Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

No battle plan survives contact with the enemy.

Baby steps

Back from the machine shop.jpg Back and installed on the black engine.

You could go this way for a more Corvette appearance to your crate motor but it will run you in excess of $400.

http://www.yourcovers.com/valve_cover_images/11026_holes.pdf

Tom

Thanks Tom,

Looks good! I will weigh the cost of the Quadrajet and manifold against the price of the Corvette script cover from PMT. I have been to their website and looked at the product, it comes in red, black, natural and polished. I am on the fence here, I would really like to come up with a early 327! BUT I just can't wait to get to the burning gas stage! The cost of the crate engine was reasonable and will motivate the Coupe. My heart is in the early 327, I am just too impatient to hear and feel that small block Corvette. Choices we make will not be irreversible, not like a LS4 conversion.

I am messing with the originality with this engine and the Tremec 5 speed due to the 4.11 rear differential. I do want to drive long distance and have women in my life. With 4.11s the highway speed RPM would be above 3,000. The girls get tired of that real soon.

Mark.
P.S.
Also the engine was not made here in the USA, North America yes but not Flint, Michigan. I used to live in Linden just south of Flint.

Last edited:
Cool Mike, send me a PM and we will discuss prices and logistics.

With the 4.11 gears 1 to 1 (4th gear in Muncie and Tremec) engine RPM will be 3650 @ 70 MPH. At 0.64 to 1 (5th gear in the Tremec) engine RPM will be 2300 RPM @ 70 MPH. 0.64 to 1 is the overdrive in the Tremec ( which is "basicly" a T10 with a aluminum case and an overdrive 5th gear shifted internally inside the gear case rather than outside the gear case like the Muncie). Using the Tremec I will have a nicer highway car than with the Muncie. Also it will be a stoplight bandit 1st through 4th.

Last edited:
Will you need a fuel pump too?

I should have the one outta mine......

Bought an A/C correct one, there was a fitment issue the pump casting was off by 1 hole...after rebuild.

Bought a new Airtex... has maybe 10 hrs runtime ... That's coming out and the A/C will be going back in

I should have the one outta mine......

Bought an A/C correct one, there was a fitment issue the pump casting was off by 1 hole...after rebuild.

Bought a new Airtex... has maybe 10 hrs runtime ... That's coming out and the A/C will be going back in

Yes, the AC that I have is frozen and will not move. You are using a Stinger hood on Mutly, is that manifold a air gap or torque spider that will not fit under the flat hood of my Coupe? If you have any snapshots of the setup I sure would like a peek.

Mark.

Never had a low profile hood on mutley

But ( if memory serves ) not much higher than the 461.. will send pix tomorrow

Finding more

Finding and adding stuff.jpgAlternator configuration.jpg As I get the front of the engine sorted out I am having to blend the original brackets and the "Shiny Stuff". I will get the parts together then take it apart and repaint the orange to black. Then add the manifold that Mike has after changing to the 461 (mine is setting on the GMPP crate engine to gather all the bolts and other fasteners). The original distributor is very worn (cam, weights, and point plate) and the points are shot. I will have to replace a lot of the interior parts. I do have a Mallory aluminum body shutter wheel distributor I will look at and maybe use in the GMPP engine.

Ask any modern mechanic about points and you get "points, what are you talking about old man". Well, I remember 6 volt cars and generators. That was before they started calling alternators "generators".

Mark.

But ( if memory serves ) not much higher than the 461.. will send pix tomorrow

The Edelbrock literature states that the Performer RPM manifolds (Highrise) will not fit under the stock Midyear Corvette hood.

Mark.

Archives

Original engine

Attachments

• 64 original engine.JPG
    64 original engine.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 99
Another Pix

Side view

Attachments

• EdlebrockC3BX_2.jpg
    EdlebrockC3BX_2.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 92
C3BX is good

Hey Mike thanks for the photos! It was made before the Performer RPM and should be fitting under the hood.

The Mallory Distributor has a tach drive on it. I will post pictures as soon as I get to the garage, pulling PM on the house.

Mark.

100_2866.jpg Mike, here is the 461 thermostat opening. Sure looks like the 461 you have. Non original distributors.jpg These are the non-original mechanical advance distributors I have. The Accel has the gear for the tach drive stripped, I may wack the top off and use the shaft as a oil priming tool. The Mallory is okay but the shutter wheel is warped. I do need to find the wire assignments, (B)+, (B)- and signal to collapse the coil. Pull it apart and look at the weights. Have it run on a distributor machine to see what the curve is and amount of advance at full advance.

Mark.

update

Parts back at my house
Manifold ( Dirty but 100% ) No temp sender, master vac booster nipple ( I have a usable but not pretty one ).

Carb ( outside letting the fuel out ) you will need a feed pipe plug.
. I'm keeping my fuel pressure gauge
. You will need a base gasket

M/T rocker covers

Fuel pump

Parts back at my house
Manifold ( Dirty but 100% ) No temp sender, master vac booster nipple ( I have a usable but not pretty one ).

Carb ( outside letting the fuel out ) you will need a feed pipe plug.
. I'm keeping my fuel pressure gauge
. You will need a base gasket

M/T rocker covers

Fuel pump

I will schedule a visit with my family and get you in the loop with a date of travel.

Mark.

The Edelbrock C3BX predates the Performer series of manifolds. You can tell it's a 1960's/1970's intake by the boss for the GM style choke stove next to the carb. This would be a bigger runner manifold for a more high performance application, probably closer to the RPM of today. It's rather tall so check clearance carefully before slamming your hood.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom