Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

No battle plan survives contact with the enemy.

Just that easy, Joel did give me the gentle brush off at first "Sorry but the small pieces in the shifter are not sold separate, the best way to fix it would be just purchase a new shifter if it’s a new unit we could look at possible warranty.". After a few emails explaining that it had never been installed after being purchased decades ago he gave me the number that put me in touch with Kiesler technical support. It turns out that Kiesler purchased the gearbox from Grupo Kuo (Tremec in the USA) of Mexico for a "kit" to install a 5 speed in Mid Year Corvettes. It comes with a transmission, transmission mount, the offset shifter, a driveshaft, and a output yoke. I had everything but the bushing for the shifter.

Mark.

All's well that ends well, I suppose!

Mac

Good Neighbor

I had one of my neighbors stop by and inquire about the Coupe in my garage. He has a 1967 Camaro (I do like those Camaros as I did have a '68 when I was a much younger man) at his home that I have been checking out as I drove by. He volunteered to help install the engine! I am going to take him up on that offer. Working for a install this week end! Progress! I do want some help watching what is happening as the 350/290 slides into the chassis. I'm off to the garage to pull the carburetor, distributor and plugs to prevent anything happening to them during the install. Woo Hoo! It is getting better.

Mark.

Always nice to have a second set of hands when it comes to pulling an engine!!

Mac

Well Mark you have been busy!

Thought I drop in and see what's up,,,,LOL

Thought I drop in and see what's up,,,,LOL

Just trying to gather up a few people to help install the engine in the Coupe. I would like to have somebody watching as the engine/transmission was being lowered into the body so I don't mess anything up. I have been by my neighbor Ron's house a few times but he seems to be gone when I show up.

I'm just going to pull the trigger and start. I'll get the engine prepped (oil, plugs, carburetor and distributor removed) and hung on the cherry picker and try to get it "hovering" over the engine compartment for a look at what will be involved. Looks like I will need to remove the drivers front tire/wheel to be able to come over the fender to get it in position with my cherry picker. It may be too small for the job. There is only one way to find out, get it loaded up and see. This could be scary/interesting. I may have to pull the intake to get the tilt mechanism close enough to the engine to lift it high enough to clear the finder. I don't know, never stuffed one in a Corvette. Time to get an education.

Mark.

Depends on how far the front end is jacked up

2 person job minimum... 3 better

2 person job minimum... 3 better

That is what I was figuring, Me and two helpers. One to watch each side of the engine as I maneuvered it into the coupe. I will be operating the crane, we don't need the engine crashing down on that 49 year old FRP fender. I will have the wheels off and the frame sitting on jack stands. All the front of the radiator/shroud is out.

Mark.

Last edited:
Should be.. cake

With the core support out you should have tons of room.... I'm thinking butter & hot knife....

GO MARK GO

Again, No plan survives contact!

Have both 2nd son and 3rd son here today and getting the two of them scheduled on the same day is imposable. James just got out if the ER at Kaiser, stomach virus! Aaron has accounting issues at work and is collaborating with Terri (Accounting HR Tech 2) to see if she can make sense of the books that are driving him crazy. Calculators and monthly printouts spread across the family room table are not getting my engine installed!
I'm just chilling in the warm sunshine having a cigar and trimming a Hibiscus Bonzi.
Aaron fried his brain and bolted home. James is sleeping off the virus. Terri took off to Kolh's with Gina. Sigh. Next week, maybe if I can get the two boys in the same place again! With promises and assurances of getting it done soon I have started another plan for the assault, er... ah..., install.

Mark.

Last edited:
I step forward 2 steps back

Good dress rehearsal~
LOL

Any updates…..

Want to see…..

Getting withdrawal symptoms on this coast, Mark! :L
Andy :w

Withdrawal symptoms

Gaaaa! I have been trying to find that neighbor who told me he would help! Every time I drop by his house he is gone! Middle son has gotten a new position as a area manager, he has no time! Oldest son moved to the valley (Ceres CA) and youngest is in school, working and has a new lady!

Me, I am scraping paint off the Coupe to stave off the madness! I had a wisdom tooth that has been hanging out for 51 years get infected and developed a cyst on the root, no big deal pull that sucker. Then I developed what is called "Dry Socket". I was into the second day and thinking that I would stop taking pain meds when the fit hit the Shan! Dude I have broken bones and there was less pain! The Doc used 4 cylinders of Novocain and dug all the crap out of there and packed it with clove. When the Novocain wore off I thought I would be in trouble and it was fine.

At least most of the paint is off. Engine is STILL sitting there waiting to find a home.

Mark.

Timing is everything

I hate that when a project stalls like that.....and there doesn't see to be a way out....
That being said, maybe you could hit up the local community college that has an auto shop..
Ask the teacher for a few names..of the better wrenches in his class...
Might cost you a few bucks and some pizza...Just a thought..

I'm going through some dental work too..NOT FUN...
Keep on going Mark... it will get there....

Mike

Family Ties

I am working on the brother in law and a nephew right now. One is a Heavy Duty Diesel mechanic and the other is a PG&E lineman. They expressed an interest and now is the time to see exactly how interested they are. I'll see if I can't draft them into assisting with the install.:beer

Mark.

Engine install

Well I guess that nobody was that interested in stuffing the engine into that Coupe. BUT I have nailed down the 2nd and 3rd Sons for the 26th at 8:00AM. I should make enough progress to have the engine in the car even if nothing is hooked up. Being retired I keep saying "anytime guys" and it is always "okay next weekend". Well, we have selected a Wednesday that they both scheduled to be off. Hope springs eternal! I'm going to have a engine and gearbox in the coupe! Then it is up to me to get it running and driving. I'll have it on jack stands to check the clutch, gearbox and cooling system before it leaves the garage. Then it's an EOP (Emergency Operating Permit) to get it over to a California Department of Motor Vehicles to be inspected to get title and license to be able to drive. It has been off the books since 1984 and I will have to prove it is a car.

Mark.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom