Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

On Board Toolkit ? (Fiddler's Gold thread is merged here too)

T

Tonylong

On Board Toolkit ? What do you keep in it.

I'm interested in finding out which tools any of you keep in your
corvette - and where do you keep them.

I bought a 30 piece Craftsman tool set in a foldable zip lock case from Sears. It contains a socket wrench with metric and standard sockets as well as a few extensions and I believe some screwdriver bits. I keep it on the floor behind the driver's seat of my Vette.

Only one item.

An old torque wrench along the side of the passengers seat with a wheel lug nut socket attached to remove and replace any lugnuts in case of a flat. The standandard one is too short to get enough leverage. I always have a credit card with no limit in my pocket too!

Toolkit (of sorts)

I keep a flashlight, a few car opening tools (I am a locksmith ya know), and that is pretty much it. I have no room behind my seat and like Tanzanite, I keep the plastic charged and ready in my wallet.

In addition to cell phone and quasi charged plastic...

Screwdrivers (regular, philips)
Flashlight
small first aid kit
fix-a-flat (long trips)
Pliars
A couple sockets
Cutters
Leatherman type thing (last I looked?)
disposable coveralls
Flares
Umm cant remember what else. This is all in the compartment behind the passenger seat. (down the well)

In the winter I also carry Prestone Instatrac for winter driving.

Mike

oh yeah, my front license place is down there too.

I keep my cell phone charged and an umbrella rides behind my seat.

If it breaks... I'll fix it when I get it home.
No matter how many tools I would bring...
...the one that I would need would be sleeping quietly in the toolbox at home.

:bang

C V Man

YEah, I have a small umbrella (bumpershoot) back there too. It is for any guest I might have with me. I lived in Seattle for 4 years. After that much testing, I can honestly tell you that I am water proof and drip-dry.

C V Man said:
No matter how many tools I would bring...
...the one that I would need would be sleeping quietly in the toolbox at home.

I'm with you on that; I've proven it! :L

_ken :w

AAA,American Express,Cell phone and a Cuban Cigar.:D
:w

A $30 multi piece tool kit in a hard plastic case behind my driver seat. This would not work for a tall fellow.

You might also every couple months or so drop your spare tire and make sure it's still inflated. And drop a pencil-type tire gauge into the console.
Add a cheap ballpoint pen and a scrap of paper for noting down license plate numbers.

And has anyone mentioned a pair of cotton work gloves? Also a tube of that no water - no rag handcleaner. Having just fixed a blowout on my BMW last weekend, I'm sorta glad I had all these things onboard.
Now if only I'd had a way to prevent the jack from sinking into the hot asphalt...

nyernga:hey carlo....what, no cognac to go with the cigar?

Len,
I can see you're a man who appreciates the finer things in life. :cool

Redbob said:
... spare tire
... tire gauge into the console
... ballpoint pen and ...paper
... work gloves

I keep an air gauge (you can't trust any of the gauges that are available to the public at the air pump). I also purchased a long piece of air line for the spare from Griot's Garage and tie-wrapped it to the rear bumper frame. That way I don't have to remove the spare to check the air -- but I still forget to check it regularly! :L

I also keep a fresh pair of "Mechanix" gloves in the car. I keep a "fresh" pair to lessen the chance of something getting greasy from dirty gloves. ;)

A pen and paper are essential to any car.

That a great question Tony, I have asked myself the same question, so I think I am going to do what I have done with my 75 CJ-5,with my 73 Vette and that is carry most of the tools that I use for maintenance and any light repairs.I keep the tools in a small tool bag I got at Home Depot
crow

cell phone, 2 batteries for the cell phone!
and most important... my luck rabbits foot (so it won't break) :L

it'll either get towed to my house or the shop depending on how bad the injury is...

No fire extinguishers, guys? I'm looking into several different foam agents that can stop any type of fire and not flood the electronics. I've seen cars go up in flames before, including an 18-wheeler that would not stop burning. That's the last thing I want to experience first hand. :(

--Bullitt

Oops! Forgot that I DO carry a fire extinguisher. It IS a tool I guess.

I just had it recharged too. ;)

craftsman ratchet/socket set , screwdrivers pliers,road flares, extra fan belt ,duct tape, gerber, first aid kit..

I am looking for a small Halon extinguisher. I saw one once. A dispacher for the Cal Hwy Patrol had one. It would fit in the tray insert in the rear cubby.

If anyone sees or know where they can be found, please let me know.

I don't want a CO2 extinguisher in the car, and I have had a dry chem accidently go off in the trunk of another car (very messy).

Oh yeah, jumper cables, a small little self jumper thing you plug in the cigarett lighter, electrical tape, and yes, I do have a tire pressure gauge.

thanks for the reminder on the air in the spare. I think mine is flat.

hmm, u guy's forgot the most important thing

fuses
get a small box of fuses it really sucks when a fuse goes out that keeps u from going.
i keep a torque set
tire repair set

i also have a small air tank in one of my back apartments
to air up a tire
i keep some extra wire .... in case i have to rewire something with my car to make it go. a flash lite and a nife. anda tire gauge of course no other guage is good enough for my car, hehe

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom