Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Price of the 2009 ZR-1

What do you think the 2009 ZR-1 MSRP will be?

• $80,000

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • $85,000

Votes: 12 8.4%
  • $90,000

Votes: 19 13.3%
  • $95,000

Votes: 43 30.1%
  • $100,000

Votes: 24 16.8%
  • $105,000

Votes: 12 8.4%
  • $110,000

Votes: 24 16.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
:louThis ZR1 is intended to rock the Fararri market! It is aimed at the smaller group of folks who will buy it vs the existing Corvette market. Corvette has always stood for value but this car will expand the audience up the "food" chain to an audience that expects a lot better level of quality/refinement/power. Not a Fararri, but more in that league. GM wants & needs to steal market share from those who would buy one but ***** about the interior and steering, etc. GM is going to fix most of the rest of these things and they will gain high-end market share by doing so.

I also really think that the mule you have seen so far will be nothing close to what you see in production when it comes out, except the engine. It will look more radical and be a much better quality. If it isn't, GM will have really screwed up because there are just too many really powerful cars entering the market in the next 2 years that will compete for the base Corvette market. Think Camaro, Nissan GTR, Challenger, etc.:W

Am I not correct in that there has been a standard, Z06, and ZR1 in the same year before?
Nope. Never has. RPO ZR1 was available in the early seventies and very few were built. RPO ZR1 appeared again in 1990-1995.

1963 was the first and only year for the Z06 until it was resurrected in 2001 - 6 years after the ZR-1 was killed off.

There is still a break even point and GM is still an automotive manufacture of cars. Unless they rob Peter to pay Paul. I would certainly think they are trying for some type of profitability on the ZR-1. The current Z06 is probably doing well for GM (I have no data) but I would guess if GM eliminates the Z06 they are going to lose money. I know I can not afford the current Z06, so the new ZR-1 would for sure be out.

Even if the production line does produce the ZR-1 which I am pretty sure they will. They have to have a large enough volume to maintain trained line employees.parts etc. Another words they best have the market there.

(As an aside) I could probably afford to purchase a C-6, Z06, but I myself just cannot justify the increased monthly payments I would have to make. Also my doing this would probably mean I was only purchasing as a status symbol. What would probably happen is that I would get a used C-6, Z06 when the prices get just a little lower. I did my current Z-6 that way, bought an 03 in 05, put a hefty amount down to lower my payment

I fully understand there are many for whom the money is no issue, but then there is also a great many where money is an issue.

I guess we will just have to wait and see, but one needs to remember the two-seater market is limited. I wanted a Z06 as I wanted something more then the standard corvette had to offer, but would I go the over 100 grand route for a car. probably not.

:upthumbs

I am in the same boat. Bought a used '05 vert that I just love! But clearly, this car isn't going to be for you and I. But then, neither is a new 2008 vert or a Z06!​

Like I said, (I'm guessing here of course) this is a car for an upscale market. This guy wants a Vette but has a dislike of certain quality/performance issues and we all know those issues are out there. Otherwise there wouldn't be all the base mods like coilover suspensions, SCs, etc being made. Some people just don't want to bother with those mods. They want it great coming off the showroom floor.​

This guy can afford a Porsche and maybe a Ferrari but really wants that Vette because it is an American icon. To him, the $90-95k price tag is ok but he definitely wants a higher level of quality car than the present cars offer. Sit in a Ferrari, a Lambo, or a Porsche. There is a very apparent higher level of quality that you just cannot deny and it does matter to someone who can afford it. That market is where you can make a lot of money if you do it right. The Corvette just hasn't played there in an effective way yet, but it could and, I think, it will.;)

:D Would I take one? In a heartbeat. I'm sure that it will be more than an amazing car to drive and it is great looking, BUT...to me that is the minimum expectation. I'm glad they put Magnetic Selective ride as standard and the list of other standard equipment is really impressive.

;squint: At the same time...the hood is just too Hotwheels for my liking and after all the years of hearing complaints about chintzy interiors, I can't believe they left the interior of a new >$90k Corvette looking like everyone elses '08 (and even like my 05)! One more thing...who is going to service this car? I cannot even get decent service from a GM dealer for a base 05 convertible.

However...anyone with a LMB Z06 who wants to sell theirs for a ZR1 can leave me a message.;)

Well, now that it's out I'm more convinced than ever that this ZR-1 isn't going to cost more than $85k to $90k max!!!!!!!!!! A revamped Z06 isn't going to justify another $30k, absolutely no way! As nice as it looks, if this is the final version of the car, $90k is pushing the limit!

When an automaker brings out an all new sports car, especially one rumored to cost $100k which is $30,000 more than their present flagship car, buyers expect to see a ALL NEW CAR and not the present car with modification! That's what the new ZR-1 is, a modified Z06! I really don't mind a modified car like this but I hope all the rumors of a $100k price tag are blown out of proportion, it just isn't worth $30k more than a Z06! Hopefully GM will surprise everybody and release the car at $10k to $15k (max) over the present Z06, if they don't - GOOD LUCK!

:nono

EFE Z06

EFE Z06... we have an extensive amount of information and photos regarding the new ZR1 on the Corvette Action Center - Check it out! ;)

2009 ZR1 Corvette Gallery Click

HEIR APPARENT: 2009 CHEVROLET CORVETTE ZR1 RECLAIMS DOMINION AS THE 'KING OF THE HILL' Click

MORE THAN PERFORMANCE: CORVETTE ZR1’S CHASSIS AND SUSPENSION DELIVER A CONFIDENT, COMFORTABLE DRIVING EXPERIENCE Click

PERFORMANCE-DRIVEN DESIGN SUPPORTS THE CAPABILITY OF THE CORVETTE ZR1 Click

CORVETTE ZR1: IT’S GOOD TO BE THE KING Click

2009 CORVETTE ZR1 POWERED BY THE MOST POWERFUL PRODUCTION ENGINE EVER FROM GM: THE SUPERCHARGED LS9 SMALL-BLOCK V-8 Click

We also have an article by Hib Halverson - RUTHLESS PURSUIT OF POWER: FINAL CHAPTER: Our First Look at GM's Supercharged Snake Skinner, the LS9 Click

All for your reading pleasure and brought to you by your friends at the Corvette Action Center. :upthumbs

:wJane Ann

EFE Z06... we have an extensive amount of information and photos regarding the new ZR1 on the Corvette Action Center - Check it out! ;)

2009 ZR1 Corvette Gallery Click

HEIR APPARENT: 2009 CHEVROLET CORVETTE ZR1 RECLAIMS DOMINION AS THE 'KING OF THE HILL' Click

MORE THAN PERFORMANCE: CORVETTE ZR1’S CHASSIS AND SUSPENSION DELIVER A CONFIDENT, COMFORTABLE DRIVING EXPERIENCE Click

PERFORMANCE-DRIVEN DESIGN SUPPORTS THE CAPABILITY OF THE CORVETTE ZR1 Click

CORVETTE ZR1: IT’S GOOD TO BE THE KING Click

2009 CORVETTE ZR1 POWERED BY THE MOST POWERFUL PRODUCTION ENGINE EVER FROM GM: THE SUPERCHARGED LS9 SMALL-BLOCK V-8 Click

We also have an article by Hib Halverson - RUTHLESS PURSUIT OF POWER: FINAL CHAPTER: Our First Look at GM's Supercharged Snake Skinner, the LS9 Click

All for your reading pleasure and brought to you by your friends at the Corvette Action Center. :upthumbs

In 2006 the Z06 came out at $65800 and was roughly $23k more than the standard C6, but the difference in technology was significant, very significant. A ton of cost went into the aluminum frame, larger brakes, hand built 427 engine, carbon fiber floor and fenders and magnesium parts! This new ZR-1 is not adding that many costly improvements over the Z06, that's why I say no more than $20k increase max!

$100,000? NO WAY!!!

:crazy

EFE Z06

What it will be and what it should be are two different animals

Now that's a STRONG OPINION!!! :boogie another analogy comes to mind ;LOL :chuckle

Reading about the new CAFE restrictions, and what Hib wrote, it might very well take on a life of it's own when it comes to Actual Purchase Price, forget the MSRP. Anyone Remember what the 1978 Pace Car was selling for, and what the MSRP was back then :eek

Supply and DEMAND with a dim future for "muscle" cars might drive the price way beyond $100,000!!!

My crystal ball is very clouding, but then again it's just another Opinion.. :boogie

Bud Dougherty
Amarillo, TX

In 2006 the Z06 came out at $65800 and was roughly $23k more than the standard C6, but the difference in technology was significant, very significant. A ton of cost went into the aluminum frame, larger brakes, hand built 427 engine, carbon fiber floor and fenders and magnesium parts! This new ZR-1 is not adding that many costly improvements over the Z06, that's why I say no more than $20k increase max!

$100,000? NO WAY!!!

EFE Z06

$100,000? NO WAY!!!

EFE Z06

I disagree the Z06 has more technology over the standard C6 in comparison to the ZR1 over the Z06.

Have you read about the improvements? A top of the line supercharger? Intercooler? Same carbon ceramic brakes as the Bugatti Veyron? State of the art carbon fiber throughout? New transmission? There really isn't anything left to cover. We all knew it wasn't going to be AWD or mid-engine, so what more were you expecting?

As far as front-engine, RWD is concerned, this car is pushing the boundaries of performance and bang for the buck like we have never seen before.

$100,000? NO WAY!!!

EFE Z06
Can you take $20K and build up a current Z06 to the exact specs of the ZR1? I don't think so.
Could you do it with $30K? Maybe.
BUT...you aren't going to have a factory warranty and the (resale) value of the car won't be retained as much as the factory car.

With regards to your comparison of changes, many simliar changes took place this time around as well. Body panel modifications, significant brake upgrades, significant engine upgrades, etc.

As well, let's not forget that R&D isn't free. That needs to be figured into the cost as well.

While you might think it's worth $100K, compare it not to the current Corvette (base nor Z06), but to other comparable cars in it's class from Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo, etc. In that light, it's a steal at $100K. But then again, so is the Z06 at it's price.
I believe that there will be plenty of people that will be more than happy to fork over 100 large for this car.

Lets see here?

The LS3 engine already exist and is a cheaper than the LS7 to start with, so modifying it and adding a SC takes it up a couple of thousand higher than the LS7.

The body panels already exist, so GM makes a few MINOR changes in it, no big deal!

The brakes? Here we have a big expense but not as expensive as aftermarket, remember GM buys at below wholesale in the thousands, a few thousand at the most!

A little more Carbon fiber (roof), the molds are already in place and changing material is maybe a $1k to $1.5k max!

I haven't read which transmission, but the new 2008 TR-6060 used in the C6, Z06, Viper & GT500 is good for up to 1000 horsepower, so no extra expense there.

Now we come to demand. As I've stated many times on several forums, if idiots with more money than brains run out and pay over MSRP then they create a false sense of value, all one needs to do is sit tight and refuse to pay over sticker, the dealers will eventually drop the price or sit on a ton of money on their lots! Look what happened with one of the hottest sports car buys in recent history (the C6 Z06), there are plenty of dealers now selling for $6k to $8k off sticker. In a year or two after the ZR-1 hits the market, the same thing will happen, even if the production quantity is small! Remember the C4 ZR-1?

And we don't need to compare the ZR-1 with exotics, the present Z06 is now the standard to compare it with since 75% of the new ZR-1 is a Z06!

Bottom line, this car isn't going to bring very many buyers to the table at $100k a copy, and the only ones that will buy are those that money is no issue and can afford to have what many others can't afford. I don't believe GM is aiming for just that small sector of people.

:chuckle

EFE Z06

...... This new ZR-1 is not adding that many costly improvements over the Z06, that's why I say no more than $20k increase max!

$100,000? NO WAY!!!

EFE Z06

I'm not disagreeing with you on your point. I don't know what price GM will ask for it. As a matter of fact, I originally guessed more than 90k and less than 100k - so I split the difference at 95k in the thread poll.

...it might very well take on a life of it's own when it comes to Actual Purchase Price, forget the MSRP......

improvements... top of the line supercharger... intercooler... same carbon ceramic brakes as the Bugatti Veyron... state of the art carbon fiber throughout... new transmission...

There really isn't anything left to cover. We all knew it wasn't going to be AWD or mid-engine, so what more were you expecting?

As far as front-engine, RWD is concerned, this car is pushing the boundaries of performance and bang for the buck like we have never seen before.

Good points Brett and Yoda - which brings us to 'dre's observation...

While you might think it's worth $100K, compare it not to the current Corvette (base nor Z06), but to other comparable cars in it's class from Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo, etc. In that light, it's a steal at $100K. But then again, so is the Z06 at it's price.

I believe that there will be plenty of people that will be more than happy to fork over 100 large for this car.

I think you're likely closest to correct as anyone 'dre. Because no matter what GM asks for it, there will be plenty of folks willing to pay more to be the first on their block - even in their town - to have one. :cool

JMHO of course.

I was one of very few that predicted the C6 Z06 would come out at between $62k and $68k in 2005, almost everybody thought it would list at no less than $75k to $80k. They were way off and you know why? Because they didn't factor in what GM actually pays for materials, you gotta remember that whatever we pay for parts, they pay about 60% to 80% less.

I predicted $85k to $90k, I still stand fast on that prediction!

:upthumbs

EFE Z06

Lets see here?

The LS3 engine already exist and is a cheaper than the LS7 to start with, so modifying it and adding a SC takes it up a couple of thousand higher than the LS7.

The body panels already exist, so GM makes a few MINOR changes in it, no big deal!

The brakes? Here we have a big expense but not as expensive as aftermarket, remember GM buys at below wholesale in the thousands, a few thousand at the most!

A little more Carbon fiber (roof), the molds are already in place and changing material is maybe a $1k to $1.5k max!

I haven't read which transmission, but the new 2008 TR-6060 used in the C6, Z06, Viper & GT500 is good for up to 1000 horsepower, so no extra expense there.

Now we come to demand. As I've stated many times on several forums, if idiots with more money than brains run out and pay over MSRP then they create a false sense of value, all one needs to do is sit tight and refuse to pay over sticker, the dealers will eventually drop the price or sit on a ton of money on their lots! Look what happened with one of the hottest sports car buys in recent history (the C6 Z06), there are plenty of dealers now selling for $6k to $8k off sticker. In a year or two after the ZR-1 hits the market, the same thing will happen, even if the production quantity is small! Remember the C4 ZR-1?

And we don't need to compare the ZR-1 with exotics, the present Z06 is now the standard to compare it with since 75% of the new ZR-1 is a Z06!

Bottom line, this car isn't going to bring very many buyers to the table at $100k a copy, and the only ones that will buy are those that money is no issue and can afford to have what many others can't afford. I don't believe GM is aiming for just that small sector of people.

:chuckle

EFE Z06

I'll tell you what I see here...I see WAY TOO MUCH assumption based upon little fact and documentation.

When you can show me purchase orders and accounting sheets clearly listing the cost of all materials associated with building the ZR1, AND show me that those costs and numbers are in-line with your assumptions, then I'll happily agree.

Until then, I see your post as nothing more than opinion based upon conjecture and hear-say.

Sorry....

I'll tell you what I see here...I see WAY TOO MUCH assumption based upon little fact and documentation.

When you can show me purchase orders and accounting sheets clearly listing the cost of all materials associated with building the ZR1, AND show me that those costs and numbers are in-line with your assumptions, then I'll happily agree.

Until then, I see your post as nothing more than opinion based upon conjecture and hear-say.
Sorry....

I guess being in business for myself and manufacturing for over 12 years has taught me something about manufacturing costs. Based on manufacturing costs and not retail or even wholesale, I predicted the 2006 Z06 at much less than those who know nothing about manufacturing costs (I was correct), and that's what my prediction is based on in this case, no assumptions needed.

That said, GM may bring this car out at $100k and because everybody has hyped it up so much - they may sell them, but the sales will be short lived if the MSRP is that high. There was just as much hype when the C4 ZR-1 came out, I remember the electricity for months and months! Now what's become of it?

AT $85k to $90k GM will have people lining up! At $100k all the "Money is no issue" people will probably run to the stealerships and be first on the block to own one, but when those buyers all dry up reality will set in and sales will drop off like a led balloon!

JMHO

:w

EFE Z06

There was just as much hype when the C4 ZR-1 came out, I remember the electricity for months and months! Now what's become of it?
Well, C4 ZR1's are still out there and they are still very good cars. However, they got eclipsed by newer models, just as the C6 ZR1 will, as does pretty much any car that continues to evolve through the ages. What car today doesn't perform no less than equal to it's predecessor from 20+ years ago? Regardless of what the C6 ZR1 will be in the future, it doesn't necessarily negate it's worth today.

If GM didn't price the ZR1 far enough away from the cost of a Z06, then what would be the incentive to bother buying a Z06? Maybe they should just drop the Z06 and have just the base model and the ZR1? (Actually, then you'd have the same scenario as the C4 lineup. Base model and 2x expensive ZR1 model.)

And really, wouldn't you as a current Z06 owner be just a weeeeee bit p¡ssed off if GM came out with a notably better car for a few bucks more than for what you just dropped on your former top dog? I know I would be.

I'd venture that there's more to the pricing of this car than just performance mods and recouping the R&D involved.
:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom