Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Opening A Can Of Worms

Vette_Dreaming

Corvette
Y2K Navy Blue Roadster
I think I am finally going to get a Corvette and stop just dreaming about it. I had thought orginally that I would get a C4 but my wife has said that I should get something newer. Who am I to argue? :L Back to the title of this thread: what are the pro's and con's of C5 convertibles? I am leaning toward a convertible but the coupe is awfully nice as well. I know that most of the difference is a personal preference but is there anything I really need to consider. I have checked with my insurance company and it will be a little higher for a 'vert. The cost of getting one is going to be a little higher as well. I am pretty much just starting to look at C5's so I have not made up my mind yet. Nearly every day I see a 2002 Magnetic Red/Light Oak convertible in the parking garage and I drool on it once in a while. I hope that by late Spring, early Summer to have my dream and can join the rest of the C5 family here. Any insight that you can offer will be appresiated.

I think I am finally going to get a Corvette and stop just dreaming about it. I had thought orginally that I would get a C4 but my wife has said that I should get something newer. Who am I to argue? :L Back to the title of this thread: what are the pro's and con's of C5 convertibles? I am leaning toward a convertible but the coupe is awfully nice as well. I know that most of the difference is a personal preference but is there anything I really need to consider. I have checked with my insurance company and it will be a little higher for a 'vert. The cost of getting one is going to be a little higher as well. I am pretty much just starting to look at C5's so I have not made up my mind yet. Nearly every day I see a 2002 Magnetic Red/Light Oak convertible in the parking garage and I drool on it once in a while. I hope that by late Spring, early Summer to have my dream and can join the rest of the C5 family here. Any insight that you can offer will be appresiated.
I've got a 2000 Coupe, and can only answer to that. It seems to me that ALL convertibles start to rattle after awhile, and I don't believe that the same can be said for the coupes. I think that it's a matter of personal taste that dictates what body style you end up buying. I've always loved the coupes better than the 'verts since the coupe came out in 63. I would DEARLY love to own a 65 coupe, but I refuse to sell my children and take out a mortgage on my wife, so I got the most car I could find for what I was prepared to spend. BIG DOWNSIDE to coupe ownership...........cleaning that #%$^$ back glass! Either way, I don't think you can go wrong with the choice of a C5! Good luck, and be sure to let us know when you get the dream. Pictures would be nice too!
Andy:pat
:w

The coupe is much better suited to travel, while the Vert is more fun in the sun.:upthumbs

Nearly every day I see a 2002 Magnetic Red/Light Oak convertible in the parking garage and I drool on it once in a while. I hope that by late Spring, early Summer to have my dream and can join the rest of the C5 family here. Any insight that you can offer will be appresiated.
I have a 99 C5 MR Coupe that has 30K miles. Just like new, even smells new. If you are interested, PM me.

I've had four vetts all verts,The c-5 and c-6 tops are light years ahead of the older ones.Mine has 45,000 miles no leaks or flaws.With the top up your storage room isn't that much less than the coupe.I'm just an old guy who believes vert should be verts and shifters.

Convertibles seem to hold their value a little better which is good since they are usually more expensive at purchase.

For me, there's nothing better than driving around with the top down. You can smell the ocean and the pine trees and the donut shops as you cruise along with the sun shining down on you. That seems to add a lot to the experience for me. :lou

Of course if there's a lot of stinky stuff in your area then you might not want to be driving with the top down too often. ;)

I have a '98 vert (just over 30,000 miles) and to be honest - yes, the convertible top squeaks - but only when driving at low speeds. It doesn't squeak at all when it's down. :)

And it doesn't leak, and there is plenty of headroom, and the rear window is glass with a defogger, all of which were problems with other convertibles I've known.

Plus - there is NOTHING COOLER than a Corvette Convertible. although I may be a little biased

I've got a 1998 convertible and I love it! I can't give you a comparison to coupes because my only experience is 'verts. But I don't notice any excessive squeaks or rattles and mine had to sit outside in my front yard through Hurricane Katrina.

I would make a couple of suggestions... Buy the lowest mileage, latest model year you can afford. Check the CAC Knowledgebase section for C5 service bulletins and technical information here and shop accordingly. Post your questions here on the CAC - our members knowledge and willingness to help is unparaelled anywhere else on the web. You won't get flamed or bashed, but you will get good solid, honest answers.

As for the 'vert, I had to replace my 9 year old top this past September when the back glass broke free. The same thing happened with my first Corvette, a 1994 'vert when it was 8 years old. It's not cheap, and it wasn't something I could do myself.

BUT - I posted regarding the glass failure here in the forums and didn't get any response from members with the same issue, so it doesn't seem to be a common occurence. I'd suggest looking closely at the seal around the back window (exterior) for any signs of gaps between the cloth and the glass.

And get a RED one. :D

Okay, so that's more than a couple of suggestions but you asked. ;)

Good luck with your search. When you find the one that was made just for you be sure to post pix.

:w Jane Ann

14329Harbor_2.jpg

If you can find a fully loaded Z51 triple black roadster with the the 6 speed gear box C5 buy it. You will love it! They are hard to find but that will make them more valualble in the future. This edition has it all. Wind in your face, agressive look, and most of all, performance.

The triple black Z51 6speed will be a collector in the future. I bought mine new after driving each derivative offered. The Z06 was awesum but lacked the wind in your face factor. Therefore I chose a fully loaded Z51...it's just as awesum. It was/is the best performing non Z06, and even more fun than it, due to the drop the top factor.

Of all the C5 derivatives the triple black roadster is on top and since this combo was produced in low numbers it is surely a nice thing.

Good Luck

LOVE the conv. its my second one and not only are there no rattles but even smells new too! I leave the top up when its in the garage thats why I guess. Would never bad talk a coupe cause I never had one. We go down the jersey shore almost every weekend and we bring a cooler, bag of clothes, dog bag,wine, etc. and still have room in trunk even if top is down! The C5 vettes are a whole different animal then the older ones. Whatever you buy lots of luck and USE IT! ENJOY IT!:w

I said that about my new fuel injected 1966 Vette when I bought it in 1965 and they laffed at me also...so like a dummy I traded it for a new 1969 Vert...... I thought "They" were right until I saw what a guy paid for a fuel injected 1966 Vette on Barrett Jackson Auction last month.;shrug

Have It All

Buy a convertible - make it faster than a Z06 - end of discussion.
Remo:cool

QuicksilverFrontjpg.jpg

Buy a convertible - make it faster than a Z06 - end of discussion.

Remo,
What have we told about "going cannibal" on fellow Corvette enthusiasts?
:nono

It's one thing to lay out a smackdown on some knucklehead driving a Mitsubishi Eclipse, or a Ford Mustang. But deliberately 'Lingenfeltering' your Corvette so that you can beat another Corvette? That's rude and anti-social.

VetteDreaming,
I know several people who have C5 convertibles, and have never experienced a problem with them, other than a dramatic sunburn on a long trip. You will also have an increase in wind noise when travelling in any kind of a cross wind situation, so that hearing your tunes on the stereo may become a challenge. But I would say those are likely the only two "big" issues you'll need to know about ownership of a convertable.

Good luck with your search, and let us know when you find that perfect C5!

-Patrick

Remo,

It's one thing to lay out a smackdown on some knucklehead driving a Mitsubishi Eclipse, or a Ford Mustang. But deliberately 'Lingenfeltering' your Corvette so that you can beat another Corvette? That's rude and anti-social.

-Patrick

I am a pig - forgive me - all
Remo:ugh

I think there are 2 types of people, vert and coup/hardtop. I personally have a vert and love it. During the spring/summer/fall I cant wait to get off work so I can drop the top and cruz home. Do I get a sunburn? yup sometimes but thats why I have a corvette hat. As far a wind noise...the tops down thats the whole point right? However, I dont have any problems hearing Frank Sinatra sing I've got you under my skin at 80mph or any of those golden oldies from the 50's (I grew up at the weekly drive-in's classic car night with my Dad back in the 90s, love those songs) Sorry back on track.

My advice make sure you get what you truly want and dont settle for anything less.

Remo,

VetteDreaming,
I know several people who have C5 convertibles, and have never experienced a problem with them, other than a dramatic sunburn on a long trip. You will also have an increase in wind noise when travelling in any kind of a cross wind situation, so that hearing your tunes on the stereo may become a challenge. But I would say those are likely the only two "big" issues you'll need to know about ownership of a convertable.

Good luck with your search, and let us know when you find that perfect C5!

-Patrick

Thank you Father Patrick :eyerole

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom