Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I bought it new

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmansvette

Corvette
1981 two tone
Sorry for getting all you upset. The carb is junk chevy never made a good one, and why would i want a computer to time my dist. and set the carb. if i wanted that i would buy a new vette. the car is just the way it was when it rolled off the factory line. 73,000 miles and nothing has been changed. Its time for a change. I am the only owner.

Sorry for getting all you upset.

It's all good. I don't think anybody is upset.

The carb is junk chevy never made a good one,

I've been working on carbs for 35 years. I've used and rebuilt Holleys, Carters, Quadrajets, Mikunis and innumerable oddballs, and the E4ME that came stock on '81 Corvettes are the highest quality, most precise and efficient units I have ever dealt with. If you have found something superior to it, please let me know what it is!

why would i want a computer to time my dist. and set the carb.

Peak performance and efficiency are the first things that come to mind...

the car is just the way it was when it rolled off the factory line. 73,000 miles and nothing has been changed. Its time for a change. I am the only owner.

Sell it for a premium price, then go out and buy one that is more what you want. Take the money you have left over and go to Hawaii!

God bless, Sensei

P.S. If you are looking to upgrade performance, there are much better things to do (things that will actually give you better performance instead of throwing away money for nothing).

For example:
-Exhaust System (single biggest bang for the buck)
-Camshaft
-General performance tuning (fuel and timing adjustments for performance)
-Heads
-Th700r4 or Th2004r transmission
-Rear Gears
Etc.

People that dont like this carb havent taken the time, or are not smart enough to be able to figure it out. Sure it can take some tuning to set up, but once thats done it works as well or better than any other you will put on the car. Spend a bit of time learning about it and all the systems the computer controls before removing it. If you cant get the carb to work correctly now, you probably would be totally lost trying to make it run with a different one!

Hey RC81

What gives you the right to call me stupid. You dont even know me. You like the carb I dont, its that simple. But to call someone stupid is just wrong.;shrug

Where is the word stupid in my post? Am just saying, take the time to figure out how the carb works and interacts with the other componets in the car. Unless you want to spend some money, and know how to disable the computer you probably wont be happy with the end resuls. I was really unhappy with mine untill I learned about it. Sure it took some time to figure it all out, but lots of people condem this carb without much knowledge about it. Dont get worked up - thats not my intention.

You have a one owner, original, twentynine year old Corvette and you're complaining.

;shrug
Great point! I have a 2000 coupe and would like to get an 81 before it's all over for me. If I could afford it right now I would make him an offer.
Andy :w

The carb is junk chevy never made a good one,

Well, you're almost right on one point. Chevy never made any carbs, they were all bought from outside suppliers. If you don't like what you've got and it's not a matter of gradual wear and tear, why did you wait 29 years to do something?

Here's a suggestion, why not buy an Edelbrock carb. That's a copy of a Carter carb Chevy used from the 50s to the 60s, before dumping them. So that's no good. Or how about a Holley? Nope Chevy used them too. Qjet? Nope.

Guess you're out of luck.

I'm closing this thread!

It seems to be headed in a direction that I and the rest of our staff don't like to see.

Regardless of the intent, it seems to me the important aspect of our Community of providing "Support & Help" of each other in our little world is losing it's focus in this Thread. :w

Bud Dougherty
Forums Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom