Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My new ride ...

vettedreamer

Hi, my name is Don and I have a serious Corvette addiction (LOL)!

I have owned a 1985 coupe, black w/ red interior and the Z51
suspension that could loosen dental work ...

Then I bought a 1994 in Polo Green w/ Tan interior (auto, bum knee..),
Well, recession blues hit and I had to sell, but was looking forward to getting another.

Last week that day came in the form of a sweet Machine silver C6 coupe
w/ebony interior. One thing I like about this model is the ease the the removable roof panel.

I do have a question for everyone, I live in an apartment building, and was considering doing my own Oil Changes. But a friend told me I would need a "Low" profile Jack? as well as other items.
So I'm wondering if the cost is worth doing, or should I just go to The Mr. Lube where they don't hoist the car? any thoughts.../
Thanks so much.
Don / Toronto. my C6.jpg

Nice Car....! They are very low and if you plan a DIY then you would be best off getting some ramps to safely pull it up on to get under it. I have a place in town where I pull on the front end rack and they let me change my own if I buy the oil there.....small town Nebraska....we can do stuff like that. If you do get it changed see if they will let you hang out and help......

Don, unless you are really "into" working on your own cars, changing the oil is one of the least satisfying jobs. Whether it's the low profile jack & safety stands or ramps, you end up buying something to get under the car. You pick up the oil and filter... do the job... then you have to deal with disposing of the old filter and used oil. If your time is worth anything (and mine certainly is) then changing your own oil costs you more than it is worth. Having your oil changed professionally is quicker, more convenient and less expensive... plus a good mechanic will take the opportunity to look around while doing the oil change and might find other items that need to be serviced.

-Mac

I'm with Mac on this one but in my case I have a lift and buy bulk, 10 minutes and I'm done. My neighbor uses my used oil in an oil burner in his shop so no problems there. Plus I do all my grand kids cars so it not like I save any time.

Plus when the dealer did the free oil changes when it was new I had to point out the grease zerks they missed.

Nothing beats a personal touch. ;)

If I had a lift, I might reconsider my position since that reduces the amount of time required dramatically. Even if I didn't have a neighbour to deal with the used oil... :D

-Mac

I like doing everthing I can including oil changes .I lay on the creeper and bond with the under slide and see whats going on .I also sneak a little nap :D

I agree with Mac, I usually have all my cars serviced including oil changes by my mechanic. I have a lift as well and by the time I
move the cars in the driveway, take the GS off the lift, put the other car on the lift, I am already sweating profusely, and I still have to
go buy the oil and filter. Just not worth it to me.

Interesting.

I never have to go buy oil, when I do a change it gives me time to replace it while I buying/doing something else. I'd never drive to a dealer 20 miles just to show them the car has zerks he missed more than once.

We all do what we feel comfortable with and I feel that comfort when I knoiw I checked my car out while doing service on it.

I used to do all my own oil changes until we ran out of garage space. Half holds wife's stuff and other my 74 garage queen. So either I attempt oil changes on a ramped short drive way or I get it done. Well used to go to Jiffy Lube for years until one day my C4 developed an oil leak after an oil change. Long story made short, they stripped the oil pan threads at the filler plug. They refused to acknowledge the damage and so I got it fixed with a slightly bigger plug by a trusted mechanic. For me, until I get more garage space, its trusted mechanic for now on. Pans or ruined engines aren't worth cheapo oil changes by unaccountable businesses and kid wrench monkeys.

Nice C6 Don. Just bought a "08" c6 myself.

Being from Canada, did your C4 have the auto headlamp door feature that only Canadian vettes had?

Don, unless you are really "into" working on your own cars, changing the oil is one of the least satisfying jobs. Whether it's the low profile jack & safety stands or ramps, you end up buying something to get under the car. You pick up the oil and filter... do the job... then you have to deal with disposing of the old filter and used oil. If your time is worth anything (and mine certainly is) then changing your own oil costs you more than it is worth. Having your oil changed professionally is quicker, more convenient and less expensive... plus a good mechanic will take the opportunity to look around while doing the oil change and might find other items that need to be serviced.

-Mac

Hi Mac;
After talking w/ a friend who does his own oil changes, I came to the conclusion that it's a lot less pain to go and get it done at say, Mr. Lube where there are no hoists. My concern was about having the car lifted, and possible damage to the panels etc.
Thanks for the advice.
Cheers,
Don / Toronto
Btw, How's Ottawa treating you ?

I used to do all my own oil changes until we ran out of garage space. Half holds wife's stuff and other my 74 garage queen. So either I attempt oil changes on a ramped short drive way or I get it done. Well used to go to Jiffy Lube for years until one day my C4 developed an oil leak after an oil change. Long story made short, they stripped the oil pan threads at the filler plug. They refused to acknowledge the damage and so I got it fixed with a slightly bigger plug by a trusted mechanic. For me, until I get more garage space, its trusted mechanic for now on. Pans or ruined engines aren't worth cheapo oil changes by unaccountable businesses and kid wrench monkeys.

Nice C6 Don. Just bought a "08" c6 myself.

Being from Canada, did your C4 have the auto headlamp door feature that only Canadian vettes had?

Hi; AV8R;
not sure what you mean about the "auto headlamp door feature" perhaps I never used it,
but it did have DRL's.

Some things I like over the C4 are;
1). the lower entry levels,
2). newer technology and,
3). easier targa top removal.

Hope you enjoy your '08 as much as I am enjoying my '05.:happyanim:
Cheers, ;)
Don /Toronto.

That's a nice car 'dreamer. I do my own changes, but I have a bit of an advantage.....

With a four post lift you don't worry about panel damage....unless you drive off of it. :L

If you have the changes done DON'T let the cheapy oil change places do it. Take it to a reliable shop.

Hi Mac;
After talking w/ a friend who does his own oil changes, I came to the conclusion that it's a lot less pain to go and get it done at say, Mr. Lube where there are no hoists. My concern was about having the car lifted, and possible damage to the panels etc.
Thanks for the advice.
Cheers,
Don / Toronto
Btw, How's Ottawa treating you ?
Statistically tiny chance of issues on a hoist. I would be more worried about what kind of oil they're using than the hoist but that's just me.

Ottawa is very much the bureaucratic town. Too much hot & humid air! I'm getting close to early retirement age and considering my options... maybe head east where land/houses are cheaper. One lump at a time... I still have two kids in post secondary.

-Mac

Race Ramps - the 2-piece versions with the extenders. See Car Ramps | Trailer Ramps | Display Ramps
Assuming you have a place to store them when not in use.

I have the older single piece versions and I put a couple of 1x4 boards between them and the Vette to get the nose up to keep from scraping the splitter and/air dams.

Plus, you'll need an oil catch pan, plug and filter wrenches, paper towels and "speedy-dry" to clean up any mess, etc., etc.

I have a garage and a store shed and a tool box and all the other stuff I need to change my own oil and I like doing it. I know I'm getting the oil and filter I want and I get to look around under the car and check things over. While under there, I clean out the radiator inlet of bugs, bags and other junk.

Jiffy Lube is easier and quicker but I never use them.

I do let the Cadillac dealer change the oil on my CTS V as it is part of the service provided with some new Caddy purchases.

We get the daily drivers done at the dealership where my wife works. The Corvettes and my custom stepside get done at home mostly because I din't trust anyone touching them. A four post lift is in my future.

Tom,

How tall is your ceiling and what lift is that? Did you have to raise your door racks and opener?

Tom

We get the daily drivers done at the dealership where my wife works. The Corvettes and my custom stepside get done at home mostly because I din't trust anyone touching them. A four post lift is in my future.

Tom,

How tall is your ceiling and what lift is that? Did you have to raise your door racks and opener?

Tom

Tom, My ceilings are 10'1" at the front up to 10'3" at the door. I can lift the Corvette all the way up and still have 2-3" of room to spare. It is a direct lift from Greg Smith Equipment in Indianapolis.

This is the 8 plus mine is the 8S The plus is extra long and extra tall. They've gone up in price since I bought mine.

Direct Lift Pro Park 8 PLUS (EXTRA TALL, EXTRA LONG)

Yes we had to modify the door to make it work.

1. I added a "dummy panel" to the top of the door.
2. We extended the tracks an extra 16" (the height of the dummy panel)
3. I put new springs on to accommodate the taller door
4. No modifications had to be done to the opener, other than moving it up to the correct height.
Dummy panel in place

Clearance from door to car. Varies depending on how far I back it on the lift. You can also see the clearance from the top of the car to the ceiling.

Looks closer than it actually is.

Here's the door modified and opened.

This is what I had before door modifications

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom