Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hugh Oil Problem - I Really Need Help.

Also, from personal experience, many years ago I shimmed the oil pump bypass spring with washers to increase the oil pressure. All was fine at first, during the summer months, but when the Chicago temps dropped and I started the engine it blew out the oil filter gasket immediately.

Apparently the by-passs couldn't by-pass all the oil it needed to. I dropped the pan, pulled the pump and removed the washers and all was well again - Well except for the BIG OIL SPILL CLEAN-UP I was faced with.

On my 86 Vette I once found the oil cooler adapter screws loose, but that only caused a small leak.

Jake

West Point ROCKS!

You might have a defective oil pressure sending unit that is not related to the leak. That might explain the intermittent fluxuation when it gets really warm. The next thing you should check is the oil return passage in your heads. If they got blocked somehow that can cause oil to seep at the valve cover and may have been on the floor before you even started the car. Make sure your valve covers bolts haven't loosened up also. That is a fairly common problem.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom