Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Modifications

To what extent will you/do you modify your Shark?

• None (stock, #s matching)

Votes: 46 17.5%
  • Appearance (paint, wheels, etc.)

Votes: 22 8.4%
  • Mild performance (add-ons, under 100 hp gain)

Votes: 68 25.9%
  • Average performance (high performance components: engine, tranny, etc.)

Votes: 84 31.9%
  • Nothing is stock

Votes: 43 16.3%

• Total voters
I am thinking about an RPM airgap but am told (by Summit and Edelbrock) it won't fit under my '73 hood. Is your hood height that different or did you do some modification to make it fit?
I have an Elderbrock rpm air gap on my '68, but it has a L-88 hood and with the air cleaner installed it just fits, slightly touching the hood.

I have an Elderbrock rpm air gap on my '68, but it has a L-88 hood and with the air cleaner installed it just fits, slightly touching the hood.

Flatout, thanks for the info. The L88 is a tall hood and I am sticking with my stock hood so I am still at the drawing board. I already have a drop down filter base and will look at a K&N Xtreme filter which will give me more air flow but i think I still need to take off the stock intake and measure the height. What air filter set up do you have?

Flatout, thanks for the info. The L88 is a tall hood and I am sticking with my stock hood so I am still at the drawing board. I already have a drop down filter base and will look at a K&N Xtreme filter which will give me more air flow but i think I still need to take off the stock intake and measure the height. What air filter set up do you have?
Herminator, I also have a K&N filter with a K&N filter for the lid. You might be able to use a Performer rpm, just not the air gap. On elderbrocks web site they give the mesurements for all their manifolds which really is a great help.

Herminator, I have a '74 with the stock hood and I was only able to fit the Performer intake under my hood. That's using a 3" tall x 14" diameter K & N filter, K & N Filter Lid, a drop-style air cleaner base and the factory Quadra-jet. My hood appears to be a bit taller than the stock '80-'82, by perhaps an inch or so. I don't think I could use a Holly carb, as the drop base wouldn't work with it, and the lid now just touches the underside of the hood. I even had to trim the hold down stud for the lid so the nut wouldn't hit. Perhaps the Performer Air gap would fit if you had a similar setup, but used a shorter air cleaner element. Another thought is you could find a competent fiberglass body shop that could section the hood bulge, and extend it a bit to give you more clearance. Done right, the average person wouldn't notice it's not quite stock. Hope this helps!

One Toy - One Daily Driver

The 1982 daily driver looks great and drives even better - it will be awhile before I think about altering "Ruby" (Candy Red),

But the 1980 - this is a different story. So far the plans include a LS 7/T56 setup with rear mounted dual turbos (600HP+) - I'm expecting 12's in the Quarter. The question is stay with IR suspension or tub it with a 4-link system and amazingly large meats on the back, while keeping the same profile. Then if the money holds out - turn it into a convertible.

So if you know of any good custom suppliers - send the names to me. Otherwise I'll have to fab this stuff all myself, taking much longer then I have patience. The tuners really need to be shut down. If you know what I mean! :L

finally done

Herminator, I have a '74 with the stock hood and I was only able to fit the Performer intake under my hood. That's using a 3" tall x 14" diameter K & N filter, K & N Filter Lid, a drop-style air cleaner base and the factory Quadra-jet. My hood appears to be a bit taller than the stock '80-'82, by perhaps an inch or so. I don't think I could use a Holly carb, as the drop base wouldn't work with it, and the lid now just touches the underside of the hood. I even had to trim the hold down stud for the lid so the nut wouldn't hit. Perhaps the Performer Air gap would fit if you had a similar setup, but used a shorter air cleaner element. Another thought is you could find a competent fiberglass body shop that could section the hood bulge, and extend it a bit to give you more clearance. Done right, the average person wouldn't notice it's not quite stock. Hope this helps!

Thanks to all who gave me the encouraging input. The RPM intake is in along with a Holly 3310. I am using the 7/8" K&N drop base (it has indentations to fit aound the Holly) and the K&N filter top. With a 3" element, it does not touch the hood but we know it's darn close! I tried to go with a 2' element but the filter top wouldn't seat over the choke butterfly. We removed the cowl air induction butterfly on the L-82 hood so that there is constant air flow to the filter top. We didn't remove the heads so we don't know what cam is in it but it thumps well. Records and physical evidence show the engine was decked, balanced and blueprinted and heads were resurfaced so maybe the cam was upgraded, just don't know. Anyway runs great and is fun so that will be all for now. Next year maybe new heads and further insight into the motor's history/equipment.

My 77 is anything but stock. Aftermarket TPI 383 stroker with Accel Thruster management system. Wideband O2.
700R-4 with JL Transmissions blow proof bellhousing and 3.70 rear gears. 18" x 8" front with 255/45-18" and 18" x 9 1/2" rear with 275/40-18". Front monoleaf with Bilstein sports and lightweight tubular control arms, upper and lower, Offset trailing arms and QA-1 double adjustable coilovers in the rear. Lowered 3", 3" stainless true duals with undercar chambered muflers and 4" turndown tips out back. Manual rack and pinion steering, elec. water pump. Alum radiator w/dual spals. L-88 hood. 2000 sport seats, B&M ratchet shifter, 1200 watt stereo with 7 speakers and I-pod. White gauges with LED lighting. Drilled and slotted rotors. You get the picture.

Who's vette is it anyway?

My belief is that I own the vette, so I'll decide what it looks like, works like, performs like, sounds like, etc. If that makes my car worth less, so be it, it'll just make the others worth more. Worshiping at the alter of pristine originality is mindless obedience to the investor class, not for me, life is just too short for that!

I chopped the top off my C4, and am presently installing a five speed in my C3. I've got a dozen ideas for other modifications, I'm just making plans at this point!

I think my first thing will be the fenderwell headers and sidepipes, and that will pretty well do it.

Oh yea.... i gott'a go on ebay and get a 'KMET' sticker fro the rear window. lol..... some of you will know what that is..

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom