Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

HELP - 82 crossfire problems.

F

Fred

I recently installed a Hooker Header system with side pipes, roller rockers and an MSD ignition box on a stock 82 vette. All of the emission controls have been removed. The car is now running very well and strong overall, but it loads up on occasion. When it loads up I remove the air cleaners and observe the throttle bodies just "pouring" gas into the intake.
I've installed the o2 sensor on one side of the exhaust and am now at a loss as to what may be causing this problem.

You may want to head over to the Crossfire forum. Lost of people there with modifications. http://www.crossfire.homeip.net/

From what I have read about your type of conversion. The stock O2 probably will not work. I think you need to go with a heated O2.

I'm not sure on the effect of the MSD ignition box. Is all the wiring on the distributor in tact? The computer controls the advance on these cars. There is a tan wire with a connector in it down by the rear driver side of the engine. You can disable the advance by unhooking it. Just curious as to whether you would still have the gas dumping if you were to disconnect the advance at the instant it does it.

My guess is its one of three things. Something to do with the MSD and timing, maybe the stock O2, or possible the CTS (coolant temp sensor) at the front of the engine.

Jim

most likely the CTS, bad connection. Replace w/ a weatherpack unit from a TPI if not already done (weatherpack connector & CTS, you can buy it as a kit from Delco)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom