Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Need the Article on C2 Door Pull Repairs

paul67

Corvette
1974 convertible
Someone published one but I can't find it. One of the magazines. My interior pulls do not work. I have all the restoration parts and a grey-hair at a local GM dealer who knows the skinny but I may have to twig his grey matter.

Paul,

Are you referring to the interior opening pull? I have the same kit, but haven't installed it yet. I've been too busy driving it to pull the door apart. ;)

I'll be watching for the article too.

Yes, the interior chrome knob door pull/opener. The spring on mine has gone bad and the knob just flops about. I have to roll down the window and push the exterior button to get out.

Door pull pic

Been a while since I had mine apart. Sorry for the small image but I think you can get the gist of it. The pull is held on by two large screws (circled). The spring wraps around the central stud and tucks under the tab at top and into the hole at the bottom. The cloth covered rod hooks up at the bottom and goes back to the latch mechanism. The door pull itself is a pretty simple affair.

DoorPull.jpg

Hope this helps.

DZ

This might help also:
http://69.253.166.197/page1/page65/files/Midyear Door Anatomy.pdf

Paul

On the '65 & '66 at least, the door pull link rod and the outside door button go thru a different linkage arrangement at the latch before eventually winding up at the same place. Wear at the latch mechanism can cause the inside pull not to move the latch linkage far enough to unlatch the door. I had this problem with mine, had to build up the wear points on the latch to correct the problem. You may want to take a look at this before finishing up your project. Sorry I don't have any pictures of the linkage mechanism I'm referring to on the latch, but if you watch it while operating both the outside button and the inside pull you'll be able to see what I'm referring to.

By the way, made the switch to the Edelbrock from the Holley as you discussed previously (your info provided in a previous post was greatly appreciated, made the job much easier). I couldn't be happier, starts, runs, doesn't leak, smooth idle, great performance. Should have junked the Holley long before I did. And it was a new Holley, correct reproduction for my '66, too. Go figure!!

Hope this is some help!!

Ron

Ron,
Thanks for the tip on the door latch. We shall see when the door panels come off. How did you build up the wear point?

Also, glad to read that the Edelbrock conversion worked for you. Mine is still performing flawlessly.

I remember snarfing this photo from somewhere about a year and a half ago and saved it - maybe it illustrates what Ron was talking about. :)

Thanks John. I'm not sure what I am looking at there but I may have to get off my butt and look at this repair myself before I start paying a GM technician $90/hour.

JohnZ said:
I remember snarfing this photo from somewhere about a year and a half ago and saved it - maybe it illustrates what Ron was talking about. :)

Yep, that's it, Paul. Thanks, JohnZ again for the good photo.

As I remember, Paul, the inside door pull goes thru an additional linkage before it actions the same remaining linkage that the outside door button actuates (clear as mud, huh?) But, you'll see when you get it apart. Also as I recall, the wear point I'm referring to is the one between the two linkages in the photo showing 1/16" clearance.

The inside pull works one arm against the other and tends to wear a groove in the link. I built mine up with a welder set at low heat, at that time didn't have a wire welder. I believe a wire welder would be much easier. Had to dress it a little with a file afterwards, but has worked fine for several years now.

Hope this is a little help to you, I'd like to return the favor for your help!!

Ron

OUCH! A weld job after $7000 (that's $US) worth of paint. We shall see....

OK, not thinking right tonight. Mom has advanced Alzheimer. Not a great Mother's Day visit. She does not know who I am. I'll leave it at that.

67HEAVEN said:
Remove the mechanism first. ;)

Right!!! Also seems as if I've heard of someone else shimming the spot where the wear occurs, not quite sure how this is done, though. Might be a possibility. Any way you could hold a shim in place might work. Just another thought, need to be creative sometimes!!

Ron

paul67 said:
OK, not thinking right tonight. Mom has advanced Alzheimer. Not a great Mother's Day visit. She does not know who I am. I'll leave it at that.

Paul
My heart goes out to you. We suffered through the pain of that horrible disease with my mother-in-law a few years back. I had no idea how devastating and taxing it was until we lived through it. No third party news report can accurately convey the extent of the impact. It certainly makes you take pause to think about, and be thankful for good fortune while you have it. I hope she's not suffering and that your family is coping.
Regards,
Jeff

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom