Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Loose Glass in Rear View Mirror

4WDVETTE

Corvette
1966 Coupe
I had a buzzing rattle that was driving me crazy. I figured the side pipes must have made something loosen up. I finally figured out that the glass in the rear view mirror was vibrating at certain RPM ranges. Any body have a good fix? I hate to try to pinch the metal tighter for fear of breaking the glass. Maybe some clear silicone around the edge? Give me your thoughts.

Steve

I'll assume you're talking about the outside rear view mirror on your '66, and that it's an original type mirror. If so, the glass is held in position by an internal expansion ring that you'll see upon close examination. Don't try and crimp the metal tighter, you'll only crack the glass, or worse.

Once the ring is removed, the glass can be removed also. The glass is supposed to be held tightly against the ring by one or more small springs inside the mirror (sorry, it's been a while and I don't remember just how many, though I believe three). It's likely one or more of these is gone, replace them and you should cure your problem the proper way.

:beer

Ron - thnks for the reply. I always refer to that outside mirror as the side view mirror - my mistake. The mirror I am talking about is the one mounted inside the car between the sun visors. You know the one that gives me such a panoramatic view out the rear window of my coupe! Yeah right. Anyway the glass vibrates at certain RPM levels and drives me crazy.

Steve

Thanks for the clarification. In that case, I'd use superglue, much less obtrusive when applied than silicone, and I believe it'll hold it firmly in position if you run a bead around the outer edge. Probably would help to have the mirror off and lying flat to assist in penetration and sealing as well.

:beer

If it is a reproduction mirror, I had the same problem. Vibrated so much at freeway speed could not see back.

Tried glue in edge, no good. Tried jamming clear plastic strips between glass and edge so it did not show, worked for about a month then slipped all the way in.

Finally got frustrated and figured I hate the mirror anyways. Put in in my hands and squeezed top and bottom as hard as I could and it actually worked!! Seemed to bend the metal case just enough to tighten the glass without breaking.

Clear silicone pushed in around mirror glass, wipe off excess, wait 6 hours. No more rattle.

Guys - thanks for the suggestions. It is a reproduction. I will try the squeeze method first. I can take out some frustration on it and then if not successful, move on to plan B.

Steve

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom