Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Quadrajet, out of business?

like2drive

Corvette
1981 beige
Just considering many different options. Is Rochester out of business? I know that Eldebrock(?) did make a similar carb (1901?) but the Quadrajet folks made them stop. If QJ no longer mfgs, what s the problem w/letting someone else give it a go? One option I'm considering is going to non-emission crate engine, carb, spark, etc. but I don't like the Holly or Eldebrock carbs and most of the rebuilts are questionable (possible exception of Jet's)

This is where you come in: any suggestions? Maybe a TPI? (going backwards from "non emission")
know of a good replacement? Do they still make AFB Carters? (I'm showing my age)
Whatever you come back with, I know I'll benefit from it, so, thanks in advance! jim

Q-Jets haven't been made for 20 years, nor have Carter AFB's. You can go with a used/rebuilt Q-Jet, or with aftermarket Holleys or Edelbrocks; not many folks make carburetors any more.

:beer

Almost any QJet can be rebuilt and there are a number of people that do it. You can get replacement jets and rods from Edelbrock. A properly tuned QJet carb is still the best street/strip carb out there.

But don't trust them!
Care to explain that a little more for the people that don't know your reasoning? (like me...) :confused

The Edelbrock carb is basically the same as the old Carters.

This is where you come in: any suggestions? Maybe a TPI? (going backwards from "non emission")

I am partial to TPI and late model fuel injection...

However, you cannot beat a Qjet for the money. A TPI or EFI swap costs around $500- $1000. You can get a nice Qjet for $350 or less.

I like the bullet-proof nature of EFI. The gas mileage is a little better- however it is not justifiable for the cost if that is the only factor you consider. I also like the tune-it-once-and-walk-away nature. EFI can compensate for changes in air density and sti provide a balanced mixtue (carbs are static from tune).

Toubleshooting is easier because the ECM can point you in the direction of systems that may have problems.

Most EFI retro-fits will pass sniffers even without their emissions enabled (these engines really do hover around 14:1 mixtures).

If you go with EFI- do it once and do it right.

Holly rebuilts, Tpi, etc

Man, appreciate the good come-back. I remember reading something Lars wrote about the rebuilt Q-Jets ..Holly, Eldebrock, auto store brands not being very good, but Jet had pretty good rebuilds. I respect his opinion. The locals that claim to be able to rebuild is $200 "pot-luck" proposition.

The TPI is feasible but aren't there a number of sensors (like I already have) and a ECM that has to be dealt with? Also, assuming I would have a new crate...290 or 330 hp, What considerations would be made concerning the intake, spark , etc? Seems to me that it would cost more than $1000 even if I do all the work...which I usually do. good stuff! jim

I remember reading something Lars wrote about the rebuilt Q-Jets ..Holly, Eldebrock, auto store brands not being very good

That's why I said don't trust them. Holley forgot what quality was a long time ago. God bless, Sensei

like2drive, Q-Jets are really neat carbs. Rebuild them yourself (if not overly warped or corroded or...) or find one of many reputable rebuilders - there are plenty out there who know there stuff. I don't recommend buying a rebuilt one from a local parts store or your 'typical' local rebuilder. But again there are rebuilders that you can find through the web who know how to properly rebuild one. I've heard good things about the brand new ones sold under the Edelbrock name but have no personal experience.

TPI is of course another step up in performance etc...

Q-Jets haven't been made for 20 years, nor have Carter AFB's.

Actually Q-Jets (and AFBs) have been made since then. Not by Rochester but Edelbrock (or Weber?). I'm not sure if they are still being produced as of today but plenty of brand new ones are still in the supply lines and avail.

RP / AC Rochester

Haven't made carbs for a long time. Rochester Products is still here in Rochester....just a new name, spun off by GM . Delphi.

Try the Edelbrock QJet

Trust me, you can put the Edelbrock QJet on there and she will look as good as the original QJet.

When we got our 81 Coupe, the last owner (bonehead) put a 650 CFM DP Holley carb on there.
It was the worst carb on the planet. I used that carb as a boat anchor, nah sold it to some sap down the pub.
I put the Edlebrock QJet on top of the old girl, straight from the box and took her out. Let me say that this carb awoke this starved small block.

The carb is the 1903 795 CFM job.

More airflow mixed with the right amount of petrol = HP/ Torque
The QJet flows more than the 650DP Holley of course, so this is why the difference in power now.

The next step would be a FI system.
Cheaper for you guys stateside.

Cheers

Tony

Q-Jets haven't been made for 20 years, nor have Carter AFB's. You can go with a used/rebuilt Q-Jet, or with aftermarket Holleys or Edelbrocks; not many folks make carburetors any more.

Is the Carter AFB the same as the Carter QJet I have on my 72?

Is the Carter AFB the same as the Carter QJet I have on my 72?

Nope - The Carter Q-Jet is a regular Q-Jet manufactured for GM by Carter as a secondary production source, using GM tooling. The AFB is a totally different carburetor, designed and manufactured by Carter.

Last time I checked ... at least a year ago ... Edelbrock had discontinued offering Qjet clones (edelbrock's 19XX series) ... but still offered parts.

Last time I checked ... at least a year ago ... Edelbrock had discontinued offering Qjet clones (edelbrock's 19XX series) ... but still offered parts.

I checked recently too and unfortunately you're right - that's what it looks like. Up until a couple/few years ago Edelbrock used to make the QJet along w/ the AFB. ;shrug That's unfortunate. I don't think they were clones - my understanding was Edelbrock owned the original tooling and manufacturered the QJets themselves. I guess that tooling has been 'retired'.

As I recall, when manufactured/distributed thru Edelbrock they were somewhat expensive relative to the Edelbrock Performer (AFB) and even Holley and that might have contributed to their discontinuation.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom