Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Mini-ram

maxrevs85 said:

It dynoed at 540ftlb. @ 5400 ....634 Hp @7000

The cost WAS 15k.........Must sell ,not racing . asking $8500 it was built by highly reputable race engine shop.
If you know of any one looking for a piece like this ,let me know.

I think I just wet my pants. If my portfolio was doing better, you'd have a home for it...
[RICHR]

Edmond - the miniram is probably the best way to go at present for a high performance street/strip motor but the bottom line always depends on what YOU want the car to do. Maxrevs race engine is a monster and is well suited to the quarter mile. But probably not day to day streetable running up and down 159th street. A 383+ is the way to go for torque. Personally the 350 has enough torque for a manual trans with the right rearend but mine needs deeper gears than the factory stock 3.33 set up.
You have to come out and give mine a drive and get a feel. I set mine up for a balanced street motor but due to circumstances am currently making due with the stock ZZ4 heads (113 castings). Once I get the chip tuned right and a 3.73/4.09 rear then I will see whether the heads are the next bump up. I hope to get a dyno run in this year to see where I hit as each engine setup is different. The only caution I have on the crate engines are make sure of the parts you are really getting. I bought a hardly used ZZ4 with the forged crank but I understand they are back to nodular currently which is OK with the piston rod combo they use but I would not pump the motor beyond 450 HP. You want more you build it yourself. In fact I have the motor out of my 89 without the injectors which I might be willing to part with. It only has 11,000 miles on it.

Phil (aka 89ZZ4)

Phil, actually the motor thats in my vette , not the rac e motor described above, is very good in the slow moving traffic confines of the city and every day driving . The cam profile was chose to work with the head intake combo and stock 307 gear . Amazingly it is very docile and runs cool. With the the extra cubes in doesnt take much throttle to make her pull strong and with out lots of rpm. Between 2500 and 4500 its very strong. I do think it would work good on the strip too. I built it to drive anywhere anytime. I do like to cruise ,and the WOT runs are few. Now that i know what it is capable of doing, I dont need to test it. I'm saving it for them pesky ricers and so called bada** stangs. :L I will say one thing though , when you get down to about 1500 rpm you have to downshift or she will chug a little. The ole cam starts to come in to play . Sounds cool though.:cool

Choosing the 383 is actually free power. If your going to do a rebuild and the crank needs to be ground,I would just go new crank and rods. Its also the time to do the stroke if ya wanna...hardly any difference in price between new and magnuflux and reground and polish. Personnaly i dont like undersized cranks......(just like one of my old girlfriends)whoops that just slipped out .:duh

89ZZ4 said:
Edmond - the miniram is probably the best way to go at present for a high performance street/strip motor but the bottom line always depends on what YOU want the car to do. Maxrevs race engine is a monster and is well suited to the quarter mile. But probably not day to day streetable running up and down 159th street. A 383+ is the way to go for torque. Personally the 350 has enough torque for a manual trans with the right rearend but mine needs deeper gears than the factory stock 3.33 set up.
You have to come out and give mine a drive and get a feel. I set mine up for a balanced street motor but due to circumstances am currently making due with the stock ZZ4 heads (113 castings). Once I get the chip tuned right and a 3.73/4.09 rear then I will see whether the heads are the next bump up. I hope to get a dyno run in this year to see where I hit as each engine setup is different. The only caution I have on the crate engines are make sure of the parts you are really getting. I bought a hardly used ZZ4 with the forged crank but I understand they are back to nodular currently which is OK with the piston rod combo they use but I would not pump the motor beyond 450 HP. You want more you build it yourself. In fact I have the motor out of my 89 without the injectors which I might be willing to part with. It only has 11,000 miles on it.

Phil (aka 89ZZ4)

Yeah, I have ridden in Phil's car. It pulls good, but the PROM needs some tuning :D

Phil has also ridden in my 89 miniram'ed 350. I have the ZZ9 to his ZZ409, and I also have CNC L98 heads. I think I am on my 2nd or 3rd PROM since he rode in it last. I swear it feels like I have the right tune in the car now

-=Jeff=- said:

Yeah, I have ridden in Phil's car. It pulls good, but the PROM needs some tuning :D

Phil has also ridden in my 89 miniram'ed 350. I have the ZZ9 to his ZZ409, and I also have CNC L98 heads. I think I am on my 2nd or 3rd PROM since he rode in it last. I swear it feels like I have the right tune in the car now

Jeff, that is cool. So you are there, or close to it.

I wonder how close our cars are now? Maybe your prom is the ticket. I will be searching for one soon as well as changing the injectors. I have not convinced myself that I have one that may be on the fritz as of the last time I drove it.

89ZZ4 said:
running up and down 159th street.
Phil (aka 89ZZ4)

Phil,

You read my mind, LOL. But there are a lot of F-bodies, ricers and an occasional C5 running down 159th in Orland.

Thanks

:) for the compliments on my engine. I'll try to find out, for Larry, about the steam ports. I heard the 406 (.030 over bore) had 'issues' by not the details.

It always comes down the the PROM on these ECM engines. The whole success of the project rides on it and can it ever get pricey! :blow

If I had it to do over again, :hb I'd use DFI, though not smog legal due to the adjustability. I'd get the smartest one I could; one that would allow me to set the air:fuel ratio; then let the box figure things out based upon the sensors. Maybe that hopes for too much, but until enough someones can work out the PROMs, to allow our engines to reach their full and true potential, why do it? The only other alternative is carbs or a total engine package. :SANTA

I followed the formula of another Corvette nut here, as closely as I could. :BOW His chip did not work well in my car. Each engine is different and must be custom PROMed. At least my chip is close now.

I have no problem running a smog legal car. Actually, I prefer it. I believe that I can get the performance I desire and be environmentally responsible.

My '84 RIPS! :_rock The details remain, but the list is shrinking.

View of my car from ANY 'stang>> :booty

WhalePirot,

Passing the gas test is a necessity over here in IL and it's even stricter in CA. If you don't pass it over here, they won't sell you one of those little registration stickers that you stick on your rear plate.

I'd just like everyone to know that this is a project that I plan on undertaking next year. But I also know that such a project takes months, if not years of planning and then more years of putting the car together like you desire it to be.

Thanks!

Whalepirot,

I do my own PROM tuning. cost me about $200 for PROM Burning gear and then another $300 for my EASE software. TPiS Charges $500 for one PROM. I figure I am saving a bunch of money, since I can change the tuning at will and the EASE Diagnostic Software is dual purpose not only for tuning the car but for troubleshooting as well. 89ZZ4 has one of my PROM Creations in his car, when I installed it my Diag. software was having troubles so I could not scan his car.. fixed that now!

Bullwinkle,
There is a way to bypass emissions.. but it depends on your insurance..

I have a waiver for my 89.. so I don't have to test for emissions.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom