Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

L-48 Timing

B

b2758

Got a 1978 L48 , put on a set of 041 heads , aluminum intake , hedders , and a 670 Holley carb. What is the best way to set timing for optimum performance. I'm at about 6 degree BTDC now and there is a noticable increase in power but I'm told proper timing setting will help even more. Thanks .:eyerole

Got a 1978 L48 , put on a set of 041 heads , aluminum intake , hedders , and a 670 Holley carb. What is the best way to set timing for optimum performance. I'm at about 6 degree BTDC now and there is a noticable increase in power but I'm told proper timing setting will help even more. Thanks .:eyerole

A good starting point is 8*-10* BTDC initial (set with the vacuum advance disconnected and plugged, at the lowest possible idle), 24*-26* of centrifugal advance in the distributor (all in by 3000 rpm), and the vacuum advance connected to a full manifold vacuum source (not to a "ported" source). Read this "Timing 101" article to understand more about ignition timing and advance systems:

http://www.camaros.org/pdf/timing101.pdf

:beer

In addition to John's excellent Timing 101 article, you can also drop me an e-mail request for my "How to Set Your Timing" article, which incorporates the performance timing principles John, and most engine tuners, employ to obtain best performance. In addition to simply setting the timing to spec, it is also important that you verify the advance curve (as John stated above) and select an appropriately matched vacuum advcance control unit for your application (hooked up to direct manifold vacuum as John noted), which John, Duke Williams and I have written a few articles about. Again, you can e-mail me for copies of the info.

Lars
V8FastCars@msn.com

Thanks , JohnZ and Lars. Great articles, I've read them all a couple of times and plan to work on it this weekend.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom