Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Header / Alternator Dilemma

dshanks

Corvette
1971 4spd coupe - Charcoal Gray
Im installing headers on my 71.
Since most of the mounting points are leaving with the stock manifolds, Im not quite sure how the alternator mounts in there.
I bought a new alternator mounting bracket from Summit, but its nowhere close. I can see it working on a truck or something with more space under the hood.
Do they make a vette specific alternator mounting bracket?

Derrick

as always, much thanks for the help!

Derrick,

I just put headers on mine and used all the original mounting brackets, didn't have any issues with headers, mine is a 75 and might be different but here's a couple of photos. A little hard to photograph but I'll be happy to take a different angle if it helps

Bill
Dsc00488.jpg

Dsc00486.jpg

I have an '81 with headers and it looks like the same brackets as above. If your brackets are different,you might just try a later model vette bracket from a salvage yard. God bless, Sensei

Bill75 said:
Derrick,

I just put headers on mine and used all the original mounting brackets, didn't have any issues with headers, mine is a 75 and might be different but here's a couple of photos. A little hard to photograph but I'll be happy to take a different angle if it helps

Bill

Bill!.... where did you find the brackets? They look awesome! I used a chromed bracket that connects to the two bolts of the #1 exhuast/header port. I find it to be kinda cheesy looking. I would prefer to have a setup like yours.

Please let me know where I can find something like those.

Thanks.

Ralph

Hi Ralph,

Yes as Jack said they're OEM. I bought a cheap powder coater from Eastwoods and powder coated them, kid of a learning experience but they came out pretty nice. Paragon might have OEM bracket maybe. Just a guess.

Bill

does anyone know what year they began using this part vs the one that attaches to the manifold?
Also, where I could get one? I dont think theres a vette salvage here in KC

Not to change the subject :) but bill75 where did you find those awesome center bolt valve covers?

Garagetoyz said:
Not to change the subject :) but bill75 where did you find those awesome center bolt valve covers?

Thanks for the complement! I bought them at a swap meet brand new from some guy around here that has a little buisness selling stuff like that. I paid $100 for them, they're rugged as hell, cast aluminum. I'll look around for his card that I have somewhere if you wish. Here's a pic just before I started the engine.
ValveCovers.jpg

Hi Derrick,

I can't say for sure, mine is cast iron but it looks like it. You'll need a spacer to put between the ears to prevent them from bending when you tighten the bolt. You can make one from a small piece of pipe. I'm sure someone else will verify if it's the right one.

Bill

Bill75 said:
Hi Ralph,

Yes as Jack said they're OEM. I bought a cheap powder coater from Eastwoods and powder coated them, kid of a learning experience but they came out pretty nice. Paragon might have OEM bracket maybe. Just a guess.

Bill

Thanks Bill,

I found one on eBay for $20 and got it today. I cleaned it up and painted it with POR-15 metal mask and it looks great... another step closer to turning the key again!

Ralph

Good news. Yeah that POR is good stuff I've been using it on my frame and other things. Good luck with the key turning:)

Does it look like the one Derrick asked about?

Bill75 said:
Good news. Yeah that POR is good stuff I've been using it on my frame and other things. Good luck with the key turning:)

Does it look like the one Derrick asked about?

Bill, Thanks... Getting a bit closer to the re-start. I even got the radiator/core support/shroud installed by myself! When installing the alternator, the aftermarket top bracket arm didn't fit... so, back to eBay - and I found one for $12. The aftermarket one was the chrome thing that I didn't care for anyway.

Ralph

dshanks said:

Hey Derrick,

The one you were looking at is the aluminum variety. Bill has the the steel one. I found one on eBay (attached) -- cleaned it and painted it w/POR-15. Perfect. I believe the aluminum ones are more expensive for some reason.

fine69 said:
I even got the radiator/core support/shroud installed by myself!
Ralph

Well if you did that you've got my vote for president. Man what a crappy job that is, I'd like to get my hands around the neck of the guy who designed that fan shroud setup!! I needed help with mine, too awkward for me to handle by myself.

Bill

fine69 said:
Hey Derrick,

The one you were looking at is the aluminum variety. Bill has the the steel one. I found one on eBay (attached) -- cleaned it and painted it w/POR-15. Perfect. I believe the aluminum ones are more expensive for some reason.

So this steel bracket pictured here is the exact one I need? It looks about right. On the end with the single hole, that mounts to the water pump, does it mount to the lower or upper bolt on the water pump?
where does that middle hole connect, the heads?
and do I use the stock steel upper alternator bracket or is there a replacement that Ill need as well?

That aluminum bracket (that I posted from ebay) is straight, and I was having a hard time imagining how it would bolt up.

The two single holes on the left side of the brkt. mount to the head. The upper brkt. mounts to the top bolt on the water pump.

Art Jett said:
The two single holes on the left side of the brkt. mount to the head. The upper brkt. mounts to the top bolt on the water pump.

So the lower alternator bracket does not mount to the water pump at all?
The one that came on my vette does.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom