Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

lost documents

pbrehm

Corvette
1981 black coupe
I recently purchased a '69 coupe that included original documents(window sticker,buildsheet,sales receipts,etc.).When car arrived all paperwork was missing.Am trying to recover some of my purchase price.Does anyone have any idea what the value or dollar amount for these papers would be?

Oooof. Sorry to hear about that. :(

That's a tough thing to put a number on.

It also depends on the car itself.

If the car is an NCRS top-flight type vehicle then the original docs make it that much more valuable than if it's a NOM driver with a variety of mods.

For the former I could see the docs being worth thousands, for the latter they'd probably be a few hundred at best and, to some people, they'd have no real value at all.

You'll have to do some research to price cars as close to yours as possible but without docs to see what the variance is. . . and collect some more opinions as well! :)

Check with some of the "big name" classic corvette dealers like Corvette Mike and ProTeam to see what their expert opinions are.

It would seem to me that the value of the documentation is related to the value of the car because of its rarity, desirable options, mileage and previous owners. So I guess it depends just what the documentation has to 'prove'. Some cars speak for themselves and other cars scream for documentation in order to be taken seriously.
For my 71 coupe 350/270 ( I'm the original owner)....$2500.
For a L-88 or ZL-1 (I just wish I was the owner)....$250000.
Everyone will have a different figure in mind for every car.
Regards,
Alan

I agree with Alan 71. Can you give us an idea of what kind of options are on the car that you were relying on the documentation to support. If it is a highly optioned or desireable car the papers could be quite valuable. Is the car all there? Is it completely restored? Is it a basket case?

Documents:
What happened to them? Lost in transit? Never sent? Never existed? The answer to these questions may also help to determine who is at fault and what their liability is.

I agree with Mike. The documents are like having the birth certificate of your car. Considering how rare it is to actually have them prior to 1981 makes them more invaluable. Factual evidence on how your vette left the factory, where it was built and where it was shipped.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom