Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Post Your Old Solid Axle Photos

Tom Bryant

Administrator
Corvette
1959 black 270hp (9/2/69) 1981 Beige L81(10/20/80)
We all seem to have cool old photos that we have saved off the net or from other sources. Let's post them here. Old race pics, your old Corvette from way back when, cars in the showroom, any old vette related picture is OK.

Please, no new pictures unless it is a new picture of an old Car in another photo.

Here are some that I have collected over time to start.

My 1959 270 horse 4 speed in 1969. It's was 1968 Safari Yellow and has Mickey Thompson cheater slicks. It still had the Ford radio and antenna in the wrong place which has since been removed. It's a no radio car.

Here's a 1960 Cunningham LeMans car.

Tom

A 1959 drag car in Classic Cream.

This '62 belonged to my dad's cousin. It used to prowl the streets in the Walkerton Ontario area during the mid 1960's.

I believe it was originally black and purchased new in Northern Ontario by a police officer. He traded it on a midyear at Gorrie Chevrolet in Toronto. Gorrie painted it red & white then sold it to my dad's cousin.

I had the loan of it for a weekend when I was 17 (1967), that is me in the picture.

Later, the car spent time in the Port Elgin Ontario area and might still exist.

Here's a '57 Corvette at the Akron, Ohio dragstrip (in 1957), and my '53 Corvette (in 1959) with its '57 Buick "nailhead" V-8 with a Harman-Collins roller cam and 3x2's (later replaced by a 6-71 blower and dual WCFB's). :)

Nobody ever loaned me a Corvette when I was 17. :L That must have been a fun time. Can't ever see enough of John's Nailhead '53 either.

Here's one that my friend had in the '60s It was stolen in CA in 1969 when he was in the Marines. It had '58 tail lamps and coves and a diamond tufted interior. The FI engine was bored to 301. Hardtop only.

This picture was in with some other junkyard pictures I ran across. I have no other information on it.

Another sad one.

Quite a collection of parts. I want the hardtop.

Something of interest.

I think this is a '56 that pre-dates the SR2.

We used to see a lot of them done like this.

The Corvair concept fastback.

Anyone remember the movie this shot was from?

Tom

what was the vin?

Nobody ever loaned me a Corvette when I was 17. :L That must have been a fun time. Can't ever see enough of John's Nailhead '53 either.

Here's one that my friend had in the '60s It was stolen in CA in 1969 when he was in the Marines. It had '58 tail lamps and coves and a diamond tufted interior. The FI engine was bored to 301. Hardtop only.
THE OLD Dave MacDonald/ Joe Freitas 57 race car had 58 tail lights when sold. Joe sold it in 65, then that guy sold it to a Torance cop who had it a couple of years and sold to a guy who then had it stolen. I know the vin number and even have the original pink slip with MacDonald's name on it. Pictures of Joe's 'tribute' car

I think this is a '56 that pre-dates the SR2.
Tom, it is the original 57 SS. Car was sold to a GM exective in Michigan. He and his wife went on vacation, and left the home with their caretaker, who took it for a joy ride, and wrapped it around a tree.

Car was sold to a friend of the exective in Alburqerque, NM. This was the last car Mike Philsbury found before he passed in 1996.

Car has been restored and is owned by a collector in Ohio. Very neat piece of Corvette history

Anyone remember the movie this shot was from?

Tom
Car has Mickey Thompson "RADAR" wheels. The roll bar looks like Tony Settember's old 58 silver / red FI race car, and the desert background is "anywhere" Southern California upper desert / Palm Springs.

Where is that car today?

Tom, was the movie called Hot Rods To Hell?

I think you are right. I see a quick clip from this movie on Speed once in a while.

Tom, it is the original 57 SS. Car was sold to a GM exective in Michigan. He and his wife went on vacation, and left the home with their caretaker, who took it for a joy ride, and wrapped it around a tree.

Car was sold to a friend of the exective in Alburqerque, NM. This was the last car Mike Philsbury found before he passed in 1996.

Car has been restored and is owned by a collector in Ohio. Very neat piece of Corvette history

The guy that posted these photos on a hot rod site I frequent said they were taken in NM and the car had been sold back east. He said that the NM owner had purchased a '57 to use as a parts car to restore the SS and instead restored the parts car.

A few years ago I posted pictures of my friend's '57 on the NCRS Tech Board just to see if anyone remembered it. I said nothing of it being stolen. I got a reply from a guy in the St. Louis area that said it looked like the car a guy he knows that was a Marine brought back from CA in 1969. Story was that he got it dirt cheap from a Marine that needed cash to go home. We exchanged emails a few times and the last I got from him indicated that he was going to see the guy that weekend and would get back to me. I never heard from him again nor did he ever return any further emails. I think I got really close to finding the car. I think that the guy that brought it back from CA was either the thief or he knew it was stolen when he bought it.

Tom

I wonder what the story is about this picture?

I really like that #77 racer. '56/'57s make the best looking vintage racers. Know anything about this one?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom