Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Here I Go AGAIN!!!

Rowdy1

Corvette
1962 CORVETTE-SOLD 2004 Z16 Z06 CE
As I'm sure many of you know, I was doing my :lou in the hotel parking lot Friday night and something let go I believe in the NEW Richmond Gear Super T10 trans I have installed after losing the Borg Warner T10 two years ago in Carlisle. I haven't started to take it out yet but I think it's either the input shaft or the main shaft. Aparently after making a few calls, it isn't the bullet proof trans I thought it was when I bought it as it's only rated for 325 lbs. of torque and I'm over that.
I'm doing my research and looking for another option, there's NO way I'm putting it back in and I'd like to hear from anyone that has any experience with the Tremec 5 speed. I spoke to a vendor that sells them and a kit that "guarantee's" a NO mod bolt in for a C1.
Thanks to all that shared my pain and I will post what the broken part is when I get it out and apart, I'm trying to locate a lift to do it on, I'm getting too old for the on my back in my garage thing anymore.

Rowdy

I am in rockland county new york.I am not sure of the traveling distance but it would be my pleasure to assist you install the kit at my house on my lift.

Allthough its a small garage It will do the trick. Let me know when you want to do it.

I am also sorry for your troubles.

Say it ain't so Lou :ugh Maybe we're gonna have to change that :lou to one that shucks parts during burnouts ;LOL Did you have to push it in the trailer this time? If you want, bring that badboy over here and we'll put it on my lift and change out the tranny while Tammy sits there giving us encouragement :L I'll bet she'll even volunteer to be the beer wench :upthumbs

Good luck buddy
Brett

Lou, I felt so bad when it happened, but they were some great burnout's.:lou

Janine

Rowdy,
Ask your fellow leg guy VNV, he put a Keisler in about 2 1/2 years ago.

Tom M

Sting Ray said:
Rowdy,
Ask your fellow leg guy VNV, he put a Keisler in about 2 1/2 years ago.

Tom M

Heh Lou,
Bummer..... I have the first in the series of Keisler Tremec's... It's only Rated for 475HP. But after a Conversation with Tremec I was told that as long as I'm not popping the clutch off the floor that it'll hold up with my 502.

Tremec & Keisler do make 2 other HP versions. I think the biggest one is 650 HP. Call Keisler and or go to there web page for more info.

That was Nice of Larry to offer his lift....Maybe we can get a few guys together and do a road trip to help out.....:beer

Viet Nam Vett said:
That was Nice of Larry to offer his lift....Maybe we can get a few guys together and do a road trip to help out.....:beer

Did I hear someone say Road Trip?? I'm ready......Let's GO !!

Sorry to hear of your troubles Lou. I'll be watching the 5 speed conversion veeeery closely.

Tom

Rowdy1 said:
As I'm sure many of you know, I was doing my :lou in the hotel parking lot Friday night and something let go I believe in the NEW Richmond Gear Super T10 trans I have installed after losing the Borg Warner T10 two years ago in Carlisle. I haven't started to take it out yet but I think it's either the input shaft or the main shaft. Aparently after making a few calls, it isn't the bullet proof trans I thought it was when I bought it as it's only rated for 325 lbs. of torque and I'm over that.
I'm doing my research and looking for another option, there's NO way I'm putting it back in and I'd like to hear from anyone that has any experience with the Tremec 5 speed. I spoke to a vendor that sells them and a kit that "guarantee's" a NO mod bolt in for a C1.
Thanks to all that shared my pain and I will post what the broken part is when I get it out and apart, I'm trying to locate a lift to do it on, I'm getting too old for the on my back in my garage thing anymore.

Hi Rowdy,

I have a lift (backyard buddy) in my garage that you can use and I also just had the Keisler 5 spd TKO 600 installed in my car. It handles 650 Lb/ft torque and would do the job for you nicely. You should check their website for fitment to a C1 as mine was a 67 C2. You can call me at 973 235-4303 whenever you get time. You know where I live so its not that far.

Best regards,
Gerry

Rowdy
I have had a TKO in my 76 for 5 years with over 30,000 miles and no problems. Mne is before they started making the offset shifter for Vettes, I got it from Fortes who was the first to offer GM conversions. I have the TKO 500. I bought everything from them and had no problem with the install I had to shorten my driveshaft and modify my trans mount. pictures here looks like you have found some helpers and should have no problem.
I would ditch the 4:11s for 3:55s just Imagine being able to go 70 with the motor turning less then 2000 and the off line/burnouts with the 3.27 forst gear :lou

Wow...........

Thanks for the quick replies. First things first, my MOST sincere heartfelt THANKS to all for the offers of lifts and wrenching help, I can't express how much that means to me. I have to sort things out yet before I take any offers but I will sincerely consider all of them with MUCH appreciation. I've never dial indicated anything but the more I talk to people, the more I "think" it needs to be done to insure a perfect fit and no further problems down the road due to improper installation although, I don't believe that was the culpret here. I had a late meeting after work so I didn't get a chance to do any more calling or site research and tomorrow is out too, I plan on getting more info Thursday after work. I'm new to the 5 speed world and I need to learn what's what. I know Tremec is a brand as is Richmond but is Keisler also a maker of 5 speeds or a shop selling them? I spoke to a tech from Classic Chevy 5 Speed's on Saturday in Carlisle and they sell a complete kit made for C1 conversions. It's NOT cheap, but what is with this hobby? The kit includes a new Tremec TKO600 with a specially modified tailshaft for a direct fit which is good for 750 ft. lb of torque, a dvd installation video with step by step, a custom built driveshaft with slip yokes with removable caps, custom speedo cable with integrated adapter and gear, needle roller pilot, reverse lite and hardware, direct bolt in crossmember bracket with rubber mount, and a Mcleod high performance shifter designed for the Corvette that uses the exact same tunnel hole as the stock shifter. They had one on display and I was very impressed with the shifter. I'm hoping to NOT have to change the rear gears in order to use one of these but like I said, I have more research to do. I have a friend with a 91 Stang that's been running this trans only the 500 version for 5 years now and he launches at 5000 with drag slicks lifting the wheels in first and second running consistent 12.2 @ 118. I've watched him BEAT the hell out of this car for 5 years and he's NEVER had a problem with it, my main concern, the trans. He's also running a 4.10 rear gear but no speedo so I don't know what he's turning RPM wise at 70 or so but I figure the tech's will be able to help when I get on the phone with them. I'm going to check out as many options as I can, I'm looking to put ONE more trans in the 'Ol 62 and be done with it. Again, THANKS to everyone so far and I'll bring this thread back to the top as I gather info soon, I want to be back on the road ASAP.:lou

Rowdy your buddy with the stang might even be familiar with Fortes as they are a mustang shop and a Tremec dealer

Rowdy,
Keisler modifys the tremec units, they are not cheap as mine was $3804 including soup to nuts (clutch,shifter etc.). Check www.keisler.com for speed analyzer and lots of other info. The alignment that has to be checked (use dial indicater) on the bellhousing is a PITA but I suppose its for your own good and they will not warranty the trans if you do not provide them with the numbers. Good luck and happy hunting.

Best regards,
Gerry

I'm Learning........

Thanks Gerry, I have been to the site, just a few minutes ago actually. I'm going to be making some phone calls in the next couple days to them and Classic Chevy 5 Speed comparing. I "shouldn't" need a clutch unless that's what let go but I seriously doubt it, I put new everything in when I put the Richmond Gear Super T10 in last year and I've talked to a lot of people and it's pretty hard to lose a Centerforce clutch in a short period of time unless you run slicks and do wheelstands which I don't. I have a lot of things to consider, one of which is how do I dial indicate a scattershield. Did you do your own install and if so, how did everything go fit wise. I'll be in touch in a day or two, thanks again.

Lou

always a lift here for you bud but it looks like you have a lot of closer offers . but feel free just the same , good seeing you in PA. you are an animal for sure take care :cry :W Steve:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom