Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

half shaft U-joints?

pack84

Corvette
1984blue coupe
ok, just installed new wheel bearing on left rear wheeel,while I was at it I replaced u-joints in half shaft.Here's my problem,this one almost beat me,what is the trick about getting the half shaft reinstalled?,I had such a problem getting the retainer bolts in,what did I miss Ive done this once before but never this much &*(#@#.I finally got it but still.the install of the hub assembly wasnt that big of a deal even the torx bolts came loose just a pipe for a breaker bar.I know there is an easier way WHAT is it?

i know it isnt the most fun job on our cars, having 3 zr1s,and drag racing one full time this has become second nature. the easiest way is to jack up the whole car and remove just the straps that hold the u joints to the diff . use a 1/4 drive 8mm short socket with a long extention. .leave the park brake off so you can turn the 1/2 shaft . take off the top strap bolts . then turn the 1/2 shaft till the other strap is on the top ,then remove those bolts and strap.then take off the suspension pieces the hold the knuckle you are working on and ramove the knuckle (thats the thing that the rear bearing bolts too.take the knuckle and 1/2 shaft to your work bench and replace the u joints and bearing if need be , and then bolt the 1/2 shaft to the knuckle and install .doing it this way is actually faster then messing around under the car . i can do one side in about 1/2 hr start to finish .hope this helps.

Did you get this done? I found a write up that describes the process and has pictures to boot....if you need it I can send you a copy, it's in Microsoft Word format.

Did you get this done? I found a write up that describes the process and has pictures to boot....if you need it I can send you a copy, it's in Microsoft Word format.

i was about to send mine out today...till i found this.

pretty please send me a copy too...:L

los

its really not a hard project , a shop will charge you 350-500 inc .u joints .save the money and take your wife out to a good dinner

yes got it done took 2 days,but only cause the ujoint on the half shaft gave me a little fight.The bearing job isnt a bad job at all,but you HAVE to have a breaker bar for the torx bolts!Yeah your so right I couldnt even guess how much money Ive saved working on this myself,plus I love it when I can get something I believe to be a major done myself.My car,she thanks me everytime she can!!

i was about to send mine out today...till i found this.

pretty please send me a copy too...:L

los

yes got it done took 2 days,but only cause the ujoint on the half shaft gave me a little fight.The bearing job isnt a bad job at all,but you HAVE to have a breaker bar for the torx bolts!Yeah your so right I couldnt even guess how much money Ive saved working on this myself,plus I love it when I can get something I believe to be a major done myself.My car,she thanks me everytime she can!!

Gentlemen, I''ll be glad to send you the writeup, it's at work and I'll be back at work next week. PM me your email addresses and I'll get it done ASAP.
:D

Gentlemen, I''ll be glad to send you the writeup, it's at work and I'll be back at work next week. PM me your email addresses and I'll get it done ASAP.
:D

Got mine out yesterday.

It was a pita getting the damn thing on jack stands.
Somehow I was able to remove the halfshafts by disconnecting the bottom shock, brake line tabs, straps. I didnt have to remove the tire.

The shafts came out after i pulled out the u-joint end caps. i had to coax the 1st cap a bit, but then it was easier to get the rest.
I then slipped the shock absorber back on the lower knuckle.

I did it this way cuz i was in a rush. I re-studied the manual again this mornin and i know I have to disconnect more suspension pieces if i want to put the shafts back in without any damage.

even in a rush, i still mananged to put reference marks the shafts & spindle. I sent the pieces to my fav corvette tech. He's gonna take a day or so to press in the new joints, ...so im kinda glad i didnt disconnect too much of the suspension yet. Imma make use the delay to my advantage.

Later today I am goin to fastenel to get some grade 8 bolts to replace the oem strap bolts. then imma get the underside of the rear end cleaned up.

...theres enough dirt back there to start a GM plant. :rotfl

Email sent to estrellainc.

Email sent to estrellainc.

I never found that email. prolly my fault... I really appreciate it tho.

however, I got it all done in 4 hrs.

seems the "trick" to gettin those half-shafts installed is CLEARANCE!

when I removed the bottom bolt from the shock absorbers, it gave just enough to remove the strap bolts and u joint end caps.

to put it all back in....:bash unless ya do one of two things.

1) (I recommend) You read the manual and dis-assemble/ re-assemble the rear suspension while properly replacing and cleaning all needed and surrounding parts.

Tip1: Replace the mild steel strap bolts with carbon steel bolts. Do this FIRST! Do it before you try to stab the shafts in.
you need: 16 screws, corresponding tap, correpsonding allen socket long enough to clear the shaft.

I used the smallest hex head ones for clearance. you will have to re-tap for the new bolts. be sure to do all the holes or the bolt will gall behind the flange and ruin your ability to safely secure the u-joint. this can certainly ruin your week.

TIP2: (just be xtra xtra sure you load the composite spring evenly on both sides. even try to screw the nuts back in kinda evenly.) the springs can crack! ruining the Saturday bash.

OR .....or or or or .... Solution #2

2) (& I don’t recommend it) assuming you have the car high enough on 4 jack stands, you have disconnected the brake line tabs, straps, and removed the shock absorber from the bottom bolt...

Get a buddy to give the tire a push down. (Maybe stand on it?) Theres your clearance!

Then...whilst you slip in your half shafts ye shall not contaminate her u-joint end caps by allowing any to fall on earth during installation. Ye shalt not condemn her to eternal C4 disgrace. lmao ;LOL

you still have to work the end caps in snug. be SURE they are in.

I know this works, but I fear the composite spring will crack when I see it being done. One side hangs WAY down, and the other side doesn’t.

ps... Don’t let your buddy grab the quarter panel to help push down on the tire, it can crack there too.

luv peace & hairgrease! :w

removing the bottem adjustment arm and upper and lower arms that go forward give you tons of clearence to remove the 1/2 shaft. its not the most fun job in the world thats for sure

I never found that email. prolly my fault... I really appreciate it tho.

however, I got it all done in 4 hrs.

seems the "trick" to gettin those half-shafts installed is CLEARANCE!

when I removed the bottom bolt from the shock absorbers, it gave just enough to remove the strap bolts and u joint end caps.

to put it all back in....:bash unless ya do one of two things.

1) (I recommend) You read the manual and dis-assemble/ re-assemble the rear suspension while properly replacing and cleaning all needed and surrounding parts.

Tip1: Replace the mild steel strap bolts with carbon steel bolts. Do this FIRST! Do it before you try to stab the shafts in.
you need: 16 screws, corresponding tap, correpsonding allen socket long enough to clear the shaft.

I used the smallest hex head ones for clearance. you will have to re-tap for the new bolts. be sure to do all the holes or the bolt will gall behind the flange and ruin your ability to safely secure the u-joint. this can certainly ruin your week.

TIP2: (just be xtra xtra sure you load the composite spring evenly on both sides. even try to screw the nuts back in kinda evenly.) the springs can crack! ruining the Saturday bash.

OR .....or or or or .... Solution #2

2) (& I don’t recommend it) assuming you have the car high enough on 4 jack stands, you have disconnected the brake line tabs, straps, and removed the shock absorber from the bottom bolt...

Get a buddy to give the tire a push down. (Maybe stand on it?) Theres your clearance!

Then...whilst you slip in your half shafts ye shall not contaminate her u-joint end caps by allowing any to fall on earth during installation. Ye shalt not condemn her to eternal C4 disgrace. lmao ;LOL

you still have to work the end caps in snug. be SURE they are in.

I know this works, but I fear the composite spring will crack when I see it being done. One side hangs WAY down, and the other side doesn’t.

ps... Don’t let your buddy grab the quarter panel to help push down on the tire, it can crack there too.

luv peace & hairgrease! :w

Carlos, I know I sent it, would you still like a copy? I'll try to get it sent again tomorrow when I get to work.

removing the bottem adjustment arm and upper and lower arms that go forward give you tons of clearence to remove the 1/2 shaft. its not the most fun job in the world thats for sure

I noticed that too! I mean the part about not the most fun tho. lol.

I'll see it 1st hand this weekend when i (try) to install poly bushings.

Carlos, I know I sent it, would you still like a copy? I'll try to get it sent again tomorrow when I get to work.

no. youve done well my friend. (truth is I owe you one.) ;p

I suspect I just couldnt find it.
da biz is kinda runnin me round like the guy here-:W.

l8ta /thread

RV Guy, email sent. They are in MS word format.

That's where I got mine from...just copy/paste from there into Word format. But when this thread came about I couldn't find the original URL. Thanks, now everyone can find it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom