is the lower rear bumper that's designed to appear as though it is a real aerodynamic defuser. The design of actual defusers is dictated solely by aerodynamic considerations. Cosmetics are rarely, if ever, considered. So the C7 is stuck with an almost intentionally-unattractive lower rear bumper. And then, to compound the problem, it is inexplicably painted a contrasting color in order to draw your eye straight to the transgression.

So, is the C7 literally "Butt Ugly"? JMO...but hell yes! I fully understand that lots of people disagree with me on this, and they are not "wrong"...they just have a different sensibility about styling than I do. There are, however, also a lot of people who do agree with me, and we are not "wrong", either.

Bob, you said it much better that I did when I posted this thread.

Just you wait, you're going to see the kids decorating them up like rice-burners and running around town annoying everyone. Only a matter of time before pictures/videos of kids with their laptop plugged into the com ports surface. What a hoot to even think about it...

Just you wait, you're going to see the kids decorating them up like rice-burners and running around town annoying everyone. Only a matter of time before pictures/videos of kids with their laptop plugged into the com ports surface. What a hoot to even think about it...
Really? That's odd...considering that the price of the new C7 is going to be right around that of a new C6....and I've never seen "kids decorating them up like rice-burners and running around town annoying everyone".

So please explain to me why kids are going to be decorating C7s like rice-burners, when we have yet to see that with any other generation of Corvette? And that's assuming that "kids" are going to be able to afford a new C7 Corvette.

Have you seen one in person yet?
Why not save the negativity until you've seen one up close and personal?
I wasn't all that enthused when I saw it the 1st time either but from what Rob and a good friend of mine who both have seen it up close and personal have to say, it's a beautiful car.
The more I've seen the more I like.
Yes it was probably designed with the next generation in mind but that's just progression - just like every other generation.
You don't have to keep posting negative bullsh*t, we all know you don't like it.

Sorry CorvetteWave, my response was meant for 1analguy.

-JS

Really? That's odd...considering that the price of the new C7 is going to be right around that of a new C6....and I've never seen "kids decorating them up like rice-burners and running around town annoying everyone".

So please explain to me why kids are going to be decorating C7s like rice-burners, when we have yet to see that with any other generation of Corvette? And that's assuming that "kids" are going to be able to afford a new C7 Corvette.

Just like everyone else here...It's an opinion, Rob? Get it???

Just like everyone else here...It's an opinion, Rob? Get it???

Oh I get it. But I also get that some opinions are based on facts. And if you're going to make a statement, or in your case..."opinion"...such as kids buying C7s and modding them into rice rockets, I would expect you to have some kind of facts or personal experience to back up your "opinion". Which is what I asked for.

So it's my "opinion", that based upon personal experience, I have yet to see kids buying C6s and modding them into rice rockets. Therefore, in my "opinion" it's ridiculous to think that kids are going to go out and buy C7s to mod them into rice rockets.

If you love or hate the C7...great and thank you for sharing that with us. However lets keep the ridiculousness out of the opinions.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

WoW. . . I've never seen this much polarity since the presidential election !

Oh I get it. But I also get that some opinions are based on facts. And if you're going to make a statement, or in your case..."opinion"...such as kids buying C7s and modding them into rice rockets, I would expect you to have some kind of facts or personal experience to back up your "opinion". Which is what I asked for.

So it's my "opinion", that based upon personal experience, I have yet to see kids buying C6s and modding them into rice rockets. Therefore, in my "opinion" it's ridiculous to think that kids are going to go out and buy C7s to mod them into rice rockets.

If you love or hate the C7...great and thank you for sharing that with us. However lets keep the ridiculousness out of the opinions.

I never saw this much anger or glee at the introduction of a Corvette. Most every Corvette related website has had the sameinitiall reaction to this edgy angular stylingexperimentt. I am not in the "I love it !" Likewise, I am not in the "I hate this thing period !" But do remember theHuss & fuss when the C5 came out. It had too big a butt and it was not a Real Corvette. But in the end the only thing that matters is it going to sell ? And that's very important. In 2012 I believe they only sold 14K cars and no car line cansustaine itself on those low numbers. So if the styling is on or off can mean a great deal to whether or not we even get to a C8 !
ThisThos one thing I can hear even from here, is all the "Aftermarcompaniesnies" gearing up with every kind of a 'Mod' you can think of, and if I want 'Round Tail Light' I'll bet I could find some in one of the Corvecatalog'soges next year. A Car is only a car, Ya like it or you don't. I think that all the buzz over the black rdiffuseruser is not spot on, if you go to Chevrolet.com you can see the C7 in all of the colors, and I agree, in torch red the bldiffuseruser is 'Massive' but if you have the Vette paintedmetallicllic gray, blue or silverdoesn'ten't look so bad. just words to the wise, we all need to step back wait till we can see & feel one for ourselves.

:w

Have you seen one in person yet?
Why not save the negativity until you've seen one up close and personal?
I wasn't all that enthused when I saw it the 1st time either but from what Rob and a good friend of mine who both have seen it up close and personal have to say, it's a beautiful car....You don't have to keep posting negative bullsh*t, we all know you don't like it.

Have you seen one in person yet? Why not save all the positivity until you've seen one up close and personal? You don't have to keep posting positive bullsh*t...that you're basing on the opinions of others! We all know you like it. And, by the way, I'll be seeing the car "up close and personal" on Tuesday, the 23rd...

Rob, I think what he may have been getting at was that, aside from the initial buy-in cost, C7s will be relatively cheap to "decorate up like rice burners" because they already look kind of ricey to start with...

...if you go to Chevrolet.com you can see the C7 in all of the colors...

Yes, but you'll notice that you can't view it from the rear...probably because they're justifiably ashamed of that angle. Oddly, if you go to the C6 configurator, you can view it from any angle you choose. Hmmm...

Seriously though, the dark colors on the C7 look so good because they really tone down, or minimize, the jarring contrast caused by having that much of the rear end painted black. There is an awful lot of area on that diffuser that could have been painted body color and it would have still looked like a diffuser...and depending on which additional portions of it that were painted and which were left black, it could look even more like a diffuser. I honestly can't figure out why they didn't detail that diffuser more completely. It looks so unfinished that it drags the rest of the rear end down with it...obviously, JMO...

I wasn't thrilled with a couple of things. But only a couple. And they are pretty small and inconsequential at that.

Yeah, my first reaction is that I'd have liked tail lights to be more by themselves in the bumper... but I get it. If I had a C7... I'd think about painting the diffusers and extractors the same color as the body. And- I'd really have liked analog gauges... but that is all just a preference.

However, what doesn't meet my likes is more than made up for in capabilities. That car will stomp most cars that cost more. It is an incredible machine!

Bottom line- the C7 is a great car. And that's my simple opinion. :thumb

I wasn't thrilled with a couple of things. But only a couple. And they are pretty small and inconsequential at that.

Yeah, my first reaction is that I'd have liked tail lights to be more by themselves in the bumper... but I get it. If I had a C7... I'd think about painting the diffusers and extractors the same color as the body. And- I'd really have liked analog gauges... but that is all just a preference.

However, what doesn't meet my likes is more than made up for in capabilities. That car will stomp most cars that cost more. It is an incredible machine!

Bottom line- the C7 is a great car. And that's my simple opinion. :thumb

I honestly think that when some people see the car in person, and see it in different colors, such as the new blue color that's coming - the rear end or tail lights will seem like less of an issue.

For me personally, I had a hard time with the rear end, when I saw it on the red C7 at the unveiling. I started to warm up to it the next day, and then I saw the Cyber Gray Metallic one they had....that really changed the perspective for me.

Would I have liked to see them stick to round tail lights? Yes. Am I disappointed with what they unveiled? No, not really. It fits the overall design of the car. In my opinion, I think the rear-end is the most drastically changed part of the exterior.

If you really stop and think about it, overall, rear-end design on the Corvette has not changed that much since the C3 generation. In my opinion, and the opinion of others I've talked to - Corvette design has been way too conservative over the last three generations. You definitely cannot say that about the C7. Corvette Designers wanted to shake things up a little. I would say they definitely succeeded with the C7.

Rob said:
Would I have liked to see them stick to round tail lights? Yes. Am I disappointed with what they unveiled? No, not really. It fits the overall design of the car. In my opinion, I think the rear-end is the most drastically changed part of the exterior.

If you really stop and think about it, overall, rear-end design on the Corvette has not changed that much since the C3 generation. In my opinion, and the opinion of others I've talked to - Corvette design has been way too conservative over the last three generations. You definitely cannot say that about the C7. Corvette Designers wanted to shake things up a little. I would say they definitely succeeded with the C7.

^^ Well said Rob. My sentiments exactly. Perhaps most importantly, I think all the elements flow together. :thumb

Here's what else I like...

• I really like the front end. The lights and front bumper- just :drool: if you ask me. :D
  • The rear glass and side windows are :cool as well. It screams Baldwin-Motion. :thumb
  • Then, the interior is top notch in terms of the appearance and treatments. The seats fit the overall direction of the design. :Steer
  • Powertrain- get ready Italy... your exotic super car status days are numbered. :bu

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom