Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Me No Sweat No More.. Bought Me A New A/C System ..This is the Best one I Have Seen.

Is this one of those I need extra pulleys and can't remove my battery on the passenger side conversions? And move alternator to driver's side. And move battery to driver's side as well just to avoid plumbing interference. Then need new drive belts. Basic kit $1,200US. Plus labour. Finished product >$3,000US. Just curious.

Is this one of those I need extra pulleys and can't remove my battery on the passenger side conversions? And move alternator to driver's side. And move battery to driver's side as well just to avoid plumbing interference. Then need new drive belts. Basic kit $1,200US. Plus labour. Finished product >$3,000US. Just curious.

A bit cold and snowy in Ottawa, is it Paul? :rotfl

PHP:

Excellent Paul...:beer

Exactly the kind of questions I'd ask. Well as far as my Vette goes.. The Alternator is on the drivers side. My battery is on the passenger side...neither have to move. I would assume that if your alternator is on the passenger side it'll have to move over to the driverside. Every thing else seems straight ahead.

No big deal...just a bracket change out and some minor additional wiring. Hot Rod Air works with March Pulley Co. So ..I'm sure if you call David ..(the owner) he can steer you straight. He kind of reminds me of "Tom DeWitt ..very helpful and concerened that his product is correct for your application.

His unit does not hang down below the dash as the other units do...the only thing you lose is a few inch's of depth in the glove box. But..he's got that covered.
He supplies you with a new glove box liner. Slightly smaller in depth but worth not having your heater assembly hanging down like the other units.

In fact ..I bought extra stuff for the system that I might not engineer into the install ..but to have just incase I wanted to change or add here and their.
David told me that he will except anything back that I don't use and issue a full creit for that item.

That's my kind of Company..seems very willing to work with you. If you are considering A/C .. Give him a call and just ..BS with him about your concerens..

All you got to lose is those sweat dropletts in the summer...:D

A bit cold and snowy in Ottawa, is it Paul? :rotfl

Heh.. tough crowd...Thank you...I'll be here all week ... Try the Chicken dinner and don't forget your bar tenders and your waitress's... Thank You..Good Night.. ;LOL

I use a cheap block and tackle above the rear of the hood to remove/install it by myself. With a rope from it to each hood latch bayonet and the hood up, I tie it off.

Then I remove the hood hinge bolts, lift the front of the hood, walk to the side of the car with the rope and lower the hood to the floor (actually to the top of my boots). I done it dozens of times over the years. No problems.

Nice idea There Magic..I think I'll check out ACE Hradware this week end

:beer

Yes, a lot of blowing snow and the windchill is -31F. I'm cranky.

VNV, I look forward to pics and descriptions of the work as it proceeds. My alternator is on the driver's side and battery on the passenger. I have toyed with the idea of A/C for a couple of years but the various kits all seemed to be less than drop in: bend this, modify that, etc. Perhaps this is the one that will truly work without major surgery.

engine06007B.jpg

Here is the reinforcement piece for the chrome insert, attachment studs shown. The hood is Eckler's I believe (bought it second-hand) and is hand-laid.

hood.jpg

Mark,

I don't want to rain on your parade, since you seem convinced that the kit you bought is the ultimate C2 AC system, but I have a slightly different outlook on the subject of air conditioning conversions.

I have had the pleasure ( yeah, tell me about it ) of installing more then a dozen AC systems from most of the major suppliers, and the very best I have seen as yet, is the conversion kit from " Classic Air ". I must admit however in all fairness, that the offering from " Hot Rod Air " was never an option in my shop since it's a generic, " do it yourself kit " that would be at home in a Ford, Chrysler, or any other type of vehicle for that matter.

As for your positive comments regarding the ease of installation, I must say that being well aware of your many talents as a builder, once you put your mind to it, you could install one of these kits in any vehicle you chose to. However in as much as an AC conversion is an enormous task for the uninitiated, I have a tendency to go the route that will be the easiest for the basic hobbyist to do him, or herself with out professionel help. ShÎt, is that politically correct or what!

Don't get me wrong , the " Sure Fit " and "Perfect Fit " that we often hear is sometimes a stretch of the imagination, but all in all, this kit as proven many times in the past, to be the most user friendly.

In closing, I am well aware that we can't all see things with the same eyes, but my comments are to bring attention to the the ease of installation, and the additional space ( as if we had any to spare ) that these " Classic " kits afford us compared to many others.

Lastly, the fact that I have now become a factory authorized " Classic Air " dealer, has nothing to do with my above statements. ;)

Keep well my friend :beer and drive safe

Stepinwolf

Does anyone have an engine compartment pic where one of these aftermarket units has been installed? I am trying to see how "aftermarket" it looks in terms of pulleys, belts, hoses, and compressor.

Mark,

I don't want to rain on your parade, since you seem convinced that the kit you bought is the ultimate C2 AC system, but I have a slightly different outlook on the subject of air conditioning conversions.

I have had the pleasure ( yeah, tell me about it ) of installing more then a dozen AC systems from most of the major suppliers, and the very best I have seen as yet, is the conversion kit from " Classic Air ". I must admit however in all fairness, that the offering from " Hot Rod Air " was never an option in my shop since it's a generic, " do it yourself kit " that would be at home in a Ford, Chrysler, or any other type of vehicle for that matter.

As for your positive comments regarding the ease of installation, I must say that being well aware of your many talents as a builder, once you put your mind to it, you could install one of these kits in any vehicle you chose to. However in as much as an AC conversion is an enormous task for the uninitiated, I have a tendency to go the route that will be the easiest for the basic hobbyist to do him, or herself with out professionel help. ShÎt, is that politically correct or what!

Don't get me wrong , the " Sure Fit " and "Perfect Fit " that we often hear is sometimes a stretch of the imagination, but all in all, this kit as proven many times in the past, to be the most user friendly.

In closing, I am well aware that we can't all see things with the same eyes, but my comments are to bring attention to the the ease of installation, and the additional space ( as if we had any to spare ) that these " Classic " kits afford us compared to many others.

Lastly, the fact that I have now become a factory authorized " Classic Air " dealer, has nothing to do with my above statements. ;)

Keep well my friend :beer and drive safe

Stepinwolf

Thanks Bob for your most excellent reply. Of course I will default to your experience with Vette A/C. You make some good points here. This is one of the reasons I have not installed A/C. I have looked at the PDF manuals on different mfg's web sites and not really liked what I saw.

If your speaking about " Classic Auto Air" I think then this is one vendor whos under dash unit I didn't like. It requiers drilling out a block off plate which sits over the old blower location and running your heater lines thru to the under dash unit location where hose clamps and short pieces of hose live. I'll try and post a pic here If I can. If it doesn't show go to there site and open up the install manual for the unit and look at the connections under the dash.

The Hot Rod Air System has it's own Heater core made to fit the exsisting fire wall holes. That appeals to me. I don't like the idea of having the heater core connections inside the car. That scares me...if a hose lets go, it's inside the car... you got some problems. Out side in the engine compartment is a different story.

There are many other items I covered about Hot Rod Air's Unit and equipmnet that I like. This kit is Made for a C-2 not just a generic Hot Rod. I'm impressed with the kit and the Company.

If your not speaking about this company..Link me to the one who you recommend. I trust and value your opinion and recomendations.

claca.bmp

clac2a.bmp

Thanks for taking the time to educate me.

Regards: Mark

Yes, a lot of blowing snow and the windchill is -31F. I'm cranky.

VNV, I look forward to pics and descriptions of the work as it proceeds. My alternator is on the driver's side and battery on the passenger. I have toyed with the idea of A/C for a couple of years but the various kits all seemed to be less than drop in: bend this, modify that, etc. Perhaps this is the one that will truly work without major surgery.

engine06007B.jpg

Well will see Paul. I heard from David at Hot Rod Air Last night. He said the Unit will ship this monday. That's a Holiday I'm sure he forgot and ment Tuesday. Anyway when it arrives at my house ...I'll lay it all out and shoot some pic's.
This way everyone including my self can see how it looks and will go from there.

:beer

I've seen the comments on installing aftermarket A/C systems. In my own experience (N=1), with #2 coming up in VNV's garage, I've never had a simpler time of installing a system.

I bought the VA "Sure Fit" (which it did) and against the advice at the time, I installed an R134a system. It has performed flawlessly with the only professional work required being the crimping of the hoses. Fired up the first time. Sanden (no bling) compressor. I've broken the seal ~ 3times and had no problems with re-charging.

I've complained historically about the POS micro switches that came with the system and I bypassed that completely with a hidden 3-way switch (and that was before I met VNV for advice!).

The AC usually runs on the lowest setting

In my N=1 experience, I don't see what all the fuss is about and I'm a decidedly middle of the road mechanic compared to many of you folks.

If your speaking about " Classic Auto Air" I think then this is one vendor whos under dash unit I didn't like. It requires drilling out a block off plate which sits over the old blower location and running your heater lines thru to the under dash unit location where hose clamps and short pieces of hose live. I'll try and post a pic here If I can. If it doesn't show go to there site and open up the install manual for the unit and look at the connections under the dash.

The Hot Rod Air System has it's own Heater core made to fit the existing fire wall holes. That appeals to me. I don't like the idea of having the heater core connections inside the car. That scares me...if a hose lets go, it's inside the car... you got some problems. Out side in the engine compartment is a different story.

There are many other items I covered about Hot Rod Air's Unit and equipment that I like. This kit is Made for a C-2 not just a generic Hot Rod. I'm impressed with the kit and the Company.

Thanks for taking the time to educate me.

Regards: Mark

Mark,

You are correct as far as the under dash heater hose connections go, since I am not impressed either. However in their defense ( the connections ) experience has shown me that in the past, there there has been more problems with the leaking of the brass heater core itself, then a deteriorating 6 inch heater hose. I sincerely think that once these two small hoses are correctly installed, neither of us will out live their useful life.

As for the installation of these hoses in the block off plate, during a new installation I generally use one of the aluminum adapter fitting from any of the after market Hot Rod resellers, as this pic shows.

acfitting.jpg

Another one of it's selling points, is the lack of any outside heater box. As you well know, this area of our mid-years can become more then a little crowded, and the additional space that the absence of this system affords us is , is very welcome.

None of the aftermarket systems I have installed, ( Texas Air, Vintage Air, Classic Air ) are perfect, but as for myself, I have tendency to choose the lesser of all evils.

I must also confess that I was not aware that Hot Rod Air, now manufactures model specific conversion kit for our mid-years. I had looked into their offerings quite a while back, and at that time there was no mention of a kit for our cars. I have since ordered one of their catalogs, and will look into it very carefully when it does arrive. Until then I will be following this thread, to see your photos, and follow the installation very carefully.

Until then, if there is anything I can help you with, just let me know.

Regards Bob
a.k.a. Stepinwolf

Watching the thread very intently. Thanks for all the ideas, comparisons, photos, etc. Thanks for starting it, Mark.

Please post everything you can, step-by-step. I might even take the jump myself. ;)

P.S. For those who have A/C in their midyear coupes..........do you still drive with the windows down on hot, sticky days? Is the system capable of providing enough cool air to allow for that on most days? I certainly don't want to be separated from my adoring fans in any way. :rotfl

Heh BoB& BoB...;LOL

I hear what you say about the heater core fear's. But a new heater core which I'm sure all of us have replaced as a mid year owners wll go another 30 years. The hose's...aaaaaaah....I ain't to sure about. Not being sure ..I feel better with them on the out side in the engine compartment as stated.

Any way .. I also am not all that hopped up about drilling out my control knobs to use the Classic Air Set Up as directed in there manual. The Hot Rod Air System use's it's own control set up. And you have the optipn of using there stand alone small undash control set up either with rotaing knobs ...or a slide lever assembly.

There are a ton of other options in regards to parts and accessories from brakets to thermostates to fan's to driers mounts.etc. That's why I like this company.You can engineer in what you want and don't want over the basic kit.

They also as stated make kits for the C-1 And C-3 as I have mentiond . These are made for Corvette.

Below is a Partial Pic of the main unit. Note*..It does Not Show the complete Kit. There are other interior parts and controls not shown. I'm posting it to give you an idea of design and quality of the unit.

vetac1.bmp

I'll keep you posted with pic's when the kit arrives next week.

Watching the thread very intently. Thanks for all the ideas, comparisons, photos, etc. Thanks for starting it, Mark.

Please post everything you can, step-by-step. I might even take the jump myself. ;)

P.S. For those who have A/C in their midyear coupes..........do you still drive with the windows down on hot, sticky days? Is the system capable of providing enough cool air to allow for that on most days? I certainly don't want to be separated from my adoring fans in any way. :rotfl
I had my system gone over to make it as good as it can get. Had it switches to R134. I'm not happy. Sounds like the fan is blowing hard but not enough cold air comes out to keep the car comfortable. So I prefer to just keep the windows down. I have thought about going with Classic air; but I will be watching this thread.

I've seen the comments on installing aftermarket A/C systems. In my own experience (N=1), with #2 coming up in VNV's garage, I've never had a simpler time of installing a system.

I bought the VA "Sure Fit" (which it did) and against the advice at the time, I installed an R134a system. It has performed flawlessly with the only professional work required being the crimping of the hoses. Fired up the first time. Sanden (no bling) compressor. I've broken the seal ~ 3times and had no problems with re-charging.

I've complained historically about the POS micro switches that came with the system and I bypassed that completely with a hidden 3-way switch (and that was before I met VNV for advice!).

The AC usually runs on the lowest setting

"In my N=1 experience, I don't see what all the fuss is about and I'm a decidedly middle of the road mechanic compared to many of you folks.

If your enjoying your system and your happy ...that's all that matters. As time goes on things get better. What once was the "Cat's Meow" is now 2nd fiddle. This is not ment to say your system is poop but to say ..things improve ..Get Better.. and down the road some body comes up with a better idea or way of doing a thang.

Not crawling under the dash to hook up heater lines or not having to drill out control knobs just makes for a better faster cleaner instal. It's not a question of What's all the Fuss":cool

Tant no fuss...:D ...It called...Less Underdash Hang Time....;LOL

I had my system gone over to make it as good as it can get. Had it switches to R134. I'm not happy. Sounds like the fan is blowing hard but not enough cold air comes out to keep the car comfortable. So I prefer to just keep the windows down. I have thought about going with Classic air; but I will be watching this thread.

Who's A/C system Kit is it.??

Bob,

Once you get AC in your the car, there is no way in héll you will cruise around with your windows down on a hot , :mad stickey day, any more then you would with your SUV. As for the efficiency of most units, I have not as yet been able ( except once ) to keep the fan and temp on maximum cold.

One of the dumb-ass things I've seen, is with the cold air ducts on most of the " Vintage Air " systems. Like most units, there are two cold air vents that exit the center console area, thought both radio side panels. With the Vintage units, these small vents are in a fixed position ( no adjustment possible ) and as luck would have it, both sides blast the cold air right between the seats, into the rear storage space.

The only benefit to this is keeping the beer cold, but as a consequence, there is much less cold air for the front compartment where we spend most of our time.

In my roadster I keep a two , small cardboard panels close at hand, and for any extended trip, I squeeze them between the front seat and the console, there by directing all the cold air to the front of the car.

Lastely, in any aftermarket AC system, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND the use of an additionnel, electric fan, to help in keeping everything cool. I have never been able to get decent cooling using the AC with only the engine fan running, since even with the factory shrould, a lot of air is drawn from each side and does not pass through the condenser

regards
Bob

If your enjoying your system and your happy ...that's all that matters. As time goes on things get better. What once was the "Cat's Meow" is now 2nd fiddle. This is not ment to say your system is poop but to say ..things improve ..Get Better.. and down the road some body comes up with a better idea or way of doing a thang.

Not crawling under the dash to hook up heater lines or not having to drill out control knobs just makes for a better faster cleaner instal. It's not a question of What's all the Fuss":cool

Tant no fuss...:D ...It called...Less Underdash Hang Time....;LOL

As Mark says, " taint no fuss, nor any tit for tat," it's called exchanging ideas. In regards to the heater control mods, I have done both, and although it looks intimidating, it's a rather easy fix, and once completed, nothing is noticeable, nor obtrusive.

For Thorin,

I have noticed that most of the time, when people complain about the lack of sufficient cooling, 90 % of the time it's either low fluid, or not enough air circulating through the condenser. Once a system is properly installed, every cubic inch of air entering the frontal area, must first pass through the condenser, and then the radiator. I have seen installations ( won't mention who :chuckle ) where by I could get my hand in between the radiator, and the condenser. Not much efficiency there, :ugh nor cooling for that matter

Stepinwolf

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom