Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Looms w/stock exhaust?

J

juggler

I REALLY want to go with looms to replace my wires........they look great and it appears to aleviate a nightmare trying to run them back as they are.

The photos I've seen here look neater than what I see under my hood. WIll these looms work with a stock exhaust?

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...NM-1101B&N=700+400213+301258+115&autoview=sku

They are the ones reccommended in this thread

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67661&highlight=looms

but I don't see them clearing the pipes.

Will they?

I looked at that route myself a couple of years ago for my '74. The arch of the stock manifolds is too tall to clear the looms if they are mounted down against the valve cover lip, as is typically seen. However, someone with a little engenuity could come up with a stud that holds the valve cover down, and the looms up high enough to clear the manifolds. To keep from scorching the wires, I estimate the loom would have to be about flush with the top of a stock valve cover. You'd also want to consider straight-nd wires, instead of ones with angled ends. I ended up going with a set of Patriot block-hugger headers when one of the stock manifolds cracked. Good luck!

I thought I might have to go with headers, but was hoping that it wouldn't be neccesary.

I am going to take some measurements and see if I am ingenious enough to make it work ;)

I used a similar type wire loom.I made small risers that attached where the original equipment wire heat shields attach to the heads(just below valve covers) and I stood the wire loom up so the wires are sort of stacked along side of the valve covers and they sort of just peel down off the loom as you move from the rear of the engine to the front. I had some with the big pieces of plastic on them like what you are looking at, and the headers melted all the plastic. What I have now is harder and has not melted .you can sort of see the effect in the picture.

I like the idea, Curtis, but am having a hard time seeing exactly what you are explaining.

Do you have a photo at a different angle? Specifically, one that shows the placement of the wires near (through) the manifold.

Maybe you can see here how all the wires go around the rear of the valve cover and are hooked into the loom and the lowest one just curves down to the spark plug, one after the other all the way to the front. Dooing it this way, you can take off the valve covers and not have to remove wires and stuff. Best I can do. After you click the picture, go to full size screen or Save the picture and blow it up some if you have to.

I have the same valve covers as Curtis.When i bought my Vette it had the looms you are referring to but connected by the center bolts in the valve cover.As ugly as they were(or i thought they were)they did work with the stock manifolds.

None of the aftermarket wire looms are going to work with your stock ram's horn exhaust manifolds - they're all made to be used with tubular headers.

:beer

Drat!! Foiled again!!:ugh

I am not ready to go with the headers at this time, though it is in future plans. Oh well......

On a similar note, the plug wires I purchased have the boots at both ends already attached.

Am I correct in assuming that this will make threading the wires a bear?:mad

Curtis,

I've looked for some time for looms just like yours.
Do they bolt into the pre-drilled holes in the heads?

Please tell me who makes them and where you got them.

Thanks

the looms themselves do not bolt directly to the head. I made some little brackets out of 1/8 x 3/4 inch aluminum strip to bolt to the heads and raise the looms to where the top was about even with the top of the valve cover. You will need to bend the strips to clear the outside edge of the valve cover. The holes on the block were where original type heat shields would have been attached. I know I spent a full afternoon and evening putting this together, but I like what I ended up with. I have vortec heads, and am not sure if that makes a difference. I bought the looms at Advance Auto about 4 years ago,..seems like they were a Mr. Gasket product , but not certain of that.

Put them back in the stock location. It's worth the time. My $.02.

Mike

The looms I have are in the Mr Gasket catalogue. #6018 brushed aluminum . #6022 blue anodized #6023 red anodized

Curtis,

Thanks very much for the explanation and the info on the looms. I'll look at the Mr Gasket site for them.

Paul

If you have iron manifolds ... and if you have the lower Vchannels ... and if not chasing originality ... suggest pulling off & storing Vchannels ... suggest running wires down back of block & under manifolds to 90* plug boots ... more or less like OE.

V channels? I am not highly concerned about OE appearance at this time, and your suggestion sounds interesting.

What are the V channels and how would removing them affect the performance of the car? Or are they heat shields of a sort?:confused

The wires I want to put in have the 90 deg boots attached, and I don't think I can thread them through as is. :ugh

Juggler,I was cleaning my garage this weekend (i'm moving)and found my old set of looms.Email me your address and ill send them to you.

Thanks Shark,

Thank you for the offer!! :upthumbs

I am at work, but sent you an e-mail with a shipping address. If you include a return address I will send you a check to cover the shipping.

I'm curious to see if I can make them work with the stock exhaust.....I will keep you informed on how it goes.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom