Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Intake/carb won't fit under hood?

twoseater

Corvette
1965 Blue Vert, 1980 White Coupe
Hello -I bought my first vet last year (1980 L48) with the expectation that I would learn more about cars and how to work on em. My first upgrade was going to be a new carb and intake. Now here is the problem -the Edlebrock airgap intakes indicated they wouldn't fit under a stock vette hood. So I called and ordered the Edlebrock Performer EPS and the Thunder Carb. Upon getting it, the doc's clearly state the intake won't fit under the hood (wish Jegs could have told me that prior to ordering a Saturday delivery - despite my asking...!).

So, has anyone actually got this intake to fit under a stock hood? If so how?

What are people using for intakes under stock hoods as it appears I will need to find an alternate intake.

I really didn't want to go down that path of a new hood but it does appear to be fairly restrictive in terms of what you can squeeze under it.

Thanks for helping.

Have seen posts on the use of a drop base air cleaner assy. to solve this prob.

P.S. Welcome, enjoy the vette!:w

Thanks! I searched before posting but didn't see anything. Not knowing what a drop base air clear was I searched on that - sure enough this question has been asked a lot of times and that seems to be the solution. Some are even running the airgap intake manifold.

I think I will go that route - but not sure what that means for the vent pipes/carb air heat host etc that connect to the current air cleaner. Looks like that all goes away with the drop base. Time to do some more reading and research!

I haven't gotten that far yet in my rebuild. I have a performer rpm intake and the catalog said the same thing (will not fit under stock hood) for that too. I've eyeballed it though and it looks like I may be able to get it cleared. I'm looking at the Holley Hi-Tek air cleaner. It's $250, but it is cheaper than buying and painting a new hood. The price you pay for performance...

Twoseater, I have an edelbroc performer with the thunder avs carb on mine, I was using the original quadrajet on a drop base & hood would barely close with 2" air filter, after changing carbs I think I gained some room, I gotta borrow some silly putty off the little guy & see if I can get a 3" filter under there. That carb works great by the way..my gas milage has gone up & power increased allthough the old carb was re-built. I never installed the choke & the car starts & idles great even cold.

Glad to hear that someone has been, there done that. Let me know if you get the 3" in there. I doubt I'll beat ya to the attempt!

i've got an rpm air gap with a demon carb. fits like a glove with a drop base and 2.5in filter.

I am running a EPS manifold and 1406 600cfm Edelbrock carb with drop base air cleaner on a '77 with no problems.Runs great, made a big difference. The later model vette hood may have a lower slope to them I'm not positive.

had same problem

I had the same problem on my 78 L82 engine .

I opted for a power plus crosswind manifold and 650 squarebore holley with mechanical secondaries.Also machined off the choke horn, as it really does not need one here in brisbane Australia,as doesnt get that cold.
Managed two find an 8 inch x2 inch high air cleaner and fitted an K&N air cleaner top. It looks small but works really well as the whole of the air cleaner is just that,air cleaner.

cheers from down under ernie:beer

I have the performer on my 81 with the EB 1406 carb, and no problems, other than I had to go with a drop air cleaner. Also watch the throttle hitting the old air cleaner, can cause the throttle to stick.........ask me how I know.

Well (ummmmmm, {clearing throat} hummmmm) , it all started with a simple replacement of the intake, carb, and distributor, while trying to keep the original air cleaning assembly, and nearly led to death..........

I had the new setup in the garage, everything fine, set time, blah blah.........

I then took it out for a stroll, taking it easy, trying it out the new stuff and everything seemed fine.......until.......

Yep, I had to goose her, problem was, I was in my neighorhood (country setting) and at the end of the road was a locked gate........anyway, I goose her, throttle sticks, I say oH ****E, (as I'm running out of road and now doing 80 mph around a curve that leads to death), jam on brakes, start grabbing the gear shift, (never occured to me to turn the key off), next thing I know I hear a giant backfire, then some clanking, engine is dead.........Thank god, I'm thinking, then I realize I probably just grenaded my tranny..........

To make a long story shorter, I just ended up tearing apart a half axle.......

Freakin' throttle assembly stuck under the ridges on the existing air cleaner. Needless to say, it got the hammer in the garage!!

Looking at this thread-I'm curious. Can an Edelbrock Performer, Q-Jet carb and stock air cleaner clear the stock '72 hood?

I need to know 'cause I'm about to do this swap. Thanks,

Rick

:w

pheeew

That must have been a bit close for comfort.

I did similar thing ,got my no 14s caught and tangled around the go pedal going around a round about. Bugger me if i didnt end up going over said obsticle at a rapid rate then up the wrong side of the road and backthru a break in the island onto the right side and down the road. Lucky nothing came the other way.

After getting home and changing ones underpants had a look to see the damage and found the heater hose cut in half, and a nasty ding in one mag.

Have been very careful near round abouts ever since, to stay on my side.

cheers ernie :beer

measure it first

RodsnRides said:
Looking at this thread-I'm curious. Can an Edelbrock Performer, Q-Jet carb and stock air cleaner clear the stock '72 hood?

I need to know 'cause I'm about to do this swap. Thanks,

Rick

Stick some putty type substance to the highest part of your original air cleaner and close bonnet. measure that height down to lowest point of inlet manifold,and that will give you the maximum height you can go . you should be able to measure the new manifold and carby prior to buying it that way.
Keep in mind that a large diameter air cleaner can hit the bonnet before it gets all the way down.

Good luck and cheers ernie:beer

Thank you

I appreciate the quick response. I will check everything prior to final. Actually, I have just used towels and stacked them up, looking for "the dent"-if you know what I mean.

All good :D

G'day Brisbane! Hoping I get there on this deployment in October (US Antarctic Program). Looking at late November timeframe for Oz. Will advise...

Cheers, mate. :beer

Rick

Antarctica - The last frontier

McMurdo Station - the main staging area for the US program. I'm involved in the South Pole Traverse Project, developing a surface traverse capability from McMurdo to South Pole.

More about the US Antarctic Program can be seen at www.polar.org.

I have completed 11 deployments, my first in 1979. I have a total of 60 months "on-Ice" time. Our "jump-off" point is Christchurch, new Zealand.

"The Ice is nice, but Chi-Chi is peachy."

Rick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom