Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Key Fob ?

avacorvette said:
My battery whent dead over storage. had to reprogram the radio and found out the key fobs don't work. The owners manual tells you how to reprogram the key fobs (2-11 :confused i think) but my auto trunk opener on the key fob does not work. I will try tonight to reprogram. Anybody else have this problem????

Just don't drop your fob too often. I've lost TWO that way!

Did anyone ever find the solution of the key FOB forgetting. I also have the problem of the setting the FOB and it working for a few hours and then forgetting the next day. Reprogram it and it works for a while and then a few days latter it has forgotten again. I had the dealer look at it when he did some other work and they had no solution. They also tried a new FOB and it acted the same.
97 coupe

avacorvette said:
I just got a recall on the steering wheel lock yesterday. Called up C Harper(Bell Vernon PA) Chevy last night and they will be done with it today. I wll ask them about the key fob and let every one know..

When your car battery is disconnected or goes dead, the settings in the computer go away and the defaults are all that is left. You have to retrain your key fobs. You can do one on setting 1, one on setting 2 and one on pressing both setting 1 and 2 simultaneously.

If the battery goes dead on your key fob, after you replace the fob's battery, just old down the lock and unlock buttons while standing next to the car and after approximately 15 seconds the horn will beep and lights will flash as an indication that the car recognizes the fob.

Maybe some answers?

This is from the C5 Corvette Owners Manual,

Easy Entry Page 3-52
The easy entry feature will only be available if the vehicle is equipped with the memory option.

Press the OPTIONS button until SEAT EASY ENTRY appears on the display, then use the RESET button to page through the following choices:

SEAT EASY ENTRY ON
SEAT EASY ENTRY OFF

If you choose SEAT EASY ENTRY ON, when you turn the ignition off and remove the key, the seat will automatically move back and the telescopic steering wheel (if equipped) will return to its full-forward position for an easy exit or an easy entrance when returning to the vehicle.

The seat will only return to the forward position if you unlock the door with the keyless entry transmitter or press the appropriate MEMORY button.

SEAT EASY ENTRY OFF turns off this option.

]Page 2-6, your memory settings will also be recalled when you press the unlock button on the remote keyless entry transmitter, See Memory on page 2-55 for more information.

Your memory settings are now programmed. Any changes that are made to the audio system and climate controls while driving will be automatically stored when the ignition key is turned off.

When first entering your vehicle, after pressing the unlock button on your remote keyless entry transmitter or a MEMORY button, a recall of your settings will occur when the door is closed and the ignition key is in the ignition switch.

A memory recall can be stopped by pressing any memory seat, mirror or steering column position button.

Drivers 1, 2 and 3 correspond to the order in which your remote keyless entry transmitters were programmed. See Remote Keyless Entry System onpage2-4 for more information.

Memory recall will not work if the vehicle is moving. Memory recall will be temporarily interrupted during engine crank. If easy entry is on, you must press the MEMORY button to reset the seat.

Bookmark for later...

:w

Vette747 has a nice website which he posted a link to in another thread:

http://pages.videotron.com/vette747/

He has this to say about Key Fob issues:

[SIZE=+2]
[SIZE=+2]FOB Programming and synchronization[/SIZE]

Once you replaced the battery, try the following before you buy a new fob. Howver, most of the time, the fob needs to be replaced.

FOB not working is a common problem. The FOB transmit the RFA signal to a receiver in the car. The receiver is the same one used by the Tire Pressure Sensor. The receiver could be bad if there was a problem with the tire pressure monitor system. If the TPS works fine that point to the fob. Check if you have any codes in the RFA module.

You can try to reprogram. There are two type of programming. 1- Is synchronizing. Hold lock and unlock button at the same time for 20-40 sec. The horn will beep. 2- Reprogram with the DIC.

You can try with an other fob. Or ask a C5 buddy to give you his fob for a test. You reprogram and you see if the fob is really the problem.

Here is the programming procedure in case you need it.
Fob programming
1-Turn the ignition to RUN
2-Turn the radio off
3-Press the RESET button in order to clear any IPC warning messages
4-Press the Option button on the DIC until the IPC display is blank in order to enter the program mode
5-Press and hold the Reset button for 3 seconds
6-Press the option button until FOB Training message is displayed
7-Press the Reset button in order to begin the programming sequence.
8-Simultaneously press and hold the lock an unlock buttons on the first transmitter for 12 seconds. The IPC will indicate when that transmitter is programmed and when to proceed to the next .Repeat this step for each transmitter.

[/SIZE]​

Someone else posted this procedure to lock the car, (What I am referring to here when I was parking it in my garage, I typically di dnot lock it and the settings would not stay) when you get out using the FOB and it will work.

I have been testing this for about two weeks, did not drive for about six days and the memory recall worked, parked in my garage for about another five days, with it locked using the FOB. When I drove it again unlocking with the FOB, the memory worked again.

Key fobs

Terry Holtz said:
On e-bay there are plenty of fobs for sale for 2001 to 2004 Vettes. Two... a pair .... of the fobs can be had on e-bay for $28.50 plus $5.50 for shipping.

For some reason 1997 to 1999 are much more expensive. The only one I can see on e-bay is USED and is going for $56 dollars ... and there are still three days of bidding left.

That's because the '99 and '98 fobs have the "passive" on/off switch which GM eliminated on the '00 model.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom