Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need some advice on a 1990

L

lonegunman

Well, the 88 didn't pan out. I did look at a very nice 1990 convertible. It has a beautiful body, new top with liner, car drives great and the steering is very tight. The only flaws are couple of separated seams on the leather seats, someone installed a CD player and didn't get part of the dash back in place good. I don't think this is a problem. It has 97,000 miles, power seats, and electronic air conditioning. I am confused on one point, and this is where I am hoping you guys can help me. On the console, it has a switch that you use a key to change like is on the ZR1s. It goes from normal to full power. I did not drive it on full power, but when you put in the key and switch to full the key won't come out. I cannot find a listing for this option on anything but the ZR1. Can anyone shed some light on this? Also, the car will cost $11,500. Any thoughts on this? As always, everyone's input is very appreciated. Also, the car had been sitting in an enclosed garage for a few days and there was no wet spots underneath. Also, one more question. I ran a carfax check on it. The history of the car did not show up until 1992 at 45,000 miles. Any thoughts on this?

Hmmmmmmm

I would be cautious!

Start looking CLOSE!

What engine does it have?

Vig!

Ok sooooooooo.

Start looking EVERYWHERE.......

get the car in the air... have it inspected....

Vig!

I understood

I make that mistake ALL the time!

Vig!

The valet key switch was part of the RPO ZR1. The key controls the secondaries on the ZR-1's LT5 engine - hence the Full and Normal designation.

That panel is not original to the car and I don't understand why someone would install something like that unless the engine is modified and the key controls something else.....either a kill switch or NOS or something like that. Where was the owner to explain what that was for?

So other than that....

90 was a one of a kind year

The first year of the ECM under the hood

Only year to use the Seiman's air bag controller

Still has round taillights
( I prefer the 92-96 look)

1st year of the back to analog ( most of the time) dash....

I like the interior better LOOKS wise

But all & all a good car......

Vig!

The owner of the car had never used the switch. The car was only driven by his wife. When they bought the car, it was in normal position and they never moved it. While I was checking the car out, I put in the key and turned the switch to full. The light came on and said full power. If someone replaced the panel with a non-original would they have hooked up the light? It appears that the switch is hooked to something. I am quite confused on this. Also, a question on the title. Carfax says that everything is clean, but the fact that the car doesn't show up until 1992 with 46,000 miles. Could a dealer have been driving it that long? All in all, it is a super car, but I want to be very sure before I purchase. These two things are bugging me.

I suppose it's possible that someone could have gone through the trouble of wiring up the full power light, but for what purpose? That's what confuses me.

I don't know....I'd have to see the car in person, but I would be careful here....that's my opinion based upon what you've described here.

Basically the 90 model year is unique because of the interior mostly as well as the wheels which were a '90 only design. In 1991, they changed the front and rear bumper style (brake light design) and incorporated body colored side molding instead of the black plastic molding on previous model years. This was also the first year for the saw tooth blade designed wheels.

Well that's odd

Unless.......

I have heard thru the grapevine... that a car get's toatled ...for whatever reason..in some states if you pass a re certification inspection.. the salvage title gets removed and POP up on the radar it shows as a clean car!

You might want to ask Chris ( 69 My Way ) about this....since he's in the insurance biz and all.

Vig!

Rob, when you turn your ZR1 switch to full will the key come out? Also does the FULL POWER light stay on?

Posting your E mail

Thought I would just e-mail you directly.
Hope this is okay. Sure it's fine

What are you mainly suspicious about? I trust NOTHING My boss comes from the Missouri school of thought...SHOW ME!

The carfax report or the full power switch?
NO

On one hand, the car is amazingly clean. I am trying to get in touch with the previous owner. He is a Corvette collector. I am hoping he can shed more light on it. Do you think $11,500 is a good price for a 90 convertible with 96,000 miles and an excellent body? I don't necessarily mean this car, but one that checks out okay all the way around. Thanks a lot, Keith

I think that's an OK price ..not a steal... not a rip... but it had better be KLEEN!

Vig!

According to Corvette car & parts mag

1990 Convert

Parts car
$4,500.00

Restorable
$11,000.00

Driver
$14,000.00

VERY GOOD
$18,000.00

So that all seems a bit high to me...but I'm cheap at heart.

Vig!

lonegunman said:
Rob, when you turn your ZR1 switch to full will the key come out? Also does the FULL POWER light stay on?

Yes, the key will not come out when it is in Full Power mode and the light stays on if the car is shut off and then turned back on. This did however change in later model years of the ZR-1 where, you would have to turn the key back to normal power and then full power if the car was shut off.

Did they at least let you take it around the block or let you ride shotgun around the block?

Edmond, I drove the car with the owner riding shorgun the then he let me and my wife take it out. It rode and drove very well.

Based upon gut reaction, I'd pass on this one. THE TWO ITEMS CAUSING YOU CONCERN SHOULD CAUSE YOU SOME CONCERN.

Too many clean ones out there to take a gamble on this one. Of course, this is only my .02 worth. Good luck no matter what you do.

Well keep this in mind

The car is a vibe thingIf your not happy NOW... and you find MORE bad stuff AFTER... you'll kick yourself.

Vig!

For the time being, I am going to pass on this car. I spoke with a gentlemen that has been in the used car business for many years. He did say that in his opinion if car fax report did not show anything bad, he felt it was alright. He said that it not showing up until it was 3 years old and 43,000 miles could have been from the fact that a dealer drove it and never titled it. But it showing up first at an auction, still gives me some concern. I did speak with the guy who the present owner bought it from. He could not give me much info on it. He only bought it for a cruise to Bowling Green and then sold it. He said he talked to a friend at the Corvette factory who told him that there was no way that the car left the factory with a ZR1 dash, but he personally believes that it did. But I am taking good advice and passing on it since I have some doubts. You guys are right, there are a lot of nice cars out there. I will bide my time and find one. Thanks a zillion.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom