Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Loose (steering) Wheel - NOT the nut behind it

VetteLuv

Corvette
1992 Polo Green Coupe
After avoiding this issue for 2 years it is time to repair/replace the tilt steering column in my '92. The previous owner had reefed on the steering wheel to the extent that the right pivot hole is worn out to the point that "it can't be repaired" (my local dealer) and thus the right pin isn't doing anything. Visions of the left pin deciding to fail (and according to Murphy's Law of course) and blessing me with a totally disconected steering wheel have haunted me long enough. ;help

I vaguely remember someone having the same or similar problem and they discovered an individual or business that actually does a replace/repair on these C4 steering columns. A web search (here and Google) hasn't provided any help. Does anyone know of this vendor? If not, does anyone happen to know of a way to repair this - or does anyone happen to have a steering column laying around they would be willing to sell?

Thanks for any & all help.
Bruce
12 degrees and up to "there" in snow......:cry

loose steering column

I've successfully tightened a couple of these; but not on my Corvette.
If it's truly a parts must, try Contemporary Corvette (a reliable salvage yard).

jmccloud, thanks for the source name.
I was told that the pot-metal housing was warn so oversized that a whole new column was probably the only fix - but at over $1k for a used one I was hoping for another option......

jmccloud, thanks for the source name.
I was told that the pot-metal housing was warn so oversized that a whole new column was probably the only fix - but at over $1k for a used one I was hoping for another option......

I replaced mine (an 87) last year with a used column from Corvette Salvage in Mississippi. If I recall, it cost me about $250 or $300 for a good column. Sorry, I don't remember the exact amount.

It wasn't a difficult job.

http://www.corvettesalvage.com

Thanks Jeb for the info.
Last night I checked Contemporary Corvette that was suggested by jmmcloud and they had one in stock (!!) for $350 and they are almost close enough for me to go pick it up. Hopefully things will be quiet enough that I can give them a call tomorrow. My (used-to-be Mr. Goodwrench) brother has agreed to swap it out for me in exchange for help with the interior of the '64 roadster he's trying to finish (frame-off restoration).
Thanks guys for the info.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom