Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

GTech Horsepower rating and 1/4 mile, 0-60 times from my 75 this weekend.

Derrick

Corvette
1975 Coupe
GTech times / hp with two 190lb passengers.

Rear wheel: 166hp
1/4 mile: 15.7 at 90 something
0-60: 6.7 seconds

What kind of hp gains and time reductions can I expect from a new set of heads or a new cam? I want the most aggressive set of heads and cam that I can find, while still keeping the car a daily driver. I'm looking at a set of trick flows right now in Summit's most current catalogue. Would MSDs Ultimate HEI kit help me out any? 9 seconds to go from 60 to 90 something seems like an eternity.

I'm currently running stock heads, stock cam, and the rest is in my sig.

Oh and by the way, I blew my water pump gasket on my 3rd run. Antifreeze was gushing out of the engine like no tomorrow.

Derrick said:
GTech times / hp with two 190lb passengers.

Rear wheel: 166hp
1/4 mile: 15.7 at 90 something
0-60: 6.7 seconds

What kind of hp gains and time reductions can I expect from a new set of heads or a new cam? I want the most aggressive set of heads and cam that I can find, while still keeping the car a daily driver.....

IF your 15.7/90-ish ET is correct (I've seen a LOTTA guys who claim they run one ET on their G-Toy, only to find they run another ET at a REAL strip...), judging by the mods in your signature, you should easily knock a full second off (14.70s at 95+) with a head/cam swap, and still making it a decent daily driver.

Assuming you have an 8.2:1 CR 350" SBC currently between the fenders, a swap to 64cc heads will increase your CR to approx 9.3:1, which still allows for pump-gas (altho it'll be 91+ octane):
the bigger 2.020" I/1.600" E valves, in-conjunction with a hydraulic cam in the .450"-.480" lift / 218*-222* @ .050"-lift range, will net a stout motor from idle to 5500 RPM, yet idle decently-smooth.

This type motor powered my full-weight '79 Z28 to 14.40s @ 97+ MPH with open headers on GR70R15 Uniroyals with 3.42 gears in an 'open' rear-end many years ago:
it also returned 18+ MPG on a 660+ mile highway trip, too!!!!!

Someday-down-the-road, I'm pondering a similar motor for my '82 Vette, using the L83 short-block:
currently, I'm leaning towards Edelbrock heads and a 268H CompCam, but by-then, technology will have passed these pieces by.....

Glensgages said:
IF your 15.7/90-ish ET is correct (I've seen a LOTTA guys who claim they run one ET on their G-Toy, only to find they run another ET at a REAL strip...).....

Thanks for the input. We tested the Gtech on a Dodge Ram with a Hemi in the 1/4 and the GTech read 15.1 sec, which was the exact number that Moter Trend came up with. We tested it over several runs so I think my 15.7 in the Vette should be fairly accurate...give or take a tenth of a second.

How much HP do you think I'd gain at the flywheel from the heads and cam?

Derrick,

Did you add in the passengers wieght in the car to the curb weight of the car when you put it into the Gtech?

Craig

Derrick said:
How much HP do you think I'd gain at the flywheel from the heads and cam?
Can't-say.....was never interested in dyno-numbers.....
always thought carrying-around an ET slip was cooler than a dyno print-out sheet.
;)

Maybe try this site, using what info you already have, vs. what we think it'll run after the swap.....
http://www.smokemup.com/auto_math/index.php

Ive been within a few tenths on my older gtech every time that i ran at the track,it gives you a good idea after you makes changes to see how much youve knocked off.

I kinda slipped up on the hp measurement. I inputed 3800 for the cars weight. I've read that the cars curb weight is 3690lb. I am 190ish and my passenger was probably around 175 lbs. So I actually should have entered about 200 lbs more.

For the last post: What is Gtech? Basically it is an accelerometer that can measure 0-60 times, 1/4 mile, 60-0 times, lateral Gs, HP, and some of the newer models have cool lcd screens that actual show hp and torq graphs. You just plug it into a cigerette lighter, mount it on the windshield like a radar detector and make a few runs. If you are willing to pay 300 for the top of the line GTech, you can even plug the device into your computer after I think as many as 3 runs and download the info to a computer. I bought my GTech off of ebay, brand new for 40 bucks shipped.

Hey Stallion, the guy I bought my vette from was from Annapolis Maryland. He was relocated to Corpus Christi, Texas and that's how I found my vette.

Derrick said:
For the last post: What is Gtech? Basically it is an accelerometer that can measure 0-60 times, 1/4 mile, 60-0 times, lateral Gs, HP, and some of the newer models have cool lcd screens that actual show hp and torq graphs. You just plug it into a cigerette lighter, mount it on the windshield like a radar detector and make a few runs. If you are willing to pay 300 for the top of the line GTech, you can even plug the device into your computer after I think as many as 3 runs and download the info to a computer. I bought my GTech off of ebay, brand new for 40 bucks shipped.

I thought those things were $150. They're going for $40 all day long. Thanks for the heads up! I am buying one now.. :D

After christmas they went down to 29.99 plus around 10 for shipping.

I ran my '78 (185hp) at the strip this past summer. I managed a 15.3 with the air cleaner off. I would like to put on a "true" dual exhaust and better air cleaner next summer. That should get me into the very high 14s. In the meantime I will be monitoring discussions such as this.

pasvorto1 said:
I ran my '78 (185hp) at the strip this past summer. I managed a 15.3 with the air cleaner off. I would like to put on a "true" dual exhaust and better air cleaner next summer. That should get me into the very high 14s. In the meantime I will be monitoring discussions such as this.

I doubt that the true duals will knock that much time off of your 1/4. I would think maybe a tenth or two at the most.

Derrick said:
I doubt that the true duals will knock that much time off of your 1/4. I would think maybe a tenth or two at the most.
I tend to agree with the above, but if you are making other changes in the future (cam, intake, headers, heads, etc.) that will raise the operating RPM potential of the motor, might-as-well get twice-pipes now....

Dollar-for-dollar, your biggest ET-gainer may be swapping gears into that car (depending on what you already HAVE in there...)

Curb weight is dry weight right? If so then you need to add in oil and tranny fluid and how much fuel you had in the tank to get the bestest reading you can.

Vettefan87 said:
Curb weight is dry weight right? If so then you need to add in oil and tranny fluid and how much fuel you had in the tank to get the bestest reading you can.

Curb weight is, "The weight of an empty vehicle, without cargo and driver and passengers, but including maximum amounts of fuel, oil, coolant and standard equipment, including the spare tire and tools."

According to a google search... but it makes sense to add the passenger weight to the weight of the car when using the GTEch.

That is good to know, either my brother was playing a dirty little trick on me telling me to add tranny fluid and oil, plus myself to the curb weight of the car, or he really didn't know either. I will have to recheck it again this spring.

lnirenberg said:
Just went on and they are $26.95 + $6.55 shipping.

That's what I ended up paying. That $40 was a real quick look. :D

dfw81shark said:
That's what I ended up paying. That $40 was a real quick look. :D

Post your times on this thread when it comes in, I'm going to make some runs tomorrow with the correct weight, and no passegers. I'll let you guys know the times.

Derrick said:
Post your times on this thread when it comes in, I'm going to make some runs tomorrow with the correct weight, and no passegers. I'll let you guys know the times.

Awesome, wilco.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom