Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

No battle plan survives contact with the enemy.

The Edelbrock C3BX predates the Performer series of manifolds. You can tell it's a 1960's/1970's intake by the boss for the GM style choke stove next to the carb. This would be a bigger runner manifold for a more high performance application, probably closer to the RPM of today. It's rather tall so check clearance carefully before slamming your hood.

Tom

Thanks for your feedback Tom, I'll take a measurement of the 461 in the AM and check with Mike. The taller RPM has notations in the Edelbrock description that these manifolds will not fit under the stock Corvette small block hood. I have only the one hood and will not be slamming the hood. It may work out that I will use the 461 utilizing the power steering vacuum port for crankcase ventilation.

Mark.

Last edited:
Thanks for your feedback Tom, I'll take a measurement of the 461 in the AM and check with Mike.

I set a straight edge (2 foot level) on the top of the intake and measured from the level to the engine block. It is 3 3/4" in the front of the engine and 4 5/8" at the rear of the engine. That measurement is without any gaskets between the engine block and the intake manifold. The differance in the two measurements is the angle of the engine when it is installed. The carburetor needs to be level for the float level control to work properly.

Mark.

Using the 461

Decision made. Went to car show and grabbed some offshore chrome parts to make a PCV system. Engine crankcase ventilation 2.jpg The rear breather has a PCV valve in the base and will connect to where the weatherhead fitting is.
Engine crankcase ventilation.jpg The weatherhead fitting will be replaced by a two port vacuum fitting. One side for the PCV hose and the other will be sealed off until the brake booster is installed. The front breather is the fresh air supply for the crankcase ventilation. I spent about $60.00 on the shiny stuff. Yes project creep is upon us! That will be the last of the shiny stuff I hope. GMPP was $62.00 for the valve covers alone. In all fairness they had a Bowtie and Chevrolet script embossed (actually it is debossed, the figure stands out from the surface not pressed into the surface) into the top. Hey, I know it is a General Motors engine! Anyone who cared at all will know it is GM.

I may regret this offshore shiny part buy. The black V/Covers that came of the GMPP engine were as thin as the chrome V/Covers, but they had plug wire holders welded on the top of the covers. That would be okay if I was using custom headers. With the factory exhaust the wires run under the exhaust not over. Original engine parts and crate engine = this configuration.

Mark.

Cast iron exhaust manifold

While I do not recall having seen any cast iron exhaust manifold gaskets on the few engines that I knew were original. My 1968 327 Camaro and my 1972 350 C10 Van. Both of those cars were bought new by me. I did install aftermarket four tube headers on both cars. That was 40 years ago.

That said I have a trace of a gasket on the passenger side exhaust manifold of this Coupe. Are these mentioned in the documentation available?

Mark.

Although not installed at the factory, exhaust manifold gaskets come in gasket sets and some people use them.

Although not installed at the factory, exhaust manifold gaskets come in gasket sets and some people use them.

That is how I remember it, those two cars did not have any gaskets. That asbestos fragmentation on the one manifold had me going. Thanks Tom.

Mark.

Any progress ?

Yes. Lots of progress, I spent a week in Maryland at a training site WAY out in the boonies (only 1 bar on the cell phone) for a history project with the union I am on the Executive Board of. Wow, I forgot how bad the humidity was on the east coast. One giant swamp! It was a 2 1/2 hour bus drive out of Baltimore on Cuckold Creek. Just outside California and Hollywood, Maryland. Yes, I flew across the country to be bussed through Hollywood!

Spent $500.00 on the "little" stuff, plugs (peanut style) plug wires, vacuum lines for 365 hp 327, fittings and bypass hose for the water pump. All sorts of Corvette correct parts. I was at a Chevrolet Dealer looking for exhaust manifold bolts (factory) and after seeing a lot of blank looks I asked if they were a Corvette Dealer. Surprise! Not a "older vehicle" dealer. The parts counterman gave me a number for a store front parts house in San Jose, I called and they had the bolts in stock. 20 minute drive later I was in a treasure trove of Corvette parts! It was like I was back in the 60/70's! 435/427 bare block inside the back door, parts everywhere, 365/327 chrome air cleaner on the shelve, correct 1965 emblems (lot's of correct year emblems), 1958 hubcaps. This place was stuffed full hard to find bits. Got my manifold bolts and told them I would be back, they told me they do a big mail order business. I thought that I would rather not pay shipping, it was a quick trip on the 880 into San Jose. I made a list of the parts I was missing. Rolled back in and they had everything on my list! One stop shopping. Owner is great, has a midyear in restoration (body off, saw pictures of the frame setting on the wheels). Real "Car" person.

I was getting the engine ready to start today but will have to overhaul the distributor. The centrifugal weights are worn. Also the Hecho en Mexico engine does not have a hole drilled and tapped for the spark plug heat shield above the starter. It has the hole for the starter brace, and the debossed pad cast into the block. Must DRILL! Whirrr! Flying bits of cast iron! Yes! Being a mechanic again, not a "Technician"!

I'll get some photos of the progress poster soon, honey-do's and catching up on spousal responsibilities. But it's raining so I will get some time in the shop.

Mark.

Last edited:
Just outside California and Hollywood, Maryland. Yes, I flew across the country to be bussed through Hollywood!

Enjoying watching your progress, thanks for posting..Sitting in downtown California/Lexington Park as we speak, glad you got to experience some of our Maryland humidity.:chuckle

What is the name of that shop? Do they have a web site?

Tom

What is the name of that shop? Do they have a web site?

Tom

Corvette Clinic on West San Carlos St in San Jose, <www.corvetteclinic.net> 1956 to present is their tag line.

LOTS of parts in stock, 200+ suppliers he told me last Saturday. He is looking for a 3782870 bare block for me. He had looked but there weren't any he found with the correct month casting. I told him that's okay, I don't have the original engine and just want to run the original crankcase ventilation and valve covers. Just as close as I can get it. He is talking to his contacts again.

Mark.</www.corvetteclinic.net>

Last edited:
Enjoying watching your progress, thanks for posting..Sitting in downtown California/Lexington Park as we speak, glad you got to experience some of our Maryland humidity.:chuckle

There was a storm that blew through the area last week or so. I was at the Wipinsinger Center, Placid Harbor. Nice part of the world, I had just forgotten about the east coast. Lots of boats in Maryland! I had also forgotten about fireflys.

Mark.

Pictures of some progress

Progress 1.jpgProgress 2.jpgProgress 3.jpgI am moving along with the engine, I was thinking that I would start it for camshaft break-in this week. HA!Ha!ha! That is a pile! So many of the little necessary parts are missing! I am finding duplicates in the boxes and not finding things like the thermostat housing! The advance weights in the 1111069 distributor are worn, the oil filter adapter did not come with the crate engine, I have a large spline clutch disc (the Tremec has a fine spline input shaft) and no thermoswitch for BeCool radiator fans. The beat goes on and on! Argh! Remember this is fun! It's a BMW (Bring My Wallet) I am finding some cool parts houses though!:L

So when will the engine drop into the car??

Wanna see....

Wanna see....

I am hoping this weekend. I have been known to optimistic with my estimates. My wife is off work tomorrow and we will be out about town for the weekend. Looking like later in the week for the cam break in run. I need to rig a radiator stand and temporary fuel tank. Still haven't found distributor weights for the 069, the cam at the top is very rusty. The point cam is good. Need to pick up points, condenser, cap and rotor. The resistor block to after start run the points on 6V. Or I could plug in the Mallory distributor. I need to try the Holley, to see how badly it will leak fuel. It could be this weekend. It could take longer.

Mark.

Weekend came and went. I have it ALMOST ready to run. Found some used 069 distributor weights and all the necessary parts to overhaul the 069. I pulled it apart, cleaned the parts I would reuse and reassembled it using what I had picked up at Corvette Clinic. It was kinda nasty, the old grease had solidified into a hard lump. Lots of red powder (rust) on the weights on top of the point cam. Re-lubricated the shaft, tachometer drive gear and centrifugal weights. For lube I used a synthetic high temperature disc brake grease. I used the mid range weight springs (it is spinning a big flywheel), a brass limit bushing (original was rubber or plastic) new points and condenser. Add a new cap and rotor (the black one). I am now futzing with the timing. Had the distributor in and out maybe 10 times before leaving for the night.

Plugged the fan switch into the head, still have to get the bypass hose (water pump) installed. The old Holley is puking fuel, need to re-gasket that before we have a problem.

Project creep! I have a clutch disc for the Muncey, the Tremec uses a late disc. The GMPP Crate engine has two dip stick holes, I need to plug one. I used spreader bars on the valve covers. The only new thermostat housing I could find locally was chrome, more shiny stuff! I won't be able to open the hood on sunny days, I could blind some poor unsuspecting bystander! With all the billet drive pulleys I'll be buffing more than driving. :)

Mark.

Yes. We need updated. I heading out to the shop right now and I need inspiration.

Honey do's, Family responsibility and such particulars of life are conspiring to prevent any progress!

I picked up a Holley renew kit (37-1542) from a local auto parts store. While checking the applications list I find that this kit is not for a List 2818-1 (my Holley) but will work the Holley (list 80457-3) on my son's 1964 Chevy II. I need a 37-1537 kit. The kid at the parts store suggested that the 37-1542 would work. He did spend 20 plus minutes going through his books and computer generated parts list.

Searched the Holley.com website and found the correct kit is that 37-1537. <www.holley.com>Technical tab drop-down list to "Technical library". Select "carb numerical listing". R2818-1 line lists the renew kit number. I did send a technical request on-line to Holley and Colin Kinser replied to that request confirming the 37-1537 as what I will need for my 2818-1.

Started pulling the carb apart using an article Lars Grimsrud ( member of Colorado Corvette Crazies) wrote for Holley tuning. "How to Tune a Holley (basic)". The Holley web site has a large selection of technical papers on their carburetors.

I found the secondary throttle plate idle adjustment screw frozen (the first adjustment to be done) and that plate did need to be adjusted. Soaking the screw with WD-40 to see if it will loosen up a bit. Very small screw on the BOTTOM of the throttle plate! The screwdriver slot is kinda hogged out and distorted from previous attempts to adjust it!

Rigging a start up stand to run the 350/290. I did see what is out there on the internet. I don't think I will invest in a $2,700 dedicated engine run fixture. I have seen everything from a SBC setting on the ground supported by the oil pan and a set of aftermarket headers, a BBC tied down in the bed of a pickup truck to a factory test cell. Some creative engineering out there.

I do have some steel hanging around, but I feel it is too light to run an engine on. I'll rig up a temporary jig and then get some more robust pieces to finalize it.

It is Monday and everyone is at work so I will be heading to the shop to play with the engine some more.

Mark.
</www.holley.com>

Welded up a couple of braces from the motor mounts to the HF engine stand to help locate the engine when running.

Built a radiator support stand (had some 1-5/8 X 2-3/8 X 1/16 perforated angle that came from the shop when it was remodeled, it was shelving for sheet metal parts) to hold the Be Cool radiator/fans.

Cleaned and renewed the Holley. The 37-1537 kit will renew quite a few models, it has parts for a 4150/4160 600 CFM 650 CFM 750 CFM plus lots of spread bore parts.

Went out of state to Nevada for a long weekend. It was kinda hot, not Viet Nam hot but HOT. 97 to 103 degrees in the shade. I was glad to get back to the East Bay @ 75 to 87 degrees. I was a sissy and stayed in the A/C while we were in Nevada. From the A/C hotel to the A/C car to the A/C restaurant or A/C store. Man, I do HAVE TO install A/C in the Coupe. I mean it was okay to be a sweaty 20 year-old, this sweaty 65 year old did not like it. That means insulation in the floor, interior and tinted glass. I tried the 270 A/C (two windows open-70 MPH). I lasted 3 minutes, on with the A/C and up with the windows! I felt like I was in a convection oven.

If this Coupe is going to be a driver I will want to drive in the heat and the rain. I will not drive in snowy or icy conditions.

Mark.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom