Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How To Defeat the 1 to 4 Skip Shift- a guide for the mechanically challenged

Corvette
2002 Yellow Z06 (sold); 1999 Pewter FRC (sold)
If you are tired of having your C5 decide that you really didn't want to shift to 2nd, but instead 4th would be much better, this little inexpensive device will solve your problem.

If I can do this by myself, anybody can. :)

(note, this was performed on a z06 but would be very similar for other c5's )
Items needed:
- 2 rhino ramps
(if you wish to use a hydraulic jack and jackstands, that will work too)
- 2 2x10's, about 36 inches long
- 2 pieces of wood to chock the front wheels
- 5/16 open socket to disconnect the negative battery cable
- CAGS defeat device from ecklers (18.99 plus 5.99 shipping to GA)
http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?pf%5Fid=33993&dept%5Fid=1753&mscssid=RKUWGPUDXMS92L0B00N0SM2EPT1T02F5
- 2 bathmats (or possibly towels) to put under rhino ramps to keep them from sliding around on the concrete
- creeper (recommended but not necessary)

This method uses rhino ramps. (Pep Boys, approx $25)
1. Place each of the 2x10's lengthwise immediately behind the back wheels. Put down the bathmats immediately behind the boards and place the rhino ramps on the mats so they won't slip.
2. roll the car forward a few inches, then back it onto the boards.
When the back wheels are all the way on the boards, but not yet on the ramps, get out and check the ramps, making necessary adjustments so they
will be centered under the wheels.

click to enlarge image

3. continue gently backing up onto the ramps until the wheels stop at the back of the ramps. Set the parking brake and turn off the engine.
4. make sure the back wheels are centered on the ramps and completely sturdy.

click to enlarge image

fixed broken image link

5. chock the front wheels to prevent the car from rolling forward.
6. disconnect the negative (black) battery cable (for me this took
a 5/16 wrench)
7. take the CAGS plug seal kit from Ecklers and disconnect the white male connector.

click to enlarge image

8. Secure your long hair, then roll under the back of the car, and
locate the transmission. It looks like the drawing in the previous step. Your clue is a sticker that says "use Dextron III ATF"
You are interested in the left (driver's) side of it.
9. locate the skip-shift solenoid. On my car, it is a beige "socket" with a white connector with a blue tip. Disconnect the white connector from the solenoid. (just lift up on the clip that holds it in place and pull it out)

This pic shows it partially disconnected.
click to enlarge

Now, here is the goal:
You are going to take apart the factory male-female connection, and reconnect each piece to the complementary part from Ecklers. These 2 components will not be connected when you are finished. Basically, you will
take them apart, then cap them off so that they are no longer connected.

So,
Figure 1) you will start with the factory setup, and disconnect it:
click to enlarge

Figure 2) (Step 10). You will plug the factory male connector into the new female unit (2 black plastic pieces connected by 2 yellow wires)
click to enlarge

Figure 3) (Step 11) You will plug the new male connector into the factory female solenoid (beige part)
figure3.jpg

12. Secure the dangling connector using the zip tie that Ecklers sent.

figure4.jpg

13.reconnect the battery.
14. remove front wheel chocks.
15.drive forward off of the ramps, remove ramps, and go test it out!!

I liked the advice about "secure your long hair." Remembering your post about it in another thread!

I installed mine in about 10 minutes with the aid of the lift in the auto hobby shop on base. I absolutely love being able to choose what ever gear I like.

I liked the advice about "secure your long hair."
Yep... that was the first thing I grabbed on the way out... the ponytail thingie. I'm not likely to make THAT mistake twice! :L

I just can't believe I waited this long to do it. I thought that the skip shift didn't bother me that much, until I did this fix and realized how much I had altered my driving style to get around it.
Driving around yesterday, and being able to select 2nd WHENEVER I wanted to, put the biggest grin on my face. That, and the satisfaction of doing the fix myself.

One thing I have wondered...

Would it be a wise thing to reconnect the skip-shift once a year or so just to make sure the solenoid is still working? Opinions?

I don't know the answer to that. What if it wasn't working... would that hurt anything?
I do think it might be useful to check underneath occasionally to make sure the harness and connectors were still secure and not melting. I read a post somewhere about someone who had a problem with that. I don't know how hot the transmission gets, but those plastic pieces look like it wouldn't take much to melt them.

Excellant work , MrsSchroder ! This topic comes up every couple of months . This should help alot of people . Cliff

Now that's what we like to see; members helping members while providing at the same time, a step-by-step procedure (with pictures!) of complete instructions as to how to perform the work.

It takes more effort and might seem like a waste of valuable time, especially when you are up to your armpits in work, but taking the time to photograph the steps involved, then typing the instructions is so very very helpful to others. Don't worry though if there are still questions about the procedure, there will always be more questions. ;)

Thank you very much Tammy! :upthumbs

Thanks Mrs.S. That was very informative. I would assume the procedure is the same on C4's. My only concern is; does unplugging CAGS give false signals and light up any "check engine" warnings, and will it cause problems when it is time for emissions testing? (required in my state) And again, thanks for the great info!

thanks, Ken!
Mac96: if you use the plug kit that I used, there will be no false signals, "check engine" warnings, or (as I understand) emissions problems. Now if you just disconnect the factory connector, and don't plug it back.... I don't know what happens, but I wouldn't advise doing that :)

My husband says I was remiss not to post a pic of how I secured the new connector and harness. I ran the zip tie through the bolt hole that you see in the closeup pic between steps 9 and 10 and secured it to it that way. I'll post a pic the next time I get the car up on ramps again :D

edit: see post 6, which has been edited to show the zip tie

Great job Mrs S.:upthumbs I know of at least one new C5 owner who will be very interested when he sees your post.

- Eric

Good Job!

Thank you MrsSchroeder, I appreciate your attention to detail. A lot of effort went into that report to make it easy to read and understand. Looking forward to more special reports from you. Respectfully, Al Hagel (GreyGhost)

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words!
It was my pleasure to be able to contribute something to this wonderful forum. Ken... re your friendship thread... I think THAT may have been my original inspiration to post this. I was thinking back on the friendships and inspiration that the CAC has given me since I joined back in October, and I thought that this might be a small token of expressing my appreciation to the admins and members of this forum :)
If anyone sees any errors, please point them out and I'll fix them. After all, I am still VERY mechanically challenged. :)
Tammy

...so that I understand this problem.....

On a new Z06, 2002, I am not able to shift to any gear that I wish ?

Not sure I have experienced this ?

From a stop light. Shift to 1 then to 2 and so on...

When would I experience this forced shift from 1 to 4 ???

Please tell me.

Bill.
Cheers!
:confused

Bill,
It is a "feature" of the 6-speed transmission in corvettes and some other GM cars (camaro?) since the late 80's or early 90's (from what I understand). It occurs only under light throttle, when the engine is warm, when shifting out of 1st gear. A light will appear on the dash that says something like "1 to 4 shift" and you will be forced to select 4th gear when you shift, when actually most people prefer to shift to 2nd from 1st ;)
I'll try to look up the details later today.
Tammy

Does anyone know if this has any effect on the standard GM warranty?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom