Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I Bought a Big Block Tonight

fine69

Corvette
'69 Convertible Vette; '72 Z28 Camaro Rally Sport
I took the plunge and bought a 454 big block tonight. So here a new project starts, I am looking at modifying it to a 502.

The person I bought it from is restoring a '65 and has an original 1966 prototype ZL1 aluminum block (with numbers stamped on the pad) that is being cleaned up for assembly. He's been in communications with some former GM engineers, GM book authors, etc.

Very cool, we literally talked Corvettes for hours. I suggested he join our forum and contact JohnZ.... so keep a lookout for ZL1Johnny.

Ralph

I took the plunge and bought a 454 big block tonight. So here a new project starts, I am looking at modifying it to a 502.

The person I bought it from is restoring a '65 and has an original 1966 prototype ZL1 aluminum block (with numbers stamped on the pad) that is being cleaned up for assembly. He's been in communications with some former GM engineers, GM book authors, etc.

Very cool, we literally talked Corvettes for hours. I suggested he join our forum and contact JohnZ.... so keep a lookout for ZL1Johnny.

Ralph
so what car are you putting the big block in . one day i would like to put a big block in my 66

NICE!!!! I guess will both be very busy with projects this year...Still hope to hook up with you this year.

Cool! Nothing like a big block, they seem to pull forever.

That thing aughta carry the mail!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Today I talked to the owner of the machine shop that will be doing the work.

It looks like the Gen IV blocks probabaly can't be bored to 4.447" spec of a 502; he's researching to confirm this for me. There are other alternatives to consider, including a stroker kit. With respect to a 572, those require a tall deck block.

so what car are you putting the big block in . one day i would like to put a big block in my 66

I'm gonna put it in the Vette. I'll likely put the rebuilt L-46 in the Camaro... then put the Camaro's 350 on Craigslist or something.

Ralph

Their is no replacement for :cooldisplacement

nice choice, at least you have a plan for it. I've got a 454 that was running when I bought it, but can't find anything to put it in.:D

Today I talked to the owner of the machine shop that will be doing the work.

It looks like the Gen IV blocks probabaly can't be bored to 4.447" spec of a 502; he's researching to confirm this for me. There are other alternatives to consider, including a stroker kit. With respect to a 572, those require a tall deck block.

Yeah, he confirmed that in order to make a 502, we should use a Gen VI block. That's okay, I am getting pretty psyched-up about the 454. Of course, he gave several options.... stroker 496 or 427 using a different crankshafts. Leaving it as a 454 would be easiest, cylinders would still require +.030 machining.

Sounds choice Dude. Good luck with your buildup!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom