Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

It is US against them, a call to arms!

just a little off topic

I agree about the questionable birthplace of most "american" cars. I gotta disagree with some of your "american" activities. I joined the active duty army and served with more foreigners than I ever would have expected (not to be patriotic, I just wanted to jump out of airplanes and kill people...but I digress). Ever try to convey an idea to your congressman? Ours won't even respond unless the letter is accompanied with a $5000 contribution. My most patriotic duty lately has been to pay my friggin taxes. Grrrrrr.

Good letter rich-
My idea of an American car is the Corvette, because it was designed by Americans with our decadent ideas, like being heavier because we can put in a larger displacement engine, because we can afford to pay for gas, because we don’t need turbos to compensate, because American drivers are used to high torque immediate action engines.

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/c4s4ever/

Re: just a little off topic

Drewser said:
(not to be patriotic, I just wanted to jump out of airplanes and kill people...but I digress).

:L :L :L :L

Re: just a little off topic

Drewser said:
I joined the active duty army and served with more foreigners than I ever would have expected (not to be patriotic, I just wanted to jump out of airplanes and kill people...but I digress).

But you joined and served. It's the action that counts.

Ever try to convey an idea to your congressman? Ours won't even respond unless the letter is accompanied with a $5000 contribution.

Again, it's taking the time to make yourself heard - regardless of whether they respond. I've sent a number of letters over the past year or so, mostly relating to the future of Amtrak. Only got one response (but it was a decent one).

My most patriotic duty lately has been to pay my friggin taxes. Grrrrrr.

Considering how many people try and weasle out of paying, you're a step ahead of the crowd...

My list wasn't meant to be an exhaustive definition of patriotism - just a sample of things that are more supportive of our great country than buying only "American" cars.

Of course, jumping out of airplanes and killing people is a worthy cause, too... :)

[RICHR]

Boy , my idea of being american must be very antiquated. I am awestruck by the idea that my values,ideals and beliefs might be ' Misplaced Patriatism". hmmm... or maybe its just that I have never owned a foriegn car and I've never had to justify owning one. I'm soooo confused...:L :L :L I do know I like my s-10 p-up and Blazer and Bonneville and of course ,"THE GREAT AMERICAN ICON, THE CORVETTE".......:w :w <- American

because we don’t need turbos to compensate

Hey now, I resent that remark! :L :L :L just kidding. I do, however, enjoy my boost. Even low boost like 5-6psi around town. But there's nothing like running a full 15 passing a semi on a deserted road where it's just you and him. :D

Where oh where has this topic gone? :L Good discussion though.

-T Jay

Tysig.jpg

HEY!

I've spent most of the last hour reading through what I thought was a pretty cool forum on hot rod C-4's. However somewhere along the line it turned into a "More American Than Thou" match.

So. Are we going to continue on the same vane? Or is someone going to tell me about how they took their Trevor Johnson cylinder headed, Ed Wright computer chipped, Comp Cammed, Crane liftered, Borla Exhausted, tire smoking, small animal scaring(typo?) C-4 out and kicked some Mustang (better yet Cobra) butt!!!

I would like to read about:
Horsepower mods for C-4 Vettes
Suspension mods for C-4 Vettes
Brake mods for C-4 Vettes
Driving C-4 Vettes
Racing C-4 vettes (Drag, Autox, Street, I'm not pickey(typo))
The first C-4 I drove
The first C-4 I owned
The first C-4 I saw
YOU GET THE POINT?

Now if I came to the cool guys forum about C-4's then alright, I found a home. If this instead is the "I got my butt kicked by some evil foreign car so now I must lash out on all sorts of ridiculous subjects" forum, then you can take my membership and (hey look Ken, he stopped before he got to far out of line).

By the way, Doesn't this website rock?

Steve

Re: Re: Re: I hate rice!

Drewser said:

2k--American has an R in it.

Maybe it's just that the 18 year olds can't afford a vette yet. There are a lot of those gross wing, coffee can exhaust, purple neon ultra-thumpers here too. They make me laugh like when I see a kid with pink and purple hair and a bone thru his/her nose.
--Drew:w
:bu:bu

Im 18 and i just got my dream car. Im the one paying for it and insurance, not daddy. Right now im putting a big stereo in and later after im done with the exhaust i plan on getting a wing too.
Plus i got a lip ring and color my hair from time to time.

I wish there was a list of sure fire mods, id like to get my L98 to preform more like a LT-1 or maybe even a LT-4

Wheelie said:
HEY!

If this instead is the "I got my butt kicked by some evil foreign car so now................. Steve

Ah, but remember, it seemed to me the last time I looked he was clearly in my rear view. Just way too close for comfort.

This thread has actually been amazing , but it is a mile off topic.

I realize I did not "pose" the actual question as clear as I should have. That is I would like to see a set series of mods for the specific C4 models (L98/LT1), that become the "tried and true", guaranteed to sink the car deep into the 12's less driver error. At least to me, a street car with functional a/c, stereo, saftey equip, etc. etc. that will spank mid low 12's is the definition of a super fast super street car.

Maybe I can hook up with 2KSonoma very soon and hit the Gainesville Speedway, or borrow one of his buddies G-tech machines to get some idea what I have done already. However, I feel the mods I have on the 90 are fairly hap hazard, and not all a matched set.

I see question after question out there on all the different message boards asking "if I add this, what will I get?, what is this mod worth?, etc"

My tie in back to the imports is the fact that a local tuner is doing this for the import crowd. He has a series of stages with turbos, intercoolers, etc. that he installs. You go up to him and ask to have a honda civic that will run 12's, and he will put you there. In other words, the ricer crowd around here (the fast ones at least) are running about the same thing on each car, and they KNOW how fast they are, thus the boldness at which they will "challenge" any otherwise powerfull nameplate.

Money is a huge factor in any modification.

Things we do know:

1. Better gears help a L98, but work best for a LT1 platform.
2. The auto trans has an awesome first gear ratio already, but could use a higher stall converter for more violent powerful launch speed
3. L98 intakes choke at higher RPM and need help breathing
4. LT1 intakes work fine less a larger t/b no matter how much hsp you try to cram under them.
5. All the aluminum heads are decent, but to get the car to stroll they need to be ported, with larger valves.
6. Aftermarket heads work great, they are out there a plenty, and maybe be the best possible first inner upgrade for the 84-86 cast iron head guys.
7. Headers are a must at all levels of performance mods.
8. All stock short blocks are pretty much fine as they are right out of the box unless you are after exotic over the top performance. My suggestion is to look at cam, head, intake, injector, t/b, e-prom, exhaust, and gear combos and leave the pistons and crank alone.

Jeff has pointed out several times that the aftermarket e-prom chips are fairly generic and don't always give the best possible program for a modified car. In tune with my other thoughts I wish we were set up here to do our own community chip building and burning.

69 MyWay

My 95 Auto LT-1 with the 3.41 rear ratio pickup up more than a half second with very easy mods-

160 thermostat
throttle body coolent bypass (not the kit, just plug the hose in to the return pipe on the passenger side of the tb.
K&N filter and air foil
Cut open lid on the air box
fan overide switch, both fans (170 degree coolent temp at take off seems best)

total of 95 bucks!!
The Corsa cat back system was good for maybe a tenth or so
(not cost effective)

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/c4s4ever/

Yes, I have to update my webpage. 13.39

Hey T-Jay,

Nothing wrong with a little boost. In fact, Chevy actually built a TURBO V-6 Vette in 1980 as a little experiment. It made the show circuit but too many die hard V-8 folks hated it so the idea died. If memory serves me correctly, it cranked out much more than the smog choked 80 V-8s could muster. I'll have to look it up at home. Tha car actually had "turbo v-6" in huge letters oon the door just behind the side vents.

Dang, here we are back off topic again....I love this place:D.

- Eric :w

The Grand National, Syclone and Ty dont use boost to compensate- the use it to over achive!!!

Couldn't have said it better myself! I just didn't want to push any buttons. :L

Eric, I've seen the Turbo Vette, in a book anyway, and that book happens to be on my shelf. :D After I get back from class I'll take a look and see if it shows any performance specs and post em.

As for being off topic, this is one of those "all encompasing" threads. :D

T Jay

69MyWay said:

Maybe I can hook up with 2KSonoma very soon and hit the Gainesville Speedway, or borrow one of his buddies G-tech machines to get some idea what I have done already.

69MyWay, I've got a GTech you're welcome to borrow. Keep in mind, though, that a GTech is best geared to showing differences between modifications rather than a single data point "I am here, this is what I have". It's not as accurate as some of the more expensive test units (vericomp?) but it *is* consistent.

[RICHR]

71Shark said:
Nothing wrong with a little boost. In fact, Chevy actually built a TURBO V-6 Vette in 1980 as a little experiment.

Hey, hey... let's not forget the Callaway twin Turbo, either - that was an RPO, so I'd consider it a non-modded Vette.
[RICHR]

Chevy actually built a TURBO V-6 Vette in 1980 as a little experiment

Found it! According to my book, McLellan's engineers built it in 1979, but it was a turbo v-8. They used an AIResearch T03 turbo, combined with fuel injection on an L-48 to boost hp from a measly 195 to somewhere around 280-290. Performance wasn't much better than a n/a L-82. The turbo went 0-60 in 6.3 seconds and the n/a L-82 did 0-60 in 6.6 seconds. 1/4 was 15 flat for the turbo, as opposed to 15.3 for the n/a L-82.

Here's the Vette:
Turbo_Vette.JPG

And here's the motor:
Turbo_Motor.jpg

(photos from: Corvette The American Legend.)
I love books! especially about Vettes! Now I just need to find some books about my Phoon. :L

-T Jay

T Jay,

That's the car that I was seeing in my mind but there is another one that actually was a V-6. I'll have to track that puppy down once I get my baby off of the jack stands:eyerole. BTW, I dig that paint scheme - it just screams early 80's:D.

- Eric :w

I was thinking one of my books had a V-6 turbo in it also, but that's the one that was easy to find. I'll look again for the V-6. How bout them wheels? :L

-T Jay

Didnt Pontaic build a firbird with a turbo? I believe it was a 301 and it might have been 1980....

gooney0 said:
2KSonoma,

I'm entiltled to my opinion, and I'm entitled to express it.

I'll toss you a bone, and fall for your atempt to pit me against another community member. "yes it would" :)

-Gooney0

P.S. You missed my point.... I don't care if you've got a toaster that does 10's in the quarter mile. Patriotism isn't buying American Flags with little "Made in China" stickers on the back. I choose to put my money where my mouth is. I only buy American.

Yes you are, and I am also...

I just used Chris as a example since everyone seems to know him here as a Corvette man. I wasnt trying to pit you against him, so dont think of it like that.

Like was said earlier, find me a ALL American car and I will buy it...There is no car anymore that is pure American, that simple. Heck there is probably some import cars that are "more" American than a local domestic you would find here.

You might want to look at some of those repo parts you have on your car, or your computer, or your cell phone, or any electronics in your house before you say "I only buy American" ;)

Either way, I get your point....But your point isnt as solid as you would like it to be.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom