Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

[News] Corvette catches fire in Tampa storage unit

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Corvette catches fire in Tampa storage unit

TAMPA, Florida (AP) — Fire officials say an electrical problem in the dashboard of a 1969 Corvette sparked a fire today at a Tampa-area storage facility.

Investigators say the cars owner had started the car around noon and pulled it out of his unit at Space Plus Storage in Tampa Palms. The fire started after he parked the car back inside the storage unit.

Officials say the Corvette sustained at least $20,000 in damages, and the storage facility sustained an additional $30,000 in damages. No injuries were reported.

I flip the battery disconnect EVERY time I walk away from the car for longer than a few minutes. EVERY time.....................even though every wiring harness in the car is brand new.

The sight and smell of melted fiberglass is something you never want to see.

Almost lost my 69 under similar circumstances:cry I just happened to need to go to the garage in the evening. smelled electrical burning turned on the lights and the inside of the 69 was white with smoke turned out to be a shorted igntion switch feed wire had chaffed on the column support. what was worse is the 61 is its stable partner and the garage is very close to the house.God only knows what the outcome would have been if I did not need something out there . like Bob I turn the switcn every time now hard lesson but well learned at the school of hard knocks :ugh Steve

All Right thats it.Ive heard enough car fire stories lately,I'm going today and ordering a battery disconnect switch.Are you guys using the one with the green knob that attaches the the battery or is there a better setup out there.Please let me know so won't be the next victim.

I use the knob style but mine is black. I prefer the knob style as I simply remove it and put it in my pocket when the car is unattended for any length of time. Both styles are good but I think the knob style has this extra security feature.
Brian

What battery disconnect switch? Are these after-market add-ons ?

If these are after-market ietms, then could anyone list the various ones and advantages/disadvantages over the next one?

GerryLP:cool

Several years ago, I saw in person what happened to a friend's 1990 Vette. It was not a pretty sight.

The reason I am mentioning this is because this is a problem that plagues not only older Vettes. No matter what year you own, you must take precautions.

SAVE THE :w

Here are links to various switches..........
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/rebco5.htm

http://www.nextag.com/battery-disconnect-switch/search-html

Each has its pros and cons. For instance, the inside-the-cabin style gives you immediate shut-off control in the case of accidents or fire while you're in the car.

On my midyear, I chose the on-the-battery (battery is under the hood) spin-off/removable knob style for ease of use and a small touch of added security (after all, I've got the knob with me ;) ), as well as the fact that it doesn't require splicing into the wiring.
83266564.jpg

For theft protection, however, I wouldn't rely on this alone.

Thats the same style I am using except mine is made for a side post battery.
Any major auto parts chain should have both the switch and knob style to look over. I have also kept an ABC fire extinguisher in all of my cars for many years now. May not look the best sitting there in the back but it makes me feel better. Also, it just makes me sick to see some of the nice looking photos of motors here and on other sites and see a Black rubber fuel line connected to the carb with hose clamps. Even if there gas rated, they need to be replaced every few years. I replace my main fuel line to pump and pump to return line every 3 years just because! $11.00 for the kit every 3 years is cheep insurance.
I lost my first car due to a gas fire when I was 19. A 1966 GTO with factory tri-power and still have nightmares seeing flames coming out from the hood area.
Brian

I flip the battery disconnect EVERY time I walk away from the car for longer than a few minutes. EVERY time.....................even though every wiring harness in the car is brand new.

The sight and smell of melted fiberglass is something you never want to see.

Me too. Both Vettes have battery disconnects.

I've got to get one too.My friend many years ago had a new 78 two tone SA burn to the ground right in front of his house.All they could od was watch.The car was still unter warrentey so not all was lost.He did save the rime to put on his 79 Z/28.That looked cool!!

Battery disconnect

I think I'll getting one of those tomorrow !
This is going on my "things to do" list when I take my car out of storage this Spring.

Corvette catches fire in Tampa storage unit

TAMPA, Florida (AP) — Fire officials say an electrical problem in the dashboard of a 1969 Corvette sparked a fire today at a Tampa-area storage facility.

Investigators say the cars owner had started the car around noon and pulled it out of his unit at Space Plus Storage in Tampa Palms. The fire started after he parked the car back inside the storage unit.

Officials say the Corvette sustained at least $20,000 in damages, and the storage facility sustained an additional $30,000 in damages. No injuries were reported.
Hi im a bit late replying but i have just joined, i wanted to add, even with a battery disconnect on you can have a fire, while you are driving, parking in the drive, in the garage, etc, in can happen in secconds, the worst area is in behind the ignition switch if you get a short. it travels up through your main wire loom in seconds. What you do is you fit a fusable link, or from 40amp to60 amp fuse to the main red ignition wire, its cheap at any parts store, these are the type that have a small rubber housing and cap or some just look like a normal piece of wire about 4 to 5 inches long, but brake as soon as there is a short, they can be fitted to under dash or where the wire loom exits the fire wall , i havnt got my vette yet but have this fitted to my 65 Buick Riviera gs, because i nearly lost a 53 skylark like this, years ago. regards wayne

67 Heaven

Thanks for the post on the battery disconnect switches. I have a question that you can probably answer. If the battery disconnect switch is used, what happens to the clock and the computer power? Do you have to reset the clock each time you reactivate the switch? The 67 didn't have a computer, but the C4s and up do. Does disconnecting the battery by use of the switch affect the computer? I remember my 4 C2s and the clock, and resetting them was no problem, but as I remember them, they had a built in mechanism that self corrected if the clock ran fast or slow. Does disconnecting affect the self correcting mechanism? What is the affect for long-term storage, ie 5 months on the C4-C6 clocks and computers?
Thanks for any info you can provide.

Just installed one last week for my Vette. Not a lot of room to work with but not very difficult to install or function. You can get the one with a bypass that has a inline 15amp fuse to maintain power to the clock and radio. When the Vette is not in use I just turn the knob to remove power except for the minute voltage used with the bypass for clock, radio, etc. I also remove the knob entirely to prevent theft. No power, no start. The battery disconnect switch with the bypass was around $20.

Just installed one last week for my Vette. Not a lot of room to work with but not very difficult to install or function. You can get the one with a bypass that has a inline 15amp fuse to maintain power to the clock and radio. When the Vette is not in use I just turn the knob to remove power except for the minute voltage used with the bypass for clock, radio, etc. I also remove the knob entirely to prevent theft. No power, no start. The battery disconnect switch with the bypass was around $20.

Thanks for the information. I noticed that Mid America Motorworks has them in their catalogue. Will order one for each vette this weekend.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom