Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Temperature Sender

Vette79

Corvette
1979 L-48 Black Coupe
Let me guess,the stock sender is too big for the AFR heads.I had the same problem with the crate motor in my car.After trying three different sending units i ended up at the Home Depot plumbing section and made an adapter.I know its a little"bubba" but you can't really see it and it solved my problem.

My apologies for the delay.My Corvette has been stored at my dad's house while my family has been living with my in-laws(yes,imagine the horror)while my new house is being finished.I'll try to get over there this weekend and snap a picture.

Why did you go through three different sending units? Did you experience the same problem I am having with incorrect temperature?

I had a similar problem finding a temp sender with the correct threads to fit my heads. It seems various senders have different ohm ratings and that causes incorrect temperature indications on a guage. My local Pronto Auto Parts had a huge book that listed all the resistance values for the different sizes and shapes of senders..maybe your local parts dealer has that same cross reference material. Good luck.

Not having any luck so far locating the ohm rating for a temperature sender for an L-48...

I am having the same problem. I didn't like the location of the stock sending unit, so I ran the wiring to a port on my heads, right above the starter. Yep, smaller sized port. The sending unit does not have the same resistance. No one can help.

I'm thinking of taking a meter and measuring the resistance of the 2 different sending units. I believe the original one has more resistance than the newer one. If I subtract the difference, I should be able to go to Radio Shack and get a resistor or 2. Solder them in series with the sending unit and presto. It should work.

ummm...I decided to sell my car though, so not sure if I will be doing much more work on it. (Can still offer advice) ;)

The new one I have has a higher resistance of almost 3 ohms. I measured my original one and came up with 2.45 ohms. So, I am left with trying to find something close that is 3/8's or using an adapter to use the original one which would put it to close to the headers and throw the temp off anyway.

The biggest problem I found was finding a sender with the correct resistance at normal engine running temperature and above.. I will go to Pronto sometime today and see if they can look up the sender I used and get you guys the part number. Do you need a 3/8 nipple or 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch threads ?

I don't remember, but I think mine was 3/8". If they have the book open, jot down the part numbers for each size. (if the info is there) I wouldn't mind having this fixed before I sell the car.

I measured a GM temp sender once upon a time...I will see if I still have that data somewhere and post it.

The sender sitting a little closer to the header shouldn't bother the temperature reading...the actual sensor is way in the other end of the unit. Now the wire/connector to it might be a different story!

I had the same problem with a set of Edelbrock heads...just got a fitting adapter, no problem.

Just adding a resistor won't work...since these senders are NTC thermistors and have a non-linear response. You might correct for it at some point in the response curve...but the "error" will increase as the temperature moves away from that point.

Bill

Sorry guys .. I checked Pronto yesterday and they no longer have the book we used a few years back that lists the resistance values of the temperature senders... Stupid computers replaced almost every typed page they had and this table was not included. I don't know how to help you now.. good luck.

I ordered and installed this Temperature Sender: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SMP%2DTS76&N=700+4294908216+4294840140+115&autoview=sku

It was installed during my 79 Top-End Build Project. It is definitely reporting an incorrect temperature. Can anyone suggest or provide a different Temperature Sender for a 79 Vette that will be installed in AFR Cylinder Heads. Here is a link to the project if you have not seen it already: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103334

wondering if my fluctuating temps are from the wiring or the sender.. mmm

Since I know the ohm rating of the original sender, my plan is to locate any sender that is 3/8's with the same rating locally and see if that will work.

Try this guy, he might be able to help. But you should be able to get it to fit with a brass reducing bushing.
I'm sure you know not to put teflon tape or pipe sealant on the threads because the case is an electrical ground.

http://www.corvetteclocks.com/page12.html

Thanks Bill. A coupler or brass reducing fitting is not possible due to my headers. I sent an email to the site you mentioned requesting some assistance.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom