Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Keep Stock manifolds or headers

vetteKID

Corvette
74 L-48 coupe & 85 454 coupe
Well right now I have the stock manifolds on with the unsightly AIR hoses coming off of it. I was given a set of 350 universal Chevy shortie headers, who can argue with free, and was wondering if I should attempt to put theses on and redo the exhaust. Right now I have, as previously stated, the manifolds and stock pipes going down to dumps w/o mufflers, and it is very loud and really not was I want. Needless to say, I am redoing the exhaust with 2 1/2 chambered mufflers and a cross over, dumping before the wheels (I have side pipe cover however do not want to make all the twists and turns in the sidepipes). So I guess my questions is, Are these headers going to work or should I keep the manifolds and redo my exhaust using those?

Thanks...Cheers :beer

Headers will give you a boost in performance any way, so I will go with the headers. They might give you some horrors when it comes to bolting them up because some of them have the holes close to the pipes, just take a look and see if you can get a wrench on the bolt when you put it in the hole. As for the noise level, it depends on the muffler you put on.

vetteKID, the headers should work fine. The chambered exhaust might present a problem with noise as you earlier stated that you did not want.
I have headers with chambered exhaust all the way out to the rear. How far away is Glenwood?

Western Howard County, MD. Thanks for the replys guys.

vetteKID, approach anything labeled "universal fit" with caution. It seems more often than not that there's GM parts and then there's Corvette parts. The Corvette has always been it's own platform (save for the new Caddy XLR). Using these "universal fit" shorties may just have you redoing more than you planned on, which if that's the case, might as well the application-specific part

Don't spend my 2¢ all in one place. :D

I've had three custom exhaust systems done by FreeState Auto Repair in Frederick, MD. They have the ability to bend their own pipes. Last week they completed my Camaro with an H-Pipe and chrome tips --- all welded together beautifully! It took them a couple of hours to complete. They were also working on a 1969 427 tripower... very nice.

Give them a call at 301-663-0773 and talk to Gary.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom