Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My first questions

96Holly

Corvette
96 LT4 Polo Green Coupe
OK so here is goes, my first questions. Yes they might sound like a novice but here I am.... go easy on me...

1) Water pump: I want to replace, is there only one for the 96 LT1/LT4 engines right? (I know that the 'ZR-1' gets it's own)

2) Distributor: While I am there, would just a cap and roter or full replacement be in line? (I have had trouble with "check engine light on" when it rains.... I don't drive in the rain any more.... no more check eng. light)

3) K&N Air Filter: is this a simple throw in part or are there mods to the fuel managment system to be done?

4)Plugs and Wires: Any recomendations? (I see that the plugs are listed under another post so I will take that information. Thanks)

Any help would be of great assistance!!!

4) I have been trying to get a complete set of Bosch wires for a week now. I have ordered 2 boxes, both labeled "contains 9 wires" but neither one had a coil wire. So I would stay away from them.

Now I am going to have to order another, more expensive brand and do the awful job of changing wires again.

Moral: Count your wires BEFORE you start.

Thanks rcdk, I have ran into that problem with other vehicle projects to. Not fun to find out that the last "bolt" you need to finish is not in the box!! :mad

96 Holly

1. The water pump is the same for the LT1 / LT4
2. Replace the cap and rotor, short of replacing the unit itself thats all you need to do, the check engine light / rain issue can be caused by so many other possible things.
3. The K&N filter is a simple replacement for ther stock filter, some kits come with a thing called an "air foil" to fill in the hole in the center of the throttle body inlet. No other mods are needed, total time of 20 minutes at most.
4. Unless there are other mods to the engine, I would stay with the factory recomended plugs (heat range) and wires.

Good luck

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/c4s4ever/

4) Beware the OE GM platinum plugs. The Platinum Puck can fall off and score the cylinder. I just changed my plugs, and I was missing two pucks.

Thanks

Thanks for the tips.

I have already orderded the K&N filter and water pump with new hoses and belt. I am still pricing out the cap and roter. The pump is build by GM B company (?) The price was lower than the mag's, they claim it is brand new. Well, live and learn.

I still am contimplating the plugs.

I also plan on cleaning out the rad. of all the grim that has collected since '96.

Re: Thanks

96Holly said:
Thanks for the tips.

I also plan on cleaning out the rad. of all the grim that has collected since '96.

That's actually a very important maintenance issue for all C4 owners (and possibly C5 owners although I'm not familiar with the radiator/under engine design on the C5).

The C4 is commonly referred to as a "bottom-feeder". It takes air in from under the front bumper where the air damn is. As a result, leaves and other road debris can quickly block the flow of air through the radiator and oil cooler (if so equipped), so it's important to get under there periodically and check to make sure that all air passages are clear of debris.

have seen the issue of grim build up in a number of places because of it being a "bottom feeder". I do know that I have to be very very careful not to bend or damage the fins. They are very fragle. I heard that ovan cleaner will help remove the more stuborn materials (road tar, etc.)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom