Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Original L81 engine pic's..

Thanks for the positive replies everyone :)
Amarillo sounds very nice But! but eeuhh i'll also need a ticket from Holland to Amarillo.. ;)
This vette is going to be a 50/50. I restore it to original or make it better the thing i like about the L81 is all the stuff on the engine, so that is what i'll keep (there are enough L81's with all the emissionstuff removed). The TH350 is changed for a 700R4 (4L60) from a 90 Corvette. Doorlocks will disapear because it has a clifford alarm with remote electrical locks (and i have an backup external 12v excess point if something goes wrong) ;) Altered the backup lights to have the white inner part for backup and the outer red rim for brake, corner and normal light. In front have c4 foglights and double low and high beams. So these are very "low profile" changes.

The original color (thanks to this forum) was a silver exterior and interior. When i bought it the exterior was charcoal and the interior black. Now the exterior will be black (maybe with a sub color) and the interieur magnolia with black. I made an image what the interior is going to be like:
peterv2.jpg

The doorpanels need some extra work but this is the idea. When i have some more pictures about this project i'll post them here in the future :)

Groeten Peter.

WOW Is right !!!!!!Awesome pics Peer,as well as an awesome job restoring the 81!!!!!!very,very nice!!!!:upthumbs

Very impressive! How do you keep track of everything that has to go back in and what has to be modified to fit? I'm truly awestruck!

Can't wait to see it finished! :beer

Mike:w

I don't modify that much, specially when i compare my vette to the 82 Twin Turbo is making I'm just doing some simple things.
The trick in doing this is making a lot of photo's and taking it apart yourself. I put everything on a big attic of an old barn we have so everything just lies there next to the next thing. Very easy for my brain to remember :) More updates next time!

Groeten Peter.

Hello everybody,

This project will continue in 2007 so there will be some updates from time to time. If you're interested in this project and want to see pictures from day one please feel free to visit this topic in another forum. It's a dutch forum so all the text is in dutch but there are a lot more pictures there :)

Continuing with the center console, this is a quick mock up without the handbrake and auto-gearstick.
IMG_3628.JPG

Also redone the crossmember to accept a true dual. It's not exactly as high as on the right side but it should do the trick.
IMG_3644.JPG

From a friend I bought a right inner fender. Mine fender would take to much time to repair, this one only had a some problem so easy to fix. btw. I didn't do the polyester stuff but another friend who was kind enough to help me with this. :) After the repair I painted it and after that I put an extra paint-layer on the inside to match the other 3.
IMG_3641.JPG

IMG_3643.JPG

IMG_3648.JPG

After that is was time to put the doors back in. The painter will get them out when painted. But this way we can still make some adjustments before the paint is on everything.
IMG_3646.JPG

IMG_3647.JPG

The new truflex rear bumper needed to be cut to accept the original parts. I wanted the original steel strips back on the bumper because I think they will distribute the tension more equally. After that we test fitted it on the vette. Same with the front bumper. :)
IMG_3650.JPG

IMG_3652.JPG

IMG_3661.JPG

Next up the C4 fog lights. I wanted to change the orange cornering lights with the C4 fog lights. I already altered the cables to accept the fog lights. I've not added a extra button in the interior but linked it to the park lights and driving lights. The fog lights will go on with the park lights but when the driving lights will go on, they'll switch off. This way I don't have to ad an extra button and I can drive longer with the light assembly down :)
I put to much paint stripper on the plastic of the lenses and when I found out it attacked the plastic it already melted some of the lens. Well, throwing it away was not my plan so I looked for a good hard clear plastic that doesn't turn yellow over time and made my own fog lights with clear lenses.
IMG_3664.JPG

IMG_3666.JPG

The next problem was the engine. After I changed the ignition I tried to start it but a no go.. Checked everything 3x but still no go. After I gave up the engine-builder came to help me out. The problem was not that hard.. I centered the distributor in the middle of the connection for spark plug #1. It should be in front so I was off about 10 degrees.. oeps..
I walked around and taped the vette when it was running without an exhaust system, very nice to hear but the sound and image is very crappy. You hear the engine almost die because there where setting the idle rpm. Enjoy!

http://members.home.nl/peter.verbogt/MVI_3670.AVI

The past few weeks I completed the undercarpet at the rear.
IMG_3680.JPG

Putting the headlight assemblies back together. Almost everything is powder-coated, except for the shafts (polished them) and the springs (I tried to paint them black..) After that I fitted them into the vette. But as you can see this one still needs some adjustments.
IMG_3695.JPG

IMG_3698.JPG

IMG_3702.JPG

And finally a picture of the vette with the headlights up and the fog lights in.
IMG_3703.JPG

The vette will go to the painter in about 2 to 3 weeks I hope. After that I still have enough things to do if I want to graduate this year. And of course I need to polish some special things! A couple of months ago I got a package from Gerry (LP) who send my two sparkplugshields I didn't have. I still can't beleave somebody I haven't spoken to in person wants to send me some parts I need free of charge and without me asking for it! So I'm very glad with the shields and want to make them into very mirroring shiny shields! When I'm finished with them I'll post a picture here. So my special thanks goes out to Gerry! :)

Groeten Peter.

Hey pete , WOW is all i can say !!! Your going to have a trophy winner !!!!!!
I can wait to see the final project !!! JA

Good luck again !! Rick

very,very nice work.Your attention to detail is quite evident.

Peter,

You're welcome!

I find myself anxious as well to see your Vette project in its final stages... :beer

GerryLP:cool

Small update :)

A couple of weeks ago the painter picked up the vette on transport to his shop. This is (to my knowledge) the best Corvette painter in Holland, for me his shop is 120 miles away (half way across Holland) not a big problem if you want your vette to be perfect.
IMG_3748.JPG

IMG_3749.JPG

Without a vette to work on in the weekends I started to polish some parts. Gerry gave my two spark plug covers that I missed for free! Even sandblasted them for me so I only need to polish them again. Took me some time to get a nice shine back in but finally they're ready. Unfortunately the flasher highlighted the polished surface to much and took part the nice shine out of it, but the look very nice! Second thing is the little alu plate with the original exterior and interior codes on it, also gave that a nice shine. :)

IMG_3778.JPG

IMG_3789.JPG

Next week I hope to visit the painter, the also is going to repair the damage to my vette and properly close the keyholes in the doors and the hole for the antenna, don't need those anymore. I'll ask if you can make some different paint samples for me which I can choose from. You'll see next time :)

Groeten Peter.

Looking good, Peter!

I imagine that it must be a combination of excitement and nervousness seeing your Vette drive away that way. Definitely keep tabs on the painter...:eek:hnoes :L

Good progress, Peter.. :upthumbs

I'm surprised the law let's you muck around with lights, i guess, the law is a little less stright then in Germany.

Looking good from here :cool

:w
-Stefan

Hiya peter, you think you could make a wiring diagram of your c4 fog lite upgrade to the original wiring..would greatly appreciate it..thanks,Joe!:beer

Hello everybody,

Here I'm with a very small update. The painter is a very busy painter and the C2 before my vette had to be finished first. So they started on my vette a few weeks ago. The right side damage has been repaired (they used half of a new side panel) and now there sanding the entire vette. I did it myself but i left some uneven areas so the are correcting the problem right now. On my request they closed the doorlock holes and the antenna hole. To make the c4 fog lights fit at the right way they're going to attach a little polyester "cutout" on the front bumper.

What is the plan with the vette. First sanding it down so all ditches and things are out of the bodywork. Then a layer of epoxy, also sanding that down to make the bodywork "sharper". After that a base coating to also sand that don't a very little bite. I don't know if the car will get a new base coating or the black paint directly. After the layer(s)? black paint 1 or 2 layers clear paint.

But first I got a package from my good friend Gerry with some nice parts inside the box.
Inside the box where, 2 dynomax ultralow mufflers (stainless) and all the bulbs for my vette with LEDs. Thanks you Gerry :)

The pictures:

IMG_3798.JPG

IMG_3799.JPG

@ the painter:

IMG_3902.jpg

IMG_3906.jpg

IMG_3911.jpg

IMG_3907.jpg

More updates next week :)

Groeten Peter

Peter,

You just got them, for you were away on a trip, right?

Tell me that they did not just get there to you...:ugh:eek:hnoes...and nothing broke? Wow!

Peter,

You just got them, for you were away on a trip, right?

Tell me that they did not just get there to you...:ugh:eek:hnoes...and nothing broke? Wow!

Gerry,

I already got the packages in April :D Remember the pm's and the wooden shoes? ;) Nothing was broken and the mufflers shine like a mirror! Thanks!

Groeten Peter

Gerry,

I already got the packages in April :D Remember the pm's and the wooden shoes? ;) Nothing was broken and the mufflers shine like a mirror! Thanks!

Groeten Peter

oh yeah! duhhh:duh

I have not danced in those shoes in a while...;LOL

I can't wait to check-out your fog lights when the Vette is completely done. Don't forget pictures!

Peter, you rock! What an accomplishment. Keep the pictures coming and good luck with the rest of the build.

Thanks for the compliment Jeff :)

I went to the painter today with a friend of mine. His early C3 is also black and the same color I want mine. His car still needed some little detailing from after the paintjob so we went together to the painter. My vette has already been sanded 2 or 3 times and sits in a layer of epoxieprimer. After some minor work it will be painted black, recieve 3 layers transparent paint. After that it will be waiting in a corner for 2 weeks, then again it will be wet sanded (1200) and receive 2 more layers of transparant. After that I can choice to wet sand the car again with 3000 and then polish the paint. But that is still far away, first see how the black will look on my vette :)
These are todays pictures:

IMG_4293.JPG

IMG_4295.JPG

IMG_4297.JPG

IMG_4298.JPG

IMG_4301.JPG

IMG_4304.JPG

Groeten Peter

And the next update :)
A friend of mine shot some pictures when the car is hardening and waiting for the next layer of clear coat. As far as I know is now has one layer clear coat and will receive 2 more, then sanded down one layer, buffed and again receive 2 clear coat layers.
But it isn't so far yet, these pictures will give a good idea what the vette will look like when it's finished.

DSC10000.jpg

DSC10001.jpg

DSC10002.jpg

DSC10003.jpg

DSC10004.jpg

DSC10020.jpg

DSC10021.jpg

DSC10022.jpg

DSC10027.jpg

DSC10029.jpg

DSC10030.jpg

DSC10032.jpg

DSC10033.jpg

DSC10035.jpg

DSC10036.jpg

Well that's it for now, enjoy the pictures and more updates next time :D

Groeten Peter

Very very nice Peter.. :upthumbs

Cant wait to see the finished product (as you probably cant either :L).

Dont let that C4 drop anything on your car.. :D

:w
-Stefan

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom