Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How Will Corvette Attract Younger Buyers To Continue Decades Long Customer Base?

tim414

Corvette
2010 '427' Z06 JetStream Blue
The thread 'what will GM do with corvette'....makes me wonder how Vette will appeal to younger buyers. They are paying higher insurance rates already so that alone makes vette ownership more costly for for a guy say 29-30y/o. Should GM model vette sales like say Porsche? Their sales definitely went up. What are everyones thoughts?

Hey - There both blondes! :thumb

L8TR - D

;LOL Ole CRAP!!....say it's not true....here we go again....btw, when I was in service stationed in Germany back in 1980 I had a friend who had one of those Opel's. They were much better cars than the Shitvette ooorrr Chevette.

I sure hope gov motors don't try and pull something like that again....that's what firmed Japans foothold on American car market (in my opinion). Well, that and their better built, more reliable and truely fuel effecient rice burners. Those americana cars that claimed fuel effeciency took 10 miniutes to wind up to 50mph. Makes me quiver to think those sitting in big chairs at GM were not around during that time and have not learned that lesson. :eyerole :puke;help;shrug

I think the answer is the late C4 and the C5 Vettes. They are priced low enough that the younger drivers can afford them and can afford the insurance. The performance is definitely good enough to make them want to trade up when their financial status supports the move.

Like it or not, the Corvette is labelled the "old man car." Go to ANY high school and look @ what the kids are driving. Econoboxes, ricer cars, Mustangs. Ford has appealed to the younger car buyer, while Corvette has not. Ask a kid about Corvettes and they say: "There for old men." Sure, this keeps our insurance rates down, but it also kills Corvettes future as these kids will aspire to higher end Japanese/ German cars...for life.

The Japanese invasion of 25-30 years ago has taken a stronghold of the American car market. These people's parents bought imports for the first time and found out they are better built. This info was passed down to their young (the kids in school today.) Guess what kind of cars these kids are going to buy? IMPORTS! Unforunately, I don't see a recovery for the domestics, unless they can "villify" one of these import car companys...

I think insurance might drive away some kids and replace them with older guys but I still see a lot of great looking babes driving Vettes.

Like it or not, the Corvette is labelled the "old man car." Go to ANY high school and look @ what the kids are driving. Econoboxes, ricer cars, Mustangs. Ford has appealed to the younger car buyer, while Corvette has not. Ask a kid about Corvettes and they say: "There for old men." Sure, this keeps our insurance rates down, but it also kills Corvettes future as these kids will aspire to higher end Japanese/ German cars...for life.

The Japanese invasion of 25-30 years ago has taken a stronghold of the American car market. These people's parents bought imports for the first time and found out they are better built. This info was passed down to their young (the kids in school today.) Guess what kind of cars these kids are going to buy? IMPORTS! Unforunately, I don't see a recovery for the domestics, unless they can "villify" one of these import car companys...

I have two nephews ages between 15-17 years old and neices 14-23 y/o. The oldest neice ((finishing Junior yr Texas A&M) who thinks "wow, the ole man sure has good taste in cars" was her remark on facebook. Guess what she drives and has already had (3) of them....FORD MUSTANG....The boys, the oldest one got his license last year and now has his first car....it's a Saturn....wanted a safe car for him to get some experience driving.... well.... the vette is "foreign" to the boys. They like it, don't get me wrong, but it's not a car they are naturally aspiring too (in the near future). I think thats why GM needs to come up with a low-end ($18-25k prices range) car that can/has performance parts readily available as to gain a loyal following. The Camaro is great. But there needs to be another car just below the Camaro which encompasses performance as to perform/compete w/those 'boxy' ricers and the younger crowd can 'trade-up' as their economic conditions improve w/time. Your definitely correct about the imports. And thats exactly how they came to be w/the so called middle-class. The same class that will some day be Vette buyers provided they into GM cars at a EARLY AGE to gain that customer loyality. Thats a powerful thing. Worked on me. Pontiac muscle was the starter too, '1969' to date myself (was teenager in 70's)...

Also wanted to say I'm doing my best to get those boys 'riding' in my Vette!!!!

I think thats why GM needs to come up with a low-end ($18-25k prices range) car that can/has performance parts readily available as to gain a loyal following. The Camaro is great. But there needs to be another car just below the Camaro which encompasses performance as to perform/compete w/those 'boxy' ricers and the younger crowd can 'trade-up' as their economic conditions improve w/time.

Chevy has the Cobalt Coupe SS, 260 HP, 30 MPG highway and it is selling for $22,255 right now. I have no direct experience with this car but I have read several positive reviews. I do not believe it is on the kids radar. My guess is that it's not 'cool'. So how do you fix that perception? I don't know the answer but GM better figure it out.

I think the best way to attract the younger crowd are the below $20k C3s, C4s and C5s. One can get a LOT of car for that $20k ceiling. Most kids think that Corvettes are "un-obtainium" for their price range. Yes it may be prohibative insurance wise but most cars would be anyway for that age group. As long as we "older" folks keep upgrading to the next C6 and beyond, our well-cared for older steeds will be there for the young-uns. And as long as the C6s and beyond remain within our price range our cast-offs will be there for the next Corvette generation. And instead of running off that punk kid looking at your car, maybe engage him/her in conversation and give them some of your Corvette fever.

This is so true!!!!!!!!!!

Right now l was thinking about trading my C5 for a C5 vert or a C6 vert but before l even tried l asked my nephews if any of them had any interest. The vette is a low mileage garage queen anyway they all said that they loved my vette but it is not for them because it can only seat two and there was no trunk room and didn't want a car that attracked cops.
Moral of the story it's for the old folk!!!!!!

Last year at carlisle thee was a tent with maybe 30/40 men and women sitting with several new C6's in front of them and all that l could think of is l hope l don't look like them when l hit 100.
If looked like an old age home reunion.

What l want to see is young people behind the wheel!!!!!

Young people are behind the wheel...

26467d1176754225-i-have-located-ricer-stang-ricer-48377.jpg

I don't understand this thread at all. The Corvette is selling relatively well, if it wasn't then Chevrolet would discontinue it. It's pretty amazing that the car has survived this economy. Most younger people can't afford this car to begin with, it's been like this since the car was introduced in the fifties. There will always be a percentage of the population that salivates over the Corvette, well I'm proudly one of them, but I didn't buy my first brand-new Corvette until a couple of years ago, up until then I could only afford to buy used ones.

Competition among sports cars has produced a pretty amazing C6; this is by far the best car i have ever owned, and the best corvette ever. It's quiet, powerful, easy to drive, has plenty of storage, excellent visibility, great gas mileage, killer looks, in short the engineers have done something that one would never think possible: they have created a Corvette that you can drive every day. This car easily matches or exceeds its competitors in so many aspects that it sells itself, I think it was a smart move for Chevrolet to create the Hertz rental so that people could try it out; I simply can't imagine Chevrolet ever having the confidence to have tried this in the 1980s with the c4.

In short, the car is an excellent product, and to suggest that younger people aren't interested in it is an anecdotal observation specific to your particular circumstances; every time I drive anywhere in my c6, it is stared at by dozens of people, young and old, and I can't count the number of times that people have come up to me at gas stations to talk about it.

So here's to hoping that the Corvette will be around for a long, long time.

The younger folks while loving to look at the corvette have very little interest because it's only a 2 seater and no luggage room for stuff!!!!!!!!!!

This is for empty nester's and people who are a couple or alone, maybe a dog.

I think that the driver in the ricer with the fart-can wants a vette. He sure came close enough to me as he farted by on the freeway. He probably thought "do I have to be that old to drive a vette" ;LOL

I'm very close to seeking out a late C5 Z06 or early C6 Z06. At 26 years old, I own a 73 Firebird Trans Am a 71 Firebird Formula and my 86 vert. I'm wrestling with selling one of the birds, probably the 71. There are alot folks my age that haven't really strived to own these fine peices.

I think a good PR stunt, or a movie would start kids on that track. Kids my age became very interested in the ricers because as the movie Fast and Furious came out I was probably 16-17. This was a huge hit for for kids at a very influential age, I already interested in corvettes and old muscle wasn't phased. Something needs to start now to get kids that are 14-16 interested in corvettes so out of college this is one of their goals.

Maybe GM could give me a new vette, and I would go around promoting it at the local high schools!! :thumb

(GM give new Vette)
Sounds great, but don't hold your breath....:) ...government motors will give it away, just not in this sense....your correct about needing something (PR) to grab their attention....

I don't understand this thread at all. The Corvette is selling relatively well, if it wasn't then Chevrolet would discontinue it.
Yeah, if you define "relatively well" as a 50 year low.
It's pretty amazing that the car has survived this economy. Most younger people can't afford this car to begin with, it's been like this since the car was introduced in the fifties. There will always be a percentage of the population that salivates over the Corvette, well I'm proudly one of them, but I didn't buy my first brand-new Corvette until a couple of years ago, up until then I could only afford to buy used ones.
I didn't know this thread was to differentiate between new vs. used.
Competition among sports cars has produced a pretty amazing C6; this is by far the best car i have ever owned, and the best corvette ever. It's quiet, powerful, easy to drive, has plenty of storage, excellent visibility, great gas mileage, killer looks, in short the engineers have done something that one would never think possible: they have created a Corvette that you can drive every day.
You may have redeemed yourself here. All true.
This car easily matches or exceeds its competitors in so many aspects that it sells itself, I think it was a smart move for Chevrolet to create the Hertz rental so that people could try it out;
Yes, true here too.
In short, the car is an excellent product, and to suggest that younger people aren't interested in it is an anecdotal observation specific to your particular circumstances; every time I drive anywhere in my c6, it is stared at by dozens of people, young and old, and I can't count the number of times that people have come up to me at gas stations to talk about it.
No argument there, it still gets a lot of attention.
So here's to hoping that the Corvette will be around for a long, long time.
HERE,HERE!:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom