Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How Can I tell what model corvette do I have?

Nick90vetteguy

Corvette
1990 Polo Green Corvette
Just curious, how can I tell what model vette do I have, like the G92 or a ZF6, Im just asking to find out more about my baby :)

If the sticker is not under the console lid, it might be on the glove box door or under the storage lid behind the seats.

how can I tell what model vette do I have,
There are only three " models"; coupe , vert or ZR1

Some items are set in stone ; your car only came with the L98 engine.
If you have a 6 spd then it is a a ZF6 as it was the only man trans for your year. Likewise the only auto was the 4L60

Options like G92 (perf axle ratio ), were selectable at time of purchase and will be reflected on the RPO label under the console lid if it is still there

hey guys i found it thank you, it was under my arm rest, I was looking for the gear ratio. It read GM1 which translates to 2.59 gears, thinkin of 3.07 gears, where can I get one?

GM1 is the engineering RPO for the 2.59:1 axle ratio. There was no marketing RPO for the 2.59 axle because it was no an option. It was the base axle for all C4s in 1990.

G92 is the marketing RPO for the performance axle ratio for automatic cars.

G44 is the enginering RPO for the 3.07 axle ratio.

MN6 is the marketing RPO for the ZF S6-40 six-speed manual trans which was a zero cost option from 1989 to 1996.

"ZF6" is not a GM RPO alphanumeric. It is a slang term adopted by the Corvette community.

Did they use the 2.59 on the 6 speed as well? I thought it was the base gear on the auto only.

okk, im a lil lost now, so Mr. Halverson your saying my corvette shouldnt have the 2.59 gears?

Did they use the 2.59 on the 6 speed as well? I thought it was the base gear on the auto only.

89-96 manuals used either the 3.54 or 3.45 axle. Also, the manuals used a different rear axle assembly, the Dana 44, whereas automatics used the Dana 36. Nothing interchanges between the two axle assemblies. Some 89s used the 3.54 ratio, other 89s and all 90-96 manuals used the 3.45. The 3.54 was discontinued after a problem with noise was discovered and it was determined the noise was inherent with the tooth count of that particular ring-and-pinion gearset.

All base Corvette coupes came with an automatic and 2.59 gears. If you ordered the no-cost MN6 option, you got the six-speed and 3.45 gears in the Dana 44 axle.

If a car has 2.59s, it was built as a base Coupe with an automatic.

The convertible base axle was a 2.73 ratio.

Both coupe and convertible automatics could be quipped with the G92 perf. axle ratio which, was 3.07.

Hope that helps.

Hey Freddie that link was sweet, thank you. STill looking for 3.07 gearss anybodyyy :ugh

Can I just buy the gears and replace the 2.59 with the 3.07? Or do I need a new rear to do this? I heard a new rear will be better? ANd has anybody expierenced more tire spin?

Can I just buy the gears and replace the 2.59 with the 3.07? Or do I need a new rear to do this?
Given the labor costs to set up new gears ($500 +) and parts cost ( gears $300+ ) cheaper to buy a used D36 head with 3.07 gears already in it.
All D36 heads are the same so doesn't matter what year it is from

You only need the diff head it but can buy complete D36 rear setup for $400+ and sell what you don't need
1988-96 Corvette rear suspension kit Dana 36 | eBay

Or for similar cost to putting new gears in yours ,install the stronger D44
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item588f16b48b
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19c77c8cc0

Only need a D44 driveshaft and C-beam although D36 parts can be modded to fit.
http://www.joby.se/corvette/mods/2001-0X11_diff/

gotchaaa, ok so just to clarify theres NO WAY to install 3.07 gears in a 2.59 rear right?

so just to clarify theres NO WAY to install 3.07 gears in a 2.59 rear right?
banghead.gif

You most certainly can but if you read my post about the cost to put new gears in yours ;
WHY would you bother???

As I detailed, you would spend as much as buying a better D44 setup and still have the weak D36 diff.
At worst consider buying a D36 head with 3.07 gears

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom