Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Got rear-ended....what to look for???

LannyL81

Corvette
81 White/Cinnabar, 96 CE LT4 sil/blk
Sitting at a stop light last night in my '96 CE, and get hit at around 5 - 10 mph. No break squealing or anything like that.

Dose the honeycomb need to be replaced? Bumper cover has paint cracks and there is something broken at the left reverse lamp, about midway top to bottom, opposite license plate...it is different than the right side.

Anyone care to tell me what I am looking at in repairs?

Thanks,
LannyL81

I feel your pain, Dude . . . Sounds like a "fairly light" hit (if there is such a thing)- I doubt they would replace the inside shock material unless you asked them to.
As for cost of repair, here's my experience; A few months back, some twit on her cell phone backed into my nose and cracked it. Here's what I ran into;

No C4 OEM noses or tails exist (I looked for 3 weeks including on the forum). The first shop (high end) did not want to try the repair with after market parts as there is little adjusment room for an ill fitting part. A Vette shop here in So Cal http://www.jdcorvette.com/ removed the part, had it "re-conditioned" (repaired the urethane in the bumper cover), replaced 1 light assy.,re-mounted, primed, painted and faded into adjoining panels; $2050.00 Looks perfect! Thank God for insurance!

Be carefull who you take it to, the urethane bumper covers need a special paint additive for flexability which changes the tint of the paint.

A client backed into my '89 roadster's passenger side quarter panel and cracked the fiberglass where the panel goes from vertical to horizontal. I took it to Coast Corvette in Anaheim where they charged me $3,500 for the fiberglass repair, repairing the crack in the bumper around the side marker lamp and repainting the rear bumper/fade new paint into surrounding panels. By the way, I was not happy with their quality for the price. Seems like they subcontracted the job out to another shop because the other cars there for restoration looked much better. Also, they broke the rear convertible top release lever and glued the before mentioned side marker lamp together rather than replace it with another unit and the service manager wouldn't fix these issues until I got the shop owner involved. Remember, I paid $3,500. I think I got f'd in this deal and would not recommend them as they are overpriced and customer service requires getting nasty. Just letting other Vette owners know...

Damn,I'm in the Wrong State!!:boogie:boogie:boogieI had a local Dude think I was Crazy because I spent 5 days finding available parts and wrote a sheet for $4409.00 to fix this 92!!:boogie:boogie:boogie
;shrug;shrug :D

crash.jpg

A client backed into my '89 roadster's passenger side quarter panel and cracked the fiberglass where the panel goes from vertical to horizontal. I took it to Coast Corvette in Anaheim where they charged me $3,500 for the fiberglass repair, repairing the crack in the bumper around the side marker lamp and repainting the rear bumper/fade new paint into surrounding panels. By the way, I was not happy with their quality for the price. Seems like they subcontracted the job out to another shop because the other cars there for restoration looked much better. Also, they broke the rear convertible top release lever and glued the before mentioned side marker lamp together rather than replace it with another unit and the service manager wouldn't fix these issues until I got the shop owner involved. Remember, I paid $3,500. I think I got f'd in this deal and would not recommend them as they are overpriced and customer service requires getting nasty. Just letting other Vette owners know...

Your story illustrates why I do 99% of repairs myself. Yes... it may take longer... but I KNOW it gets done right. I'll sand, buff, add, subtract, measure, etc until it is perfect.

Damn,I'm in the Wrong State!!:boogie:boogie:boogieI had a local Dude think I was Crazy because I spent 5 days finding available parts and wrote a sheet for $4409.00 to fix this 92!!:boogie:boogie:boogie

I'm sure it wasn't the $409.00 in parts that upset him, it was probably the $4000.00 you wanted to clean the ash tray;LOL!

94 LT1 Nailed by Idiot

My '94 LT1 with 12,800 miles was customized by an imbecile in an F150 who "wasn't paying attention" at an intersection. I had the car for less then a week when he nailed it. All this happened back in August, and I still don't have the car back yet. I waited over a month for parts, and now I'm waiting on the body shop to complete the repair. I'm told the final coat of paint goes on this week. So far, it's $7500.00 and counting. Thankfully, I had Hagerty insurance. They have been great!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom