Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Planet 67 gets under way...

2ivmzop.jpg
According to the family gardener, you wanna be careful of burying the trunk & roots of the tree. It'll suffocate the tree. Mrs. Mac is impressed by the masonry... but I think I just gained another project...

-Mac

According to the family gardener, you wanna be careful of burying the trunk & roots of the tree. It'll suffocate the tree. Mrs. Mac is impressed by the masonry... but I think I just gained another project...

-Mac

Yeah..I remember hearing something about that. They say you should do the oppisite when putting mulch around a tree base. Most of the time Mulch is piled up around the tree base with sloping sides when it should be piled high on the out side with the lowest part around the tree base.

Hi Mark,

The landscaping is pretty much finished for this year. Just a bit more sod to lay down.

4uusci.jpg

2ai4py8.jpg

As for the garage/shop, the cool temperatures are slowing me down. I'm trying to get 130 of these 1" x 12" pine stained with two coats of semi-transparent, but I need at least 50F/10C several days in a row to get it all done.

fcmskw.jpg

I'm staining the backs before I bang them up on the outer walls. If you don't stain them all around, the moisture can get in from behind and literally push the stain off the front side.

Due to the horrible rainy weather this summer, I'm way behind schedule and will likely pack it all in for the winter soon without finishing this year and get back at it in March.

C'est la vie. ;shrug

P.S. I do have one last bathroom in the house to completely do over during the winter. ;)

Hi Mark,

The landscaping is pretty much finished for this year. Just a bit more sod to lay down.

4uusci.jpg

2ai4py8.jpg

As for the garage/shop, the cool temperatures are slowing me down. I'm trying to get 130 of these 1" x 12" pine stained with two coats of semi-transparent, but I need at least 50F/10C several days in a row to get it all done.

fcmskw.jpg

I'm staining the backs before I bang them up on the outer walls. If you don't stain them all around, the moisture can get in from behind and literally push the stain off the front side.

Due to the horrible rainy weather this summer, I'm way behind schedule and will likely pack it all in for the winter soon without finishing this year and get back at it in March.

C'est la vie. ;shrug

P.S. I do have one last bathroom in the house to completely do over during the winter. ;)

Never give up. Mine got put on the back burner again. it looks as if I will not work on mine again until next year due cash flow problems. My wife says it is because I ordered that 2009 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic last week... :L

It would have not been that bad but then I saw this enclosed trailer that matched it perfectly and couldn't let it just sit there without a new home too...

Have a warm winter and maybe we can start these things back up and maybe get them finished next spring! :beer

According to the family gardener, you wanna be careful of burying the trunk & roots of the tree. It'll suffocate the tree.

Thanks. I was concerned about that too, Mac. I checked with a local arborist and he told me that if the circumference of the wall is well inside the tree's drip line, I shouldn't have much trouble. I didn't cover any of the trunk and there are plenty of roots way out under the lawn on three sides. Also, due to the dramatic dropoff where the tree stands, the soil depth on the side nearest the patio is only about 4 inches......and that accounts for almost half of the circle. I will, however, make a point of watering it a bit extra next summer to get it over the shock.

Hi to Mrs. Mac. :w Make him get back into shape by working that yard next spring. :D

My wife says it is because I ordered that 2009 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic last week... :L

It would have not been that bad but then I saw this enclosed trailer that matched it perfectly and couldn't let it just sit there without a new home too...

Fantastic. We'll be expecting a Harley thread very soon. :thumb

Mac,

Tell your gardener that I've thought over her concerns some more and I think I'll replace some of the topsoil with mulch......maybe a 24" circle around the base of the trunk. Outside of that circle, we'll plant some impatiens in the spring and water them regularly. Hopefully, the birch will stay happy.
:beer

Mac,

Tell your gardener that I've thought over her concerns some more and I think I'll replace some of the topsoil with mulch......maybe a 24" circle around the base of the trunk. Outside of that circle, we'll plant some impatiens in the spring and water them regularly. Hopefully, the birch will stay happy.
:beer
I will relay the message... and she's already been talking about how I should be working out more now that I'm working regular days... :thumb

-Mac

How about one of them their Big Kerosene blaster space heaters that look like rockets. You could heat the joint up and wack out dem boards...:thumb

Or ...did I not notice doors or windows or a garage door... DooooooooooooH..!!

On second thought ..maybe not a good idea in a sealed confined space..

I'm sure there was a rason you didn't go with floor mounted "Radiant Heat"

I know the install cost is very high but I hear it works very well and is inexpensive to operate.

Hi gang,

Progress continues, slowly.

Soffits and eavestroughs (gutters) are finally up and looking good.
14diqrq.jpg

Aluminum caps around all the overhead doors, with lots of extra material to sit under the board & batten siding.
2evce4p.jpg

The final step to close it in for the winter was the door weatherstrips.....they're on. :thumb
2yuegxs.jpg

Depending on how my honey-do list progresses after Christmas, I may get started on the electrical. We'll see.

C'mon Spring. :W

I'll join the sloth' crowd..
Here's looking at the man working:
sloth1-r3-wm.jpg

-Stefan

I'm no Sloth... Big Red Was puking Anti freeez out one of her cyl bolts under the the header. I spent the last two days droping the side exhaust and header ...."Z" bar and ...plugs...and ignition wires spark plugs etc just to clean one bolt and pack it with "permatex #2 and re-torque the bolt.

Of Course I had help on the reassemblly by "Kid_AGain" .... He was my master Torque-r and tool boy go geter while I was eating grease under the vette.

But that beats working in -800* up there where Bob Lives....:D

I'm no Sloth... Big Red Was puking Anti freeez out one of her cyl bolts under the the header. I spent the last two days droping the side exhaust and header ...."Z" bar and ...plugs...and ignition wires spark plugs etc just to clean one bolt and pack it with "permatex #2 and re-torque the bolt.

I just led VNV through EXACTLY that same single lower head bolt leak repair on his 2-year-old 502/502 the day before yesterday; maybe your engines are related :D.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom