Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

new owner and i have some questions

mikeman

Corvette
'93 red coupe
ok well first of all I just bought my first vette three weeks ago and finally put it on the road last week and im not really sure about a couple of thing, so i remeber that i havent been on here in awhile and thought you guys would be able to help me since i have no experience with vettes.

Well first off it a '93 auto and my first question is, is it bad to start in (im guess overdrive) or is it better to start in D and then shift it to the the D with the square around it, sorry about this question im 19 so i havent ever experienced a auto with two different drives

Next is the weather stripping, it looks really bad, especially under the removeable top it looks like it melted and on the rear hatch where it makes the 90 degree corner it broke in half at the coner, but the car doesnt leak at all, so should i worry about it now or is it something that can wait to be replaced over the winter?

The gas gauge/fuel range doesnt work (the gas gauge just reads full ant then when i drive aroud for awhile it drops to just about empty), i knew this when i bought the car but since my other cars gas gauge doesnt work im used to just calculationg the range so it doenst really bother me but the mechanic said it was going to cost $1500 to fix and i just wanted to know if that was right cause sometimes i dont really trust some of the guys at that mechanic, but he said it was the fuel sending unit that needed to be replaced so i also want to know if that is it and not the gauges?

Only other thing that i found that doesnt work right is the drivers side window buttons, the drivers window can go up an down but from the drivers side i cant roll the passangers window down but i can roll it up so can i replace the switch myself, ive done it in my other car so would it be any harder to replace one in a vette

Last question, ive only been putting premium/super (whatever it recomends by the gas cap) in it, should i just stay that way and never think about putting any less in it?

well thats all i have so if anybody can answer any of them question it would be very heplful.

Well, first off welcome to CAC and the Corvette madness.

As far as your questions, I usually just put it in OD and drive. I've heard some say if you are going to cruise around town pull it down to D. So I would guess either works. Some one else may jump in a say different but that my story.

The weatherstripping can be $$$$$. I replaced door, A-pillar and B-pillar weatherstripping as mine looked pretty bad, not that they leaked, just looked bad. The ones I bought were not GM brand, so I got by a bit cheaper. Many people think that the aftermarket stuff isn't as good, but I have had really good luck with the stuff I bought. If you replace, I believe it's just as important to prep properly as using good parts. Again this is my opinion/findings, someone else may have other info.

The door switch isn't really any different than any other car, if you have done it on something else you can do it on the Vette.

I only use the Premium fuel in mine. The computer can probably adjust for the use of lower grade fuels, but I don't go there.

I can't help you with the other issues, but would add, if you are going to do much of this work yourself, invest in the FSM (factory service manuals) available from Helms Inc. They will lead you through many issues.

Good luck and again, welcome.

Congrats on the vette.

Just put the gear shift in OD and leave it. It's fine for driving around town unless you are in constant traffic. In that case you can leave it in Drive. It's not necessary to shift from OD to Drive.

Rear hatch weatherstrip - yea mine is seperated too. I think it's a common problem with the C4.

Sending unit - seems a little high $$$ to me. I'd check around or search the threads on this forum. Maybe someone else replaced their's and it maybe simple for you to do yourself.

oh yea i forgot to say the $1500 to fix the sending unit is everything parts and labor, dont quote me on this but i think the mechanic said that a new sending unit would cost me between $600 and $700

I'm thinking this is a bit high for replacement of a fuel sending unit. Don't settle. Search around for a better deal. Maybe you can get the part cheaper here on CAC or WWW and then have someone or yourself replace it! There's always a better way...I think...

is that something i could do on my own or is the sending unit to hard to get to on my own?

Welcome to CAC. I did a quick check of Mid America Motor Works and they list a fuel sending unit for a 84 C4 at $299.99. You might give them a call and see what their price is for your car. In checking the service manual it looks like all you have to do to get to the unit is remove four screws that hold the fuel filler door on and remove the piece's to expose the gas tank and the location of the fuel pump and sending unit. Oh if you try to do this remove the battery cables so you don't have a spark from the wiring with an open gas tank.:boogie

Your mechanic probably thinks he has to drop the tank. You replace it through the filler cap. Remove gas flap door. Pull out rubber boot. Disconect 1-2 elect. connectors (can't remember exactly). Take out the bolts around the filler neck and lift out the assembly. Might take an hour.

Some mechanics don't know a thing about Vettes so they charge alot to cover their butts while they go through the learning process. Ask other Vette owners who does their work if you don't want to attempt yourself.

Most Vette owners are particular on who works on their cars.

The first thing you should get is a set of Helm's Service Manuals. It is a two volume set and indispensable if you are going to do any work on the car yourself. (I've even loaned them to my mechanic when he has to do something he may not be familiar with). You can usually find them on ebay or the Parts For Sale section of this and other fourms, or you can order them new from Helms. They are model year specific so make sure you get the 93 version. Also, there is a preliminary (white cover) and final (red cover) version. Don't waste your money on the preliminary. A used set will cost about $80 -$100.

Weather stripping can be expensive and a pain to replace. If yours isn't leaking leave it alone for now and you'll have a nice winter project to occupy your time.

Good luck with your car.

thanks, I didnt think anybody would remember me here, xlr8 i cant believe you rembered that, haha

after this past weekend i have got another question, after i took the car out only the back wheels have this... well the best way to explain it is its like dirt mixed with oil on them, i just want to know is it something from the brakes or was it just something i probably drove threw, (most of the road i drove on were back road that have a lot of stuff left on them from the winter)

Well even though i may make this car seem to be a problem riden car with my questions, I'm just nit picking every thing on this car, and i just cant say how nice this car is, but on memorial day my family (who didnt know i bought it yet) saw it for the first time, and i almost laugh but I was asked my two of my aunts and my uncle if it was a brand new vette and they were shocked when i told them it was a 93, well i dont want to seem like i bragging but im just glad corvette owner accutally care about their cars, ill try to get a photo up soon so everyone can see what im talking about.

Certainly I remember you, Mike. And I'm pleased and proud for you that you finally realized your dream of owning a Vette!
12.gif

I can't answer your question but you know that someone with more technical savvy will be along soon that can. And you just go right ahead asking your questions. We've all been where you are.

Post pix soon and show her off!
:wJane Ann

:beer

Good looking ride you have there Mike. :upthumbs

Congrats on that beautiful red baby, Baby! We remember all you young'uns!:D

Regarding your dirt/oil mix on the rears - is the gunk on the outside of the wheel, or inside? If it's on the inside, it's probably just a mix of brake/road dust and slop that builds up over time. Get in there with a nice wheel brush when you wash her. Move it about a foot to get to the stuff you can't reach with the first wash (warsh in Jane's world!;LOL).

Also, I have a question. Not being a C4 owner, aren't your front wheels supposed to match the rear? It looks to me like they're reversed(front right s/b front left).

Now returning to C4 owner's input...:upthumbs

... Move it about a foot to get to the stuff you can't reach with the first wash (warsh in Jane's world!;LOL).

:harhar :chuckle

Also, I have a question. Not being a C4 owner, aren't your front wheels supposed to match the rear? It looks to me like they're reversed.

...:upthumbs

Ooooops!! Good catch!

He's got it covered going and coming. :)

Also, I have a question. Not being a C4 owner, aren't your front wheels supposed to match the rear? It looks to me like they're reversed(front right s/b front left).

Now returning to C4 owner's input...:upthumbs

Actually, John, the right rear should be on the left side of the car. Up until 93, the wheel size front & rear was 17x9. In 1994 they went with a 17x9.5 for the rear and 17x8.5 for the front. So 1994 and up tires cannot be rotated.

SAVE THE :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom