Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Oil Pan

Well, I got the oil pan down. The idler arm definately needed to be unbolted in order for the pan to come out. It sure was tight. I imagine it will be only harder reinstalling it with a gasket. There has to be an easier way...:W

I just removed the pan and timing cover on my GM crate engine, there was quite a "Dab" of gray RTV in these areas on both sides. I had a heck of a time getting the gasket out of the cover because of the RTV they used.

DSC04089.jpg

Got the pan sand blasted and repainted. Pan is now back on. What a pain!!! I will put oil in it tomorrow and start her up. Fingers are crossed.

Well, the leak has decided not to go away. Only one thing left it could be. Rear Main Seal. So frustrating...

We know the feeling, sorry to hear that. Must be leaking in the back then huh?

Yep, must be the rear main seal and I debated to go further at the time because I already had the pan off but was sure that it was just the oil pan gasket. How wrong I was.

Sorry to hear about the leak coming back and that you have to take the pan off again for the rear seal, make sure you get that seal in correctly its very easy to damage the seal putting it in and if you do you won't know it until it's all back together and still leaking. That is what happened to me, still have the leak just have not had the time to redo the job. It sounds pretty simple to put that seal in but trust me its easier to damage it than to get it in correctly. I am not sure exactly how to get it in and don't know exactly how to use the little white tool that comes with the seal, thats why I still have a leak. I am sure someone can give more detailed instructions. I just slid the new seal in place as I removed the old one it went right in but still leaks so I did something wrong. Well lots of words but not much help, let me know how it goes I am going to attemp this myself one more time.

I may get to it next week so I will let you know how I do.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom