Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! I can't believe I have to ask this! Gauge cluster screws.

dap220

Corvette
1981 Burgundy Metallic Coupe - 4 Speed
Hi All,
I am trying to pull the gauge bezels from my 1981 Corvette so I can get to the lens and gauges to clean them. Problem is I can't find a bit that will fit in and bite enough to unscrew them!! I have tried hex head and torze bits to no avail. The closest I come is a 7/32" hex head but that gets no bite and feels like is is rounding out the head.
Does anyone know what type of tool I need to get these screws out? I have included a picture for reference.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Dale

DSCN0826.jpg

Those allen head bolts on the face are cosmetic(FAKE!).
You need to remove the entire gauge cluster. 2 screws top, 2 screws sides, 2 screws bottom to the shift console(accessible after removing the carpet side panels). Remove radio knobs and radio retaining nuts. Carefully pull forward at the top and then unplug heater light connection and gauge pigtail.
Pain to take out, brittle plastic and tight fit at the bottom.

It is ALWAYS better to ask if your not sure than to break something and really screw it up!!!:hb
questions are cheap broken parts are not!!!:mad
So don't hesitate to ask!!!!Were here to help!!:thumb

Find thread.

I see from your picture your gas gage is a problem. Do a search on gages and read it. I forget if it is a ground issue or voltage and the problem may be at the tank. So read before you pull the gage cluster.

If some one can find that thread it would be helpful for Dale.

I see from your picture your gas gage is a problem. Do a search on gages and read it. I forget if it is a ground issue or voltage and the problem may be at the tank. So read before you pull the gage cluster.

If some one can find that thread it would be helpful for Dale.

the sender has an open circuit. From here the best option would be to ground the sender wire at the tank and see if the gage pegs at empty. If it does it's probably a band sender unit (but could be that the tank isn't grounded properly). If not then there's a break in the wire somewhere.

You all are the best!!

Thank you all for the responses.
I thought I was losing it not being able to get a few screws out!!
This forum has been awesome from my initial introduction to this very helpful post. :thumb

I hope you all have a outstanding weekend. I know I will now with my newly acquired knowedge.

Dale

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom